Panther slower?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was looking at the benchmark comparison tests between Jaguar and Panther in a Japanese Mac magazine yesterday. While older machines appeared to benefit from the upgrade, many of the newer ones gave slower figures...especially in scroll tests (in particular, PDF text files and PDF picture files). The only category where Panther was consistantly faster was in the time it took to open and run 10 programs simultaneously. In one case (I've forgotten the test) Jaguar took 9 seconds to perforn a task, while Panther took 19. The overall conclusion (of the magazine) was that Jaguar was faster...considerably...at this time, with current software.

The test was undertaken with 10-15 different machines.

--Bozza--

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    paispais Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bozza

I was looking at the benchmark comparison tests between Jaguar and Panther in a Japanese Mac magazine yesterday ...

If you believe that, I have an old copy of Jaguar I'd like to sell you.

Please, don't troll the forum with an absurd subject line like that. Of all the copies of Panther that are floating out there, you'd think this would have come up if it were really an issue (like those cursed white spots ... grr).

You should see Preview open and scroll PDFs in Panther, then watch it do the same thing in Jaguar. I guarantee you'll rip that worthless magazine to shreds.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Pais, he's not trolling. He's asking a question.

If he had said "OMG PHANTER IS TEH SUKC!!@!@!@!!!!@!," that would have been trolling. If he had made it look like a legit question and then just went on a rant for the post, that would be trolling.

I don't think you have to worry about the magazine's results, bozza. I've compared Panther to Jaguar on my eMac and it's significantly faster. Benchmarks aren't everything, and performance will vary from system to system.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I can't compare speeds now, but I know that Panther is faster than Jaguar is, for me at least. Wasn't it said that the slower the system was with Jag the faster it would be with Panther? Or am I mistaken here?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I don't know about that, but subjectively Panther is so much faster than Jag it's untrue: my Cube now boots in 20 seconds dead and the Finder doesn't wait anywhere near as long before completing an operation. I rarely find myself waiting for my Mac to do something: it works at least as fast as I do!

The biggest benefit I've personally seen is in the Dock, where I actually keep my hard drive for quick access to everything: even a really dense folder (such as Applications) pops up in its entirety without delay, and I can now drill as far down the directory structure as I like (under Jag it was a maximum of four levels before you had to open the folder to go deeper). This has really given my workflow a boost
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bozza

I was looking at the benchmark comparison tests between Jaguar and Panther in a Japanese Mac magazine yesterday. While older machines appeared to benefit from the upgrade, many of the newer ones gave slower figures...especially in scroll tests (in particular, PDF text files and PDF picture files).

--Bozza--

Older machines showed performance increases across the board with the upgrade. I believe I said that. Newer machines did not...or at least, that is what the magazine reported. MacPeople is the name of the mag., and it is a major Mac mag. in Japan. Looksee

The greatest disparities were in scroll tests; especially ones undertaken in pdf format.

I don't understand the reasons for the results...I'm simply stating what was written. I brought it up as a form of query. Is anyone finding (in daily usage) any functions have slowed down?

As time goes by, these results will be either validated or invalidated.

--Bozza--
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Panther at least feels faster on my G4/800/512 iMac. Not exactly snappy but faster overall. The only app that feels slower is Firebird for whatever reason
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Feels better for me. I have it installed on my Cube, but not my G4 tower yet, I'm gonna do some general tests and try to see if there is a noticeable difference. I'll keep ya'll posted.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    It has been just a little under 10% faster on my G$ Dual 1.25 on most tasks.