Can I delete the other languages?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My brothers iBook has limited HD space and he wants to know if you can delete the languages that aren't english in order to free up some space. If so, where are they located and is it safe to delete them? Thanks!

Edit: OS 10.3.1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

My brothers iBook has limited HD space and he wants to know if you can delete the languages that aren't english in order to free up some space. If so, where are they located and is it safe to delete them? Thanks!

Edit: OS 10.3.1

Yes, if you do not want to use them ever. Try a program Delocalizer. It works very well
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

Yes, if you do not want to use them ever. Try a program Delocalizer. It works very well

A what? You and I are speaking two different languages. Please explain further in depth. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

A what? You and I are speaking two different languages. Please explain further in depth. Thanks!

He meant: Try a program called Delocalizer.

Google is your friend.

The problem is, Delocalizer doesn't work on Panther and there don't seem to be any plans to make it.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    the best option is to not install them in the first place. you can turn off their installs by clicking on "options...", i think, in the mac os x installer.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

the best option is to not install them in the first place. you can turn off their installs by clicking on "options...", i think, in the mac os x installer.

The "options" button appears earlier in the installation - it lets you choose between clean install, first install, upgrade install, or archive install. After you've chosen the disk and installation method, then the "options" button will change to a "customize" button which lets you choose which parts to keep. Make sure you keep at least the BSD Subsystem, which is very important even if you think you won't use it. Not all the printer drivers are necessary, and neither are all the extra languages and Asian fonts (unless you need them of course). Getting rid of the unnecessary parts will save lots of space... in fact, it brought my installation size from about 3 GB to about 1.5 GB.

You can remove languages from an application (like iPhoto or iMovie, these two have a lot of languages) by selecting the application and choosing "Get Info," then clicking the "Remove" button for all the languages except the one(s) you need. You can also accomplish the same thing by showing the package contents of the application, going into the "Resources" folder, and removing the folders ending in ".lproj." For me, I only need English, so I removed ones like "French.lproj" and "Spanish.lproj," until there was only "English.lproj" remaining. That's the same as removing the languages from the Get Info dialog, and it's quicker (though not as safe).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, unfortunately Software Update installers do *NOT* observe your settings here, and spew every .lproj file they have in their possession onto your hard drive.

Clean install of 10.3 -> only English.lproj

SU installs of various updates on top -> all sorts of unneeded stuff

You'd think the Installer would look at your language preferences and act accordingly, but nooooooo...

Edit:

Okay, I'm a nimrod. I *assumed* that choosing English only in the installer for 10.3 would set the International System Pref language set to match. Nope. Looks like the Installer afterwards *was* conforming to what was in International... which was a bunch of stuff. It's off now. I'm happier.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

TYou can remove languages from an application (like iPhoto or iMovie, these two have a lot of languages) by selecting the application and choosing "Get Info," then clicking the "Remove" button for all the languages except the one(s) you need. You can also accomplish the same thing by showing the package contents of the application, going into the "Resources" folder, and removing the folders ending in ".lproj." For me, I only need English, so I removed ones like "French.lproj" and "Spanish.lproj," until there was only "English.lproj" remaining. That's the same as removing the languages from the Get Info dialog, and it's quicker (though not as safe).

Okay... bad bad UI problems here...

The checkmarks - are they for enabling the language? Selection for the 'Remove' button? How come I can't select more than one language at once, either through drag or cmd- or shift-click? Silliness.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    But there's a better way...

10.3(.1)'s new Finder 'find' is a godsend.

Click on your harddrive icon in the places bar on the left. Type '.lproj' into the search field. You get a list of every language file on your drive.

Delete the ones you don't want, permissions allowing. (Caution: some languages use two prefixes. English is both 'English' and 'en', for instance.)

Aaaaaaaand... just as a little gem of how drag and drop is your buddy... (Disclaimer: use at your own risk. Not valid in prohibited areas. For external use only.)

For those that you don't have permission for, open a Terminal window, and 'sudo rm -r ' (trailing space important), then drag and drop the offensive .lproj's from the Finder window into the Terminal window. It gives you all the paths at one swell foop. Hit return.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    good god. there's thousands upon thousands of these things!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Monolingual - works with Panther

takes a looooong time (2+hours) depending on number of languages installed

saved my iBook >600Mb of space, though. fair trade.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Quote:

The problem is, Delocalizer doesn't work on Panther and there don't seem to be any plans to make it.

Just curious, since DeLocalizer has worked OK for me under Panther, can you reference this? Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    There's always the find command in UNIX. Think twice type once.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

good god. there's thousands upon thousands of these things!

You aren't kidding! I'm up to 3,320!