X11 question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If i were to install X11 on my panther, does it slow the computer down any, or run its own app to allow the programs to run? Im only interested in using it cause when i used FreeBSD i like a few apps it had, hehe. That and i kinda wanna see how it runs on a mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    The only aps I have used on X11 are Overnet (eDonkey) and Open Office. Open Office was kinda slow, but still its hard to tell. Btw is there any version of FreeBSD for macs.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    nope, as far as i know at least. You have to have a PC to use FreeBSD. Could be wrong though
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    FreeBSD is the basis for MacOS X, in many ways.

You'll hvae to have X11/FreeBSD apps compiled for PowerPC, but other than that, yeah, all you need is the optional X11 install in 10.3.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

If i were to install X11 on my panther, does it slow the computer down any, or run its own app to allow the programs to run? Im only interested in using it cause when i used FreeBSD i like a few apps it had, hehe. That and i kinda wanna see how it runs on a mac.

It runs it's own windowing program so it won't slow down the rest of OS X when it's not running.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    It may be worth pointing out that netbsd and openbsd run on mac hardware...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Is there any other OS that can run on PowerMac G5 without overheating the CPU. I asked the YellowDogLinux developers, and was informed that very soon 64-bit version of YDL is going to be released, fully optimized for G5 (would take care of the fans etc) Has anyone here tried Gentoo or NetBSD or OpenBSD on G5.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Is there any other OS that can run on PowerMac G5 without overheating the CPU. I asked the YellowDogLinux developers, and was informed that very soon 64-bit version of YDL is going to be released, fully optimized for G5 (would take care of the fans etc) Has anyone here tried Gentoo or NetBSD or OpenBSD on G5.

have you tried the forums at Gentoo?

Could give you some pointers as to the success of G5 linux.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

have you tried the forums at Gentoo?

Could give you some pointers as to the success of G5 linux.

I have heard about Gentoo, after five minutes of rebooting the fans start working at full speed. Once I had the opputunity to hear the noise of the fans when OS X crashed, and it's scary. That's why haven't tried Gentoo. Thanks for the suggestion (link), I am going to check that out now.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    There ar no official realease of any other OS than Mac OS X that run Power Mac G5 yet. I'd expect YDL to be the first besides Apple's offerings.