Convert m4a songs to mp3?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey, i have some songs that are for some reason m4a extension. I dont know why. But is there a program that can convert them to mp3 format?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Why would you want to do this? m4a gives superior sound quality with a smaller filesize.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    my car as mp3 cd player. And it wont play m4a songs.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Use iTunes to burn an MP3 CD.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    i figured it out. Nah, the burn mp3 cd is how i noticed songs were being burned. Then i noticed them as m4a. Then i linked it back to me importing. I went to prefs trying to figure out, and noticed the import. Changed to mp3, and now i can convert. Works like a charm, just taking a while to convert 77 songs now, haha.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

Hey, i have some songs that are for some reason m4a extension. I dont know why. But is there a program that can convert them to mp3 format?

iTunes will do it for you. Just go to iTunes preferences, change your import options to MP3 at whatever bit rate you want. Then, when you select songs in your iTunes Library, the Advanced menu will contain an item to convert the selected music to MP3.

Beware, however. This conversion will result in a loss of sound quality. At stingy bit rates like 128K, the results of going from 128K AAC to 128K MP3 can be grim. You'll lessen the damage by using a higher bit rate for your MP3s than you have for the AAC source.

Another thing to remember: If you prefer AAC to MP3 for other uses, don't forget to change your preferences back to AAC after you do the MP3 conversion.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I always use 192 bit rate. Its the best for quality sound. Well in mp3 format that is. I mean you can go up to 320 or whatever bitrate it is, but 192 is very good. Im not worried about it though.