Completely useless trivia

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

When NASA first set out to put a man on the moon they spent hundreads of thousands of dollars developing a pen that could write in a zero gravity invironment. You can buy the Space Pen now for about $29.95 on late night TV.

The Russians, however used pencils when they were in space

That's actually quite bogus. An independent entrepreneuer spent millions developing the pen and then sold it to NASA for 1.99 each. The Russians did indeed use pencils but lead pencils were a very severe potential hazard in space. Lead fragments could get into the electronics and cause shorts.

*BANG!*

Another stupid urban legend bites the dust.
  • Reply 62 of 134
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

That's actually quite bogus. An independent entrepreneuer spent millions developing the pen and then sold it to NASA for 1.99 each.

So we agree that NASA spent *BANG!* Bucks for the pen. I never said that they did not use an independent source. everything NASA does comes from an independent source. Space technology goes to the lowest bidder. Boing and Lockheed are good examples. (If only I could spell)

Quote:

[i]

The Russians did indeed use pencils but lead pencils were a very severe potential hazard in space. Lead fragments could get into the electronics and cause shorts.

*BANG!* [/B]

I did not know that. I guess zero gravity can cause some strange problems

Quote:

[i]Another stupid urban legend bites the dust. [/B]

*Bang* no dust here
  • Reply 63 of 134
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

So we agree that NASA spent *BANG!* Bucks for the pen. I never said that they did not use an independent source. everything NASA does comes from an independent source. Space technology goes to the lowest bidder. Boing and Lockheed are good examples. (If only I could spell)

Hey dorko. NASA never paid the guy a penny (other than the purchase of the individuals pens at 2.95 each). He developed it on his own.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Another stupid urban legend officially BITCHED!
  • Reply 64 of 134
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    I hate it when I reply, then re-read the thread and realize I repreated someone else.
  • Reply 65 of 134
    damn you guys with that snopes.com site, u just wasted 2 hours of my day!

great site tho
  • Reply 66 of 134
    the original line in the stones song "sympathy for the devil" was "i shouted out who killed kennedy" and during the recording process bobby was killed, and the line was changed to "the kennedys".
  • Reply 67 of 134
    An octopus can squish down to fit through any hole, as long as its eyes can pass through.
  • Reply 68 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

it is not possible for a human to lick his/her own elbow

It's true, I once tried for a really long time.
  • Reply 69 of 134
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Breaking News: Maxim alters photographs! OMG OMG!!

http://transparentsmoke.com/tsmokeblog.php?p=98&more=1
  • Reply 70 of 134
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

That's actually quite bogus. An independent entrepreneuer spent millions developing the pen and then sold it to NASA for 1.99 each. The Russians did indeed use pencils but lead pencils were a very severe potential hazard in space. Lead fragments could get into the electronics and cause shorts.

*BANG!*

Another stupid urban legend bites the dust.

They used crayons...especially " Soviet red " ones...ha ha
  • Reply 71 of 134
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

A gold fish's memory is approximately 3 seconds long. So, it's whole life, it is constantly and genuinely amused by swimming back and forth in its tiny bowl. "Hey, I've never been over here before."

This is also quite false. Some aquarium fish are actually smart enough to separate who feeds them from other people. Which is also... useless trivia...
  • Reply 72 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebulous

An octopus can squish down to fit through any hole, as long as its eyes can pass through.

Have you seen the documentary videos where captive octopuses were sneaking out of their own tanks in the middle of the night to feed on crabs in tanks on the other side of the room? The thing that blew my mind was how they'd scamper back across the floor and into their own tanks again after finishing their meals.

It wasn't even a predefined research experiment. Researchers just noticed the disappearing crabs, so they set up a video camera to find out what the heck was going on.

I never want to be left alone in a room with a large octopus.
  • Reply 73 of 134
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Please post a link! Now that's something I'd like to see.
  • Reply 74 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Please post a link! Now that's something I'd like to see.

I remember it was one of those PBS/Disc/TLC type shows, but I don't remember which one. It's mentioned in right column/blurb of the link below though, so it might have been Nature:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/critters/octopus.html
  • Reply 75 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Breaking News: Maxim alters photographs! OMG OMG!!

http://transparentsmoke.com/tsmokeblog.php?p=98&more=1

It's the end of the world!

Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Have you seen the documentary videos where captive octopuses were sneaking out of their own tanks in the middle of the night to feed on crabs in tanks on the other side of the room? The thing that blew my mind was how they'd scamper back across the floor and into their own tanks again after finishing their meals.

Damn! That's cool.
  • Reply 76 of 134
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    As far as Raccoons are concerned..your house has the best smelling garbage.....& don't they love telling their pals....
  • Reply 77 of 134
    Water is wet & the ground is hard.
  • Reply 78 of 134
    mercury is a liquid because of relativistic contraction of its outer orbital electrons... (their rms velocity begins to approach close to the speed of light at that distance)
  • Reply 79 of 134
    Following up on the crab angle, check out the video halfway down this page:

http://www.darwinawards.com/personal...al2003-01.html

I don't think the story is true but the (unrelated) video is cool.
  • Reply 80 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Following up on the crab angle, check out the video halfway down this page:

http://www.darwinawards.com/personal...al2003-01.html

I don't think the story is true but the (unrelated) video is cool.

This is exactly why i dont go swimming in the sea!!!