Couple questions on the powerbook 12"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok, I just bought this 1Ghz powerbook... Here comes the question, please be forgiving because this is my first mac.

1. WTF? I have 40 GB hardrive and with Office, and all the stuff OS panther installs I only have 28 GB left, is that normal?

2. Is there any programs that will analyze my HD and show me where the memory is going? (IE Office is using 600 MB, etc)

3. Is there any way to crank up the volume on my laptop even higher than the volume adjuster has? It's pretty dinky in sound.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

ok, I just bought this 1Ghz powerbook... Here comes the question, please be forgiving because this is my first mac.

1. WTF? I have 40 GB hardrive and with Office, and all the stuff OS panther installs I only have 28 GB left, is that normal?

2. Is there any programs that will analyze my HD and show me where the memory is going? (IE Office is using 600 MB, etc)

3. Is there any way to crank up the volume on my laptop even higher than the volume adjuster has? It's pretty dinky in sound.

Thanks in advance

1. 40 GB is actually more like 37 gigs between formatting and rounding (see this thread for more information). So, if you've got a factory fresh X install, that's typical. BTW, there are often a lot things you don't need - the Installers folder in your applications folder, for example.

2. Yes there are programs to analyze memory usage, but you're not talking about memory. You're talking about HD space. Memory is RAM. Please remember that. HD space and memory are different things. One program that will analyze HD space usage is OmniDiskSweeper. I've never used it though.

3. No. Your internal speakers are as loud as they'll get. You can get powered external speakers.

HTH. Don't fret too much over the HD space issue. 40 gigs is plenty (for now).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    That same issue was bereaving me. I ordered my ibook G4 with a 60 gig harddrive and received a system with around 29 free gigabytes. After transfering a collection of about 1500 mp3's and installing Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Diablo II (oh and some insignifigant pieces of writing and small pictures, but those barely account for any room. Can anyone offer a definitive list of what files that come with Panther are extraneous and worthwhile to delete. So far the only thing I have come across in my exploration of the harddrive are the chinese language files which were 560mb and totally useless to me. Help, if you please.

Lee spelled backwards is Eel
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by LKeller

That same issue was bereaving me. I ordered my ibook G4 with a 60 gig harddrive and received a system with around 29 free gigabytes. After transfering a collection of about 1500 mp3's and installing Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Diablo II (oh and some insignifigant pieces of writing and small pictures, but those barely account for any room. Can anyone offer a definitive list of what files that come with Panther are extraneous and worthwhile to delete. So far the only thing I have come across in my exploration of the harddrive are the chinese language files which were 560mb and totally useless to me. Help, if you please.

Lee spelled backwards is Eel

Whatever you do, don't start deleting things willy-nilly. You'll regret it. There's no reason that your computer should have 30 gigs used up out of the box, though. If I were you, I'd start over from scratch. Reinstall the OS, telling it to NOT install the additional language packs and printer drivers if you don't need them and see how that does you.

I REPEAT: Don't start deleting stuff randomly, even the languages you don't need. You might regret it.

One thing you can do, is ctrl+click on iPhoto and iMovie, select "Get Info", open up the "Languages" section and select the languages you want to get rid of and click remove.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    what is omnidisksweeper and where can I get it?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

what is omnidisksweeper and where can I get it?

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/

Doesn't anyone use google any more?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I think LKeller might mean that he has that space left after transferring 1500 MP3s to it, installing games, etc. That would account for much of it.

I think I had about 52-53 GB of free space on my 60GB PowerBook HD after a fresh install recently. (now at 30GB available after my MP3 transfer, haven't done any documents, etc yet)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    hmm.. I see where all my memory is going.. 600 MB for Epson drivers.... should I delete all of them? or pick and choose the ones I have?

Also, should I install a Virus Scan... but then there is 0 viruses for Mac... I guess my PC background makes me insecure
  • Reply 8 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

hmm.. I see where all my memory is going.. 600 MB for Epson drivers....

Go back and read this thread again, dude.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

hmm.. I see where all my memory is going.. 600 MB for Epson drivers.... should I delete all of them? or pick and choose the ones I have?

Also, should I install a Virus Scan... but then there is 0 viruses for Mac... I guess my PC background makes me insecure

It's not MEMORY! Sheesh.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've never had 80GB of hard drive before, so I've decided to just keep everything on. I never know when I might accidentally start speaking Italian or Korean and need those language packs on there.

But seriously, I'm at about 56GB of free space left AFTER I've done a full Panther install, Office v.X, 9 or so GB of music, my personal files (2GB or so).

However, oddly enough, after two weeks I've yet to install Ilustrator, Photoshop and InDesign OR all my fonts and FontAgent Pro.

Guess I'm wanting a bit of a break from that stuff for a little bit...

I'll get around to it when the mood hits and I feel "doodle-y".

• Reply 11 of 13
    correction- I mistyped, 40 gig not 60
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I've got a 60 gig HD, full install of Panther with all the languages and printer drivers, Office, Adobe suite, various other applications, and quite a few movie files, and I still have 47 gigs free. Guess I got blessed by the Hard Drive Space Fairy.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    so is there only one

RAM slot on my powerbook?