Average American: Scientifically Brain-dead?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
We of course have gone over the debate about evolution and whether it should be taught in school many times, but it seems there is a fundamentally worse problem afoot: Americans are clueless about basic scientific facts. Facts most 3rd graders should know by heart.

Quote:

From the NYT Science Survery article:

Polls by the National Science Foundation perennially identify contradictions. Its latest numbers show that 90 percent of adult Americans say they are very or moderately interested in science discoveries. Even so, only half the survey respondents knew that the Earth takes a year to go around the Sun.

HALF! Assuming it was a fairly large sample, that means half of the people that live around you do not understand that the earth makes a complete revolution of the sun roughly every 365 days. By extension, they also don't understand why there is a change of season, and most likely, why there are 24 hours in a day and not 18 or 56 hours. And what's really gauling is how these people consider themselves interested when many are part of the "don't teach evolution" in our schools contingent.

I don't know about you guys, but this makes me sick to my stomach. I know we're a democracy and all, but we really should take a look at "right to vote" issues.

If you can't name me the three branches of government and the purpose of each (I bet more than 50% of voters cannot)... if you can't describe the difference between "left wing" and "right wing"... if you want evolution to be removed from school curricula (as opposed to being "another view taught")... if you don't know how long it takes for the earth to make one revolution around the sun... etc, etc. THEN YOU SHOULDN'T GET TO VOTE. Rich or poor, black or white or brown, male or female, old or young.

I'm dead serious. We should create a national survey quick-quiz or something similar. Everyone spends a max of 5 minutes at the polling office taking a multiple choice quiz with randomly chosen, fundamental questions (mostly about our political system, but a little world geography and basic science wouldn't hurt... goes to the witness' abilty to put things in context, your honor). Get less than 60% of the questions right and you don't get to vote. Simple. I'll take the chance of some badly administered quizzes any day if it means thousands of mental midgets don't get to make a baseless vote.

I don't want people like this determining the direction of our leadership (and by extension our nation)... do you? I leave you with another quote from the article (one I'm inclined to agree with generally speaking):

Quote:

"For any man to abdicate an interest in science," Jacob Bronowski, the science historian, wrote, "is to walk with open eyes towards slavery."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    So are the europeans. While theythink they have the informed opinion that genetically modified crops are bad many of them think that a natrual tomato does not contain any genes only the unnatrual does. They also think that when eating that unnatrual tomato that that terrible gene can become incorporated into the human...

At least evolution is an nonissue here
  • Reply 2 of 80
    here's the full NYT article for those that have subscribed

Thanks Moogs for pointing me in the direction of this thought-provoking and depressing article. There are a lot of dumb people in this world, not just in the States.All this angels, miracles, intelligent design stuff is just cloud-cuckoo cuddly crap.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Well, obviously we could probably include other "westernized" cultures into this pot and still have a legitimate point.

I merely singled out Americans because that was the only group surveyed... still, it boggles the imagination that you can probably walk up to 10 adults anywhere in this country (and perhaps in any European country), and 4 or 5 of them won't be able to tell you how long it takes for the earth to make a revolution around the Sun (among many other basic facts that do not even require a High School education).

Sad...
  • Reply 4 of 80
    I'm more concerned about the lack of knowledge about the nature of science than whether people know basic scientific facts.

Most people believe that scientific laws are mature theories or "proven" theories, that theories are just guesses, and that theories are produced by the data without any inventive thought. Most believe that there is a rigidly defined scientific method. Most science texts still teach this.

In addition, most people believe that the supernatural can be used in scientific explanations or, in contrast, that scientific explanations are completely true and accurate descriptions of the natural world (naive realism).

The evolution "debate" is only a reflection of the lack of understanding about the nature of science.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    I agree, but we have to crawl before we can walk and then run. To me, understanding the scientific method and the difference between a random idea and a theory and a law is the same as "running" where typical Americans are concerned.

You can't expect someone to understand a collection of abstract concepts like that (and to see how they're applied to various fields and ideas), if they cannot even grasp the concept of the earth on tilted axis, spinning and rotating around the Sun.

Or if they cannot grasp the idea that water is evaporated from the oceans, gathered in clouds and returned to the earth as rain...

Or if they cannot grasp the idea that just maybe, there weren't dinosaurs on Noah's Ark..

I guess it's somewhat of a chicken and egg question. But to me theory is something more abstract which should not be focused on until people can assimilate a basic collection of scientific facts and ideas in their head. From there, we could teach them which is unknown, which is theory and which is law... but otherwise... it would seem a hopeless battle to me.

It's analgous to teaching a little kid about how wolf puppies are born. First you explain a little bit about how the breeding habits of wild animals follow the seasons, then you explain a little about the act of reproduction, then a little about gestation and birth. From there they get an idea of the cycle of life and some basic parts of the anatomy, rather than trying to explain the purpose of Biology, species, sub-species, etc.

Give the simple facts first and then once they get it, give them the abstractions to relate those facts to so they can see the puzzle from afar and see how some of the pieces come together to create theories, etc.

Anyway, I'm still baffled. How does one go about forgetting how the earth rotates around the sun once every 365 days? It's like forgetting how to blink or raise your hand. I can think of no explanation other than compelete mental indifference. People don't care what they know and what they don't know anymore... they just want their little toys and their fun times and that's good enough for them I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    Warning: science causes cancer in laboratory rats.

Frankly, I get tired of these polls that show that group x, y or z has no brain matter. I bet you could dig up statistical dirt on anyone or any group you want. Or if there isn't some poll that belittles some group, you can easily create one with the results you want.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

...the Earth takes a year to go around the Sun

It does?

• Reply 8 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Warning: science causes cancer in laboratory rats.

Frankly, I get tired of these polls that show that group x, y or z has no brain matter. I bet you could dig up statistical dirt on anyone or any group you want. Or if there isn't some poll that belittles some group, you can easily create one with the results you want.

I hear ya, but you have to admit... this is a pretty respectable organization running the poll, and the conclusion being derived is not your typical "Most Americans don't know where the Sudan is" deal...

• Reply 9 of 80
    The NYT piece is an interesting one. It is written with a tense sense of contravention. Even so the piece is a general call to champion the cause of the sciences to which I agree is a goal worthy and needed.

Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever. - Albert Einstein

Fellowship
  • Reply 10 of 80
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Seriously, being intelligent can feel like quite a burden sometimes. It is highly depressing talking to people that don't know their anus from an anthill. I'm always having to watch how I talk to people because if I find a concept to be simplistic and the people I speak to can't even begin to fathom it without some serious study, I inevitably make them feel dumb if I reveal how easy said concept is to me.

I especially have a hard time with people and politics. It boggles my mind when people believe that their interests are seriously considered by the two existing major parties in the US. Shit, when 70% of Americans think Iraq was behind 9/11, that's a problem.

It's so ing frustrating.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I was very depressed the day where i went to the "three days". The three days, where a short period (initially 3 days, but was reduced to one day when i went to it) where all french males where tested before doing their draft (military service).

Nearly all my friends have 20/20 on those tests ( a sort of IQ test, but more general), i was quiet disapointed because i get only a 18.

The sad thing that the average note was below 10, and perhaps more near than 5 or 4.

I discovered this day that i used to live in a protected background. I mean during my school studies, the selection made, year after year, leads to the fact that i only met people of my own level. Thus i thinked that most people have rughly the same level than mine. It was untrue. The draft examination was a statistic gold mine, because each french male have to pass it without any exception. This test where not flawed, and represented precisely the level of the french male population.

The result was not oustanding.

But we don't have to forget one of the most fundamental principle of democratia : even the lame average citizen has the same right than us, the right to vote. And this citizen can have the same opinon than ours, even if it's for stupid reason.

We must not also be not condescending with people less skilled for culture than us, afterall if every people we know where bright like Einstein, the brain dead people, it will be us ...
  • Reply 12 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Seriously, being intelligent can feel like quite a burden sometimes. It is highly depressing talking to people that don't know their anus from an anthill. I'm always having to watch how I talk to people because if I find a concept to be simplistic and the people I speak to can't even begin to fathom it without some serious study, I inevitably make them feel dumb if I reveal how easy said concept is to me.

I especially have a hard time with people and politics. It boggles my mind when people believe that their interests are seriously considered by the two existing major parties in the US. Shit, when 70% of Americans think Iraq was behind 9/11, that's a problem.

It's so ing frustrating.

some things are more important than intelligence, that is Emotional intelligence imo
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

some things are more important than intelligence, that is Emotional intelligence imo

Define what you believe to be emotional intelligence.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Within the last hour, I just had the most extraordinary conversation with a company in the Mid West of the USA.

We have been talking about sub-contracting a very important piece of a job to Warsaw. Halfway through a budget call today the CEO said, " ... and where's Warsaw?" I answered, "It's there ... we've got x thousand pounds in the budget for it."

The inevitable response: "No. Uh, where's Warsaw? Is that like, Germany?"

I mean, sheet, I could even tell you the capital of Minnesota. Even though I've never been to Ontario!
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I was very depressed the day where i went to the "three days". The three days, where a short period (initially 3 days, but was reduced to one day when i went to it) where all french males where tested before doing their draft (military service).

Nearly all my friends have 20/20 on those tests ( a sort of IQ test, but more general), i was quiet disapointed because i get only a 18.

The sad thing that the average note was below 10, and perhaps more near than 5 or 4.

I discovered this day that i used to live in a protected background. I mean during my school studies, the selection made, year after year, leads to the fact that i only met people of my own level. Thus i thinked that most people have rughly the same level than mine. It was untrue. The draft examination was a statistic gold mine, because each french male have to pass it without any exception. This test where not flawed, and represented precisely the level of the french male population.

The result was not oustanding.

But we don't have to forget one of the most fundamental principle of democratia : even the lame average citizen has the same right than us, the right to vote. And this citizen can have the same opinon than ours, even if it's for stupid reason.

We must not also be not condescending with people less skilled for culture than us, afterall if every people we know where bright like Einstein, the brain dead people, it will be us ...

Love your humor Powerdoc Just think with your new G5 how much smarter you will be now!!!!

Fellows
  • Reply 16 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Within the last hour, I just had the most extraordinary conversation with a company in the Mid West of the USA.

We have been talking about sub-contracting a very important piece of a job to Warsaw. Halfway through a budget call today the CEO said, " ... and where's Warsaw?" I answered, "It's there ... we've got x thousand pounds in the budget for it."

I mean, sheet, I could even tell you the capital of Minnesota. Even though I've never been to Ontario!

Wow. *cringes*
  • Reply 17 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Personally i don't know the capital of Minnesota and i don't care unless i go there.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    LOL. Holy sh*t is that pathetic (Warsaw thing). And it wasn't even the Sudan!

BR - I feel your pain. My problem is that I never quite sense in time that I'm coming across as arrogant, when that's not really my intention. I'm just making conversation and all of a sudden people start looking at me like "OH, so now you think yer BETTER THAN ME, is that it?!" Arghhh!

Powerdoc - I agree that it's all relative to some degree, but frankly there are some things which even an "undereducated" person should know. All these things require is say a 7th grade education at most (depending on the topic).

Example: my Grandfather was a very bright man... he exited school at the 5th grade (he had to work to help his family) and from there on out, was a voracious reader because he took an interest in his own mind. He made sure that he "knew a little something", even though he didn't have the money for "fancy book learnin'".

I just do not for one second buy the "oh, it's our educational system" or "oh, not everyone can afford college" BS. If you don't understand something that seems like it's basic / important to understand, go to the damn public library, sit down for 20 minutes, and READ. Or better yet, get on the library internet computer and do a Google search. That way you won't have to learn the Dewey Decimal System.

I don't get people... and I'm sure they don't get me either. Perhaps I should be thankful.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Love your humor Powerdoc Just think with your new G5 how much smarter you will be now!!!!

Fellows

Thanks especially if it's a dual
  • Reply 20 of 80
    Hey I'm about to get "dualed"; I hope it doesn't make me twice as arrogant as before.