The next iPod

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Watch out Apple Sony is about to steel your crown...

The next iPod should have a 16x9 colour screen and support Mpeg4 videos. An export to iPod from iMovie etc would be fantastic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Watching movies on anything less than 15" is a waste of time if you ask me....

Glasses that project the image onto your eyes, now THATS a future!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Checkout the Sony Ericsson P900. This is a triband mobile which is apparently the first model that is co-developed by the JV. All models until now had already been worked upon in parts prior to the JV.

The phone has MP3 playback with Stereo Headset cum handsfree. With PDA functionality. On the ease of use front I cannot comment as I just saw the phone and did not operate will do so later today.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by fresco

Checkout the Sony Ericsson P900. This is a triband mobile which is apparently the first model that is co-developed by the JV. All models until now had already been worked upon in parts prior to the JV.

The phone has MP3 playback with Stereo Headset cum handsfree. With PDA functionality. On the ease of use front I cannot comment as I just saw the phone and did not operate will do so later today.

Please do give us a review, I've heard a lot about the P800. I have a T68i, and I was extremely disappointed in it - it's OK as a phone, except the buttons are too small; but its PDA features are worthless. No email or snail-mail addresses in contacts; to-do list limited to 80 items, no categories, unsorted; notes, unusable.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Maybe for another digital device, but that's exactly the wrong direction to go for the iPod, IMO.

Instead, I vote for two models, one with:

- Bluetooth wireless connectivity

- FM transmitter

- longer battery life

And the other:

- longer battery life

- more affordable

Wireless connectivity esp. would be an extraordinary step for the iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Please do give us a review, I've heard a lot about the P800. I have a T68i, and I was extremely disappointed in it - it's OK as a phone, except the buttons are too small; but its PDA features are worthless. No email or snail-mail addresses in contacts; to-do list limited to 80 items, no categories, unsorted; notes, unusable.

I'm very happy with my T68i, and you can put in email adresses: Phonebook -> Options -> Contact Info -> E-Mail.

But I don't really think it should be thought of as a device for that purpose, it's really just a calendar that you can add things on, perfect for my needs really as I don't think I need a fully featured PDA as much as I need a decent phone (which it is feature wise IMHO).

Back to the iPod, I think lots of people in the past have shot down having video on the iPod, I think it should at least be able to preview the pictures you can now save on it. I don't think it has to be even a much better screen, monochrome would do (although i'm sure there would be huge complaints if Apple did that).
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Did not get my hands on the phone today. Will do so tomorrow and let you know.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The next big thing from Sony.

PSP

Sony wants to bring it to market for about $150. If they can do it, it's going to be a killer. It's got a little more power than a PS1, and strong A/V capabilities. That's just a concept, but sony did show the PSP's media at an event: the UMD is a pretty cool media solution, 1.8GB of data on a 60mm (6cm) optical disc.

Now, if such a disc were made cheap and universal, I see in it a cool way not only to deliver some serious portable gaming content, but also a great CD replacement for mobile devices like PDA's, digital cameras, subnotebooks and music players -- 3 CD's worth of data on a really small low power disc.

PSP could just be the device to give it traction in the market. Then again, sony seems to like their proprietary standards just a bit too much -- pity.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

It's got a little more power than a PS1,

Actually, I have been hearing it will be closer in power to the PS2 than the PSOne.

Its going to be awesome.

PSP Specifications:

PSP CPU Core

MIPS R4000 32-bit core

128-bit bus

333MHz

8MB eDRAM main memory

2.6Gbps bus transfer rate

FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)

3D graphics extended instructions

1.2V

PSP Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32-bit core 128-bit bus

2MB eDRAM submemory

90nm CMOS manufacturing process

1.2V

PSP Graphics Core

2MB VRAM

5.3Gbps bus transfer rate

3D curved surface and 3D polygon engine

Support for compressed textures, hardware clipping, morphing, bone, tessellation, bezier, b-spline (NURBS)

Sound Core

VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)

Reconfigurable DSP engine

166MHz

128-bit bus

5 billion operations per second

CODEC capabilities

3D sound, 7.1 channels

Synthesizer, effecter, and other abilities

ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for audio

1.2V

Media

UMD (Universal Media Disc)

60mm-diameter disc

660nm laser diode

1.8GB capacity (dual-layered disc)

11Mbps transfer rate

AES crypto system

Unique disc ID

Shock proof

Other Specifications

16:9-format widescreen TFT LCD (480x272 pixels, 24-bit full color)

MPEG4 AVC decoder

Wireless LAN (802.11)

IrDA (Infrared Data Association)

USB 2.0

Memory Stick

AV in/out

Lithium ion battery

• Reply 9 of 27
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    the question remains, how much will it cost????

psp will also be a phone as well...
  • Reply 10 of 27
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Instead, I vote for two models, one with:

- Bluetooth wireless connectivity

- FM transmitter

- longer battery life

Do the people who keep suggesting Bluetooth for iPods realize how abysmally slow Bluetooth is compared to FireWire?

1 Mbps (under optimal conditions!) vs. 400 Mpbs. 400 hundred times slower. In addition, Bluetooth's wireless signal probably has a higher proportion of overhead bits than a FireWire connection would, making the comparison even worse.

Bluetooth would be absolutely terrible for initially transfering a few hundred songs. Guessing 50% real payload over that 1 Mbps per second, it would take 80 seconds to transfer a typical 5 MB song. It would take nearly a full day (over 22 hours) to transfer 1000 songs.

Even for updating a single albums's worth of music -- something that's damn near done by time you pull your hand back from plugging your iPod in via FireWire -- would become one of those "go get a cup of coffee" tasks, typically taking around 10 minutes to complete.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    the only reason people want bluetooth is for wireless headphones and things like that...we're not stupid enough to think you can transfer 40gigs via bluetooth!
  • Reply 12 of 27
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    What about this:

http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/Di.../FlashTrax.asp

It's like the iPod, the PSP, and the GameBoy Advance SP had a three-way.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

PSP

Sony wants to bring it to market for about $150. If they can do it, it's going to be a killer. It's got a little more power than a PS1, and strong A/V capabilities. That's just a concept, but sony did show the PSP's media at an event: the UMD is a pretty cool media solution, 1.8GB of data on a 60mm (6cm) optical disc.

Now, if such a disc were made cheap and universal, I see in it a cool way not only to deliver some serious portable gaming content, but also a great CD replacement for mobile devices like PDA's, digital cameras, subnotebooks and music players -- 3 CD's worth of data on a really small low power disc.

PSP could just be the device to give it traction in the market. Then again, sony seems to like their proprietary standards just a bit too much -- pity.

If Sony can actually manage to release it at a low enough price, and if it's good enough technically, I think the Nintendo camp should be worried.

We'll have to wait and see what develops though...
  • Reply 14 of 27
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

PSP

This thing looks pretty sweet. I always think Sony (and many other Japanese firms) have an unfair advantage over Apple.

I suppose the Apple has the software and integration, while they really have the technical know how, and are really damn good at miniturization.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

PSP could just be the device to give [their 6cm optical media] traction in the market. Then again, sony seems to like their proprietary standards just a bit too much -- pity.

Given that Sony is about to release "CDs" that only play on Sony players, I think the odds of the 6cm media taking off are slim to none - but only because Sony will probably cripple it in much the same way.

Pity. It looks like we might have to wait for Philips to release a successor to the CD, since they're the only media company that seems to get it.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Given that Sony is about to release "CDs" that only play on Sony players,

Where did you get this from?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Watching movies on anything less than 15" is a waste of time if you ask me....

Glasses that project the image onto your eyes, now THATS a future!

What a hell of a move that would be if Apple did that with a future iPod. Such glasses already exist, although they're a bit expensive. They could even include some 3D psychedelic visualations for listening to music with the glasses on.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Where did you get this from?

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/11/11.12.shtml

Granted, it's not totally locked down, but it's still not a good trend. And it's pure Sony.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

If Sony can actually manage to release it at a low enough price, and if it's good enough technically, I think the Nintendo camp should be worried.

We'll have to wait and see what develops though...

Nah, Nintendo should be fine. The PSP won't be competing with the GBA. It will be facing off against the GameBoy X which is scheduled to be released along side Nintendo's next console. The GameBoy X will not only offer full 3D and use optical media like the PSP, it will also maintain full backwards compatibility will all previous GameBoy titles. I guess it will keep the cartridge slot.

Now, unless the PSP comes with a hard drive in addition to its mini-DVDs, there's no way it can compete with the iPod. Buy the time the PSP is released, the iPod will probably have 80+GB of disk capacity allowing it to store 50 times the music and video as the PSP. I'm sure Apple will add a color screen for video in the future. They're probably just waiting for OLED technology to mature before releasing the iPod AV. Small color LCDs suck too much.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The only way that a 'video Pod' will take off is if they have the built-in capability to receive the new digital tv broadcasts that will become mandatory between now and 2007.

It's the only compelling reason to buy such a thing.