Where is my proof of purchase

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got my pb 15". Is my proof of purchase the label on the side of the box?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, it's the barcode on the side of the box.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Its also in the form of an email that apple sends on to you, i normally get these a few days after delivery.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    t9000t9000 Posts: 34member
    I thought when I bought this thing that it came with Word. I now notice it is a stupid trail version, is there anyway to get word without buying that damn expensive office:mac, I have office on my pc so all I really need on my pb is word. I have no use for all the other apps.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    virtualPC will run your windows version of word. Why not try openoffice? same thing just different layout, and its free
  • Reply 5 of 14
    VirtualPC? But I need to be able to transfer my word files from my pc to my pb. When I am writing papers for school i will save them incomplete and take them with me and write more on my pb.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by T9000

VirtualPC? But I need to be able to transfer my word files from my pc to my pb. When I am writing papers for school i will save them incomplete and take them with me and write more on my pb.

VirtualPC is running a version of windows on your mac and if your using your PC as your main comp while at home you can still transfer from your PC to you mac and edit them in word. You can do the same thing with openoffice as it readss and writes .doc files. I suggested VPC as you already own a copy for windows and would be a cheaper alternative than buying a fresh copy for OSX.

Though why not use your PB as your main machine at home? Hook up your monitor,keyboard, mouse, printer, net etc to your PB and sideline the PC.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I would do that, but my pc is mroe powerful then my pb. It is self built and a really good machine, I have never had any problems. The openoffice sounds like a good idea. As long as it can read .doc files I don't see why I would need anything else. Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by T9000

I thought when I bought this thing that it came with Word. I now notice it is a stupid trail version, is there anyway to get word without buying that damn expensive office:mac

If your Word documents don't use embedded content or tables, TextEdit should work for you. It reads and writes .doc format well enough for my use.

OpenOffice is, frankly, a piss-poor solution for Word compatibility and should only be used out of desperation. It uses the bizarro X11 environment and doesn't interact well at all with the rest of the system. It is the most un-Mac-like solution available and will cause the most headaches in trying to set it up and play nicely with the rest of the computer.

OpenOffice is a hacker's/programmer's/linux guru's toy. It is still far from being usable as a Mac app.

I would instead recommend investing a few dollars in Nisus Writer Express or AppleWorks.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    It aint that bad brad

As for apple works well that aint the best with MS word docs either.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    or just get Office Academic Version

it's worth it and it is relatively affordable
  • Reply 11 of 14
    True, AppleWorks isn't great and I don't like it much either, but at an education price of $40, it can't be beat. It offers several faculties that TextEdit lacks, such as headers and footers, and it also comes with all the other features like the drawing, painting, spreadsheet, and database tools.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

True, AppleWorks isn't great and I don't like it much either, but at an education price of $40, it can't be beat. It offers several faculties that TextEdit lacks, such as headers and footers, and it also comes with all the other features like the drawing, painting, spreadsheet, and database tools.

So does openoffice at an even better edu price of £0 $0!!

Now i know its X11, but what else is there thats free, reads/writes word docs (with tables etc ) has spreadsheet,, calc, drawing (full office suit, MS compatable)? What else with all that thats free? I rest my case

It really has progressed since sun made it opensource.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Now i know its X11, but what else is there thats free, reads/writes word docs (with tables etc ) has spreadsheet,, calc, drawing (full office suit, MS compatable)? What else with all that thats free?

Free? Sure. Linux is free. Am I running Linux here instead of Mac OS X? Hell no.

TCO. Total cost of ownership. In this sense, Open Office is a lot more expensive. It's going to take more of my time figuring out and compensating for its flaws than it is worth. To me and most people, time = money.

There are places where I'll allow some leeway with "cheap" software, but when it comes to things that I'll be spending many hours with over a period of time and that delays and problems will add up and compound significantly over such a long time, it's well worth the relatively small monetary cost upfront. That's a big reason I use Macs. Open source and freeware apps certainly have their place; I use several free titles on a regular basis. The difference is that these apps have matured to a fully usable stage of development.

I haven't tried Open Office since the beginning of the summer. From what I have read, very few changes have been made since then. Since you seem so insistent on it being a workable solution, though, I'm going to try installing it again this afternoon.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    i can understand wher eyour comming from, but if all your doing is importing and exporting .doc files via openoffices writer then there isnt really all that much to learn, It is laid out just like MS word.

I have word98 which i run in classic, word is def a lot more snappier,even in classic that openoffice and the times font in O.F is well, crap, a slight change to lucidagrande and its bob on. .doc files open perfectly with the formatting spot on. if your using a word pro all day long then you'd def want to be using a native word pro.

For those of us who dont have the spare change to feed bills kids openoffice is a wonderfull free alternative. And as its free it is a very good and easy to use replacement or stand in while the rest of try to convince the bank manager why we need to fork out $499 for a full offcie suite.