publishing/design/layout software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I need Quark on my PowerMac (G4 running Jaguar), but can't afford it right now. Is there a cheaper Quark-like program out there that has much of the same functionality as Quark ... but for MUCH less?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

I need Quark on my PowerMac (G4 running Jaguar), but can't afford it right now. Is there a cheaper Quark-like program out there that has much of the same functionality as Quark ... but for MUCH less?

indesign is cheaper by about $200. you could also look into buying an older liscense of quark. 4.x or 5.x probably won't set you back to far and both run fairly well in classic. another option would be to go with freehand. cost about half that of quark, has some page layout functionality, plus is a solid illustration/drawing tool. beyond that you have packages like stone design and canvas, but they are a little out of the main stream, so printer support may not be so good, depending on your needs.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    In short, how much less?

I know of a few places that are offering older version of Quark for about half or less. Also if you want the new Quark 6, if you are a student you can get educational pricing, and that also is about half. How soon did you need this? I may be upgrading soon and if you don't mind InDesign 2 (not CS) then let me know.

~tommy
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by tommy_thompson

In short, how much less?

I know of a few places that are offering older version of Quark for about half or less. Also if you want the new Quark 6, if you are a student you can get educational pricing, and that also is about half. How soon did you need this? I may be upgrading soon and if you don't mind InDesign 2 (not CS) then let me know.

~tommy

Realistically, I can't afford more than $200 ... and I'd really like something under that.

Although I'm willing to put up with something that only runs in classic, I'm hoping to find something that runs in X without problems.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    InDesign academic is roughly around the 200-250 US range afaik.

I believe there's no academic version of QuarkXPress....
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Leonis, Quark Xpress is offered at an educational discount at many colleges and universities. It isn't as cheap as InDesign but it is a lot cheaper than the normal price. The educational price for Quark Xpress 5 was $389.95 and I would guess that version 6 is about the same price.

Rustedborg, I can appreciate you being on a budget but unless you are able to pick up InDesign or Quark Xpress at an educational discount you might have a hard time finding something that is good for less than $200. If you are working on a project that is important I would check into finding an older version of Quark Xpress or getting an educational discount on Xpress or InDesign instead of trying to get something done with a lesser program.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Okay, good to know that now there's academic version of XPress available.

Back to the old days when I was in college I asked the software store in school for QuarkXPress the staff told me Quark didn't offer academic version of their software except mTrooplis.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I know what you mean about the school not knowing anything about software. My wife currently attends a Junior College and while they do carry Mac software almost no one there knows anything about Macs. No one unless they are a Graphic Design major or possibly a Video Production person.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I thought someone would provide a link before this.

Academic Superstore list of Mac page layout products

This is only one on-line source and is included to give a list of products and a price range.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Does the academic version of QuarkXPress still need a hardware key? The 4.0 version did, from what I remember in college, which sucked because they started off as ADB keys, which meant people were SOL if they bought a new Mac with USB.

Anyway, an alternate to Quark might be Ragtime solo , which is free for personal, non-commercial use.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    The academic version of Xpress 6.0 requires a license server, if my memory serves.... and a separate computer to run the server on.

Most academics HATE quark for this reason/ the hardware dongle in the past.