Well, there will definitely be no Tablets or PDA now!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Dvorak thinks there might be.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1369270,00.asp

Doesn't that pretty much guarantee it's not going to happen?

Ok, it's early. I wrote table instead of tablet........

Fixed that. -Amorph

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Will this happen before or after Apple meets its doom?

Since Dvorak gets little credit for negative remarks about Apple, why should he think he'll get credit for positive remarks about them?

And, in this case, by 'positive remarks' I mean 'baseless guesses extracted from the posterior.'

Screed
  • Reply 2 of 19
    i dont think apple will do a tablet or pda.

i think what they are working on is something similar to what is rumoured to be coming out for sony.....a video ipod.

this device will be able to play mp3's,mpeg videos,have a built in phone capability and have all the wireless goodies built-in.

this makes way more sense for apple than a pda or tablet.

why do you think apple has gotten into quicktime for cellphones?

huh?

i think a device will be forthcoming at MWSF2004.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Dvorak thinks there might be.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1369270,00.asp

Doesn't that pretty much guarantee it's not going to happen?

I liked the discussion of hard drive failure and recovery. That's worth reading, but the discussion of the Newton is just silly chatter. I think that, and the apple names discussion, is just filling in space at the end of his column. Mentioning Apple gets him more page hits.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    mark my words...

dvorak is saying this so that next spring, when apple doesn't release a PDA, he can say "see, i was right! those fools at apple really are idiots! they lost the perfect opportunity! if only they had listened to me! they will be out of business soon because steve et al. do not have my acute business acumen!"
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Man... I hate Dvorak.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Dude...he was ragging on the Newton. Not acceptable. Newtons rule. End of story.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    PDA? What are those? Oh wait, now I remember, people still use those?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Something is wrong with his head. He says the Newton was too big... no. PDAs are too small. The Newton is perfect.

All Dvorak does is find something (anything) Apple is doing "wrong" and harp on it. If Apple has a strong product line, like now, all he can do is go off on the lack of a PDA or convertible tablet. I guess this could be considered good news for Apple, when that's all Dvorak can come up with.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Something is wrong with his head. He says the Newton was too big... no. PDAs are too small. The Newton is perfect.

All Dvorak does is find something (anything) Apple is doing "wrong" and harp on it. If Apple has a strong product line, like now, all he can do is go off on the lack of a PDA or convertible tablet. I guess this could be considered good news for Apple, when that's all Dvorak can come up with.

Newtons are too big. You cant put on in your pocket, so that means you have to carry it some other way ( a bag ), in which case you can justify a much better tablet size machine.

Palm really took off because it was small enought to put in your pocket.

I owned a Newton as my only computer for a year, theres no way you could carry one around in your pocket ( I get annoyed enough with my cell phone ), let alone hang it off your belt ( well, you could, but your pants would fall down ).

I completely agree that they should have been bigger, in fact, a 10 inch tablet sounds pretty perfect to me, but then they arent a PDA, they are a tablet. As a PDA they were too big. I notice that Toshiba have finally released a pocket PC that matches the Newton screen res - 320x480 - which is good.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The Newton 2x00 screen size was perfect... if it had had a *slim* bezel around it as the entire unit, then it would have been just *slightly* larger than a Palm. Perfection.

With new battery technology, it could be done to casemod the suckers into something that big.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

All Dvorak does is find something (anything) Apple is doing "wrong" and harp on it.

He will discredit just about anything, not just Apple, granted, his fetish with Apple is unmistakable. A few years back I would tune in to his TV show at TechTV just to give him a chance. In the end what a learned is that he knows nothing past his delusional world. His agenda is to create controversy, on anything and about everything, that's how he makes a living. Apple is like a feast for him. The sad part is that there are people that actually pay attention to what he says.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I've been shopping around for a PDA/Cell phone combo. I really like the Handspring Treo 600. But, I couldn't help but wish I could buy a PDA that ran a Micro-OSX operating system. I'm not thrilled with PalmOS (and I definitely would never buy a PDA that runs Windows).

Apple would be the perfect company to release a PDA/Cell combo in the same style and quality as the iPod. I would buy it in a second if they did. But, alas...it is probably not meant to be.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    As far as I can see, cell phones are made specifically for different services such as Cingular, Nextel, Verizon, et al. Manufacturers do not make "generic" phones but models for the aforementioned. Tell me where you can buy a cell phone without signing up to service. Thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

As far as I can see, cell phones are made specifically for different services such as Cingular, Nextel, Verizon, et al. Manufacturers do not make "generic" phones but models for the aforementioned. Tell me where you can buy a cell phone without signing up to service. Thanks.

www.gsmphonesource.com

www.just-talk.com

www.gonycom.com

www.allglobaltk.com

www.puremobile.ca

and many many more.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    The prices are outrageous since you don't have the service provider subsidising the cost. I don't know of any US service provider that allows you to buy a phone from a source other then them. I'd be interested in knowing which ones allow you to do so. All of this is really an excercise in futility. Apple is not going to enter the phone/PDA business. They have said so dozens of times.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

The prices are outrageous since you don't have the service provider subsidising the cost.

The prices aren't outrageous. That's the cost of a phone, and that's the price you'll pay to buy an phone that isn't locked to a carrier and thus subsidized..

Quote:

I don't know of any US service provider that allows you to buy a phone from a source other then them. I'd be interested in knowing which ones allow you to do so.

Any GSM carrier will allow you to buy from a source other than them (excepting, of course another carrier - as you'd just be buying another locked phone). That's the beauty of GSM ... just pop your sim-card into the phone, and off you go.

I buy all of my phones from sources other than the carriers. I then have a phone that I can use anywhere around the world, without having to deal with getting it unlocked. I'm also not tied to a plan that I may not want, in order to get a phone at a discount.

Take a look at the SE T630 ... a little birdy says it was co-designed with Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

All I said was "I wish" there was an Apple branded solution.

The cellphone part of the equation could easily be handled by a partnership with a manufacturer like Sony-Ericcson, et al. The PDA part could be all Apple running a Micro-OSX or OSX Lite. And, of course, the form factor should be all Ive's.

I recognize, however, that it WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Well, this just got a little more interesting. Robert X. Cringely has weighed in on the possibility of an Apple tablet [attr: MacSurfer]. Now, Cringely is exceptional among tech pundits in that when he opens his mouth there is a statistically significant chance that something other than pure hogwash will come out. In this case, he's wisely predicating his prediction of an Apple tablet on the availability of technologies that make such a thing feasible.

The news is a technology up for consideration by an IEEE working group and championed by Motorola for wirelessly transmitting video signals over Ultra Wide Band, with a range of 10m or so. The standard is currently a minority candidate with the 802.15.3 working group (the favored technology sofar is backed by Intel and Microsoft among others), but unlike the other it doesn't violate FCC regulations, and unlike the other there's actually working silicon that can be deployed in products. Motorola is gearing up to deploy soon, meaning that this could become a de facto standard (which, in turn, would favor it in the IEEE's eyes as a formal standard - standards committees are almost always careful about preserving existing practice and legacy compatibility when feasible). Apple jumped ahead of the 802.11g working group in deploying AirPort Extreme; they might want to jump ahead again in order to favor the Motorola technology, given that it works now, it's better in many ways, and wireless has been a technology dear to Apple's heart for years now. (Imagine the digital multimedia experience with no wires: Oh, yeah.)

Quanta is apparently either making these things now, or getting ready to, in which case they'd make a January introduction.

If this is true it'd make for a hell of a MacWorld.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

I completely agree that they should have been bigger, in fact, a 10 inch tablet sounds pretty perfect to me, but then they arent a PDA, they are a tablet. As a PDA they were too big.

They were supposed to be. The original Newton prototypes were all tablet sized. You can read the history on some of the Newton sites (don't have the URLs on me). I can't say I know or understand why they decided to scale it down. Handwriting recognition is only really workable with a wider screen -- writing a word or two per line just isn't natural. Graffiti is what really made the Palm's size viable, because suddenly the screen didn't need to be big enough to actually write on. As someone who still misses how natural the Newton's pen interface was to use, I only wish Apple had chosen one way or the other: a tablet w/ handwriting recognition, or a pocket sized PDA with something like Graffiti. I firmly believe the Newton would have been much more successful than it was in either of these variants.