10.3.1 Update in Software Update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Must not be a big update, it's only 1.3MB. I thought these things were usually around 20MB?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    No major new odd or bad behavior noticeable just yet... All seems well with the update.

I know I'll not be trying File Vault until good reports flow from all corners of the earth. I have my system set up just perfect for me, and I'm not formatting anything for a while to come. From its small file size, it seems that such a small number of changes made this update. You think that such a small portion of code had such a major effect in so many areas within the OS?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Donny

You think that such a small portion of code had such a major effect in so many areas within the OS?

Hey, good coding man. This is ain't Microsoft
  • Reply 24 of 31
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Donny

You think that such a small portion of code had such a major effect in so many areas within the OS?

Code:

./System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

You see that? That's the base code for *all* storage on your computer. ATA, FireWire, you name it. A small tweak there affects all of it. It would be the simplest place to add a quick fix if the actual bug in the FireWire hierarchy was being recalcitrant and they wanted to get it out to users ASAP. Or heck, it could even be where the bug was.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Question: yesterday I had like 7-8 freezes/kernel panics. Turns out if I took out 3rd party ram it was all fixed. But now I am short ram. Did anyone else have problems like this and know if the update fixed it??
  • Reply 26 of 31
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Thanks for the insight, Kickaha. So if the File Vault problem was a disk (storage) related issue, everything could indeed be sorted out with such a small change. Marvelous engineering...
  • Reply 27 of 31
    salmonstk, I don't have a problem with my Crucial RAM in my PB. Best of luck to you in getting your memory needs back up to where you want them.

As for the minor update to Panther, elsewhere in the discussion it was mentioned that there were several other bug fixes slated for the first update. Now that the first update has occurred how long will we be waiting for those bug fixes to be released? Any guesses?

I'm also curious about what you all see Apple doing with 10.3 during it's point updates. What do you all see happening with Panther? We all know what the initial offering is like. Where is the development team taking it from here?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    For some reason, ever since I installed 10.3.1, gaming sucks on my 1.25 AlBook. Tony Hawk was skatin' smooth before yesterday...now it's choppy as hell. I dont get it
  • Reply 29 of 31
    film maker 2002, I had the same problem with Sim City 4 just getting a city started without it being a rendering nightmare yet. Not sure if it's an OS problem though. I also have a 1.25 PB. 1G ram.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Odd, really odd. Automatically installed 10.3.1 and now Return to Castle Wolfenstein seems to be running really slow at the same setting where it was running nicely prior to the upgrade. I don't know what such a small update could have done to so severely affect game performance. Revert back to 10.3, ???
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by LKeller

Odd, really odd. Automatically installed 10.3.1 and now Return to Castle Wolfenstein seems to be running really slow at the same setting where it was running nicely prior to the upgrade. I don't know what such a small update could have done to so severely affect game performance. Revert back to 10.3, ???

I might do that...revert back to 10.3 because gaming on this machine basically sucks now.