Completely useless trivia

Comments

• Reply 101 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebulous

This is definately true, but only for farm-raised turkeys. Wild turkeys are actually quite intelligent birds.

And to add on to the octopus topic, my dad worked with a guy that witnessed that. He had a pair of octupi, each in a separate tank, and the tanks were separated from each other by a few other tanks. What would happen was that he would leave the lab for the night, and when he returned in the morning, the two octupi would be hanging out together in one of the tanks. It turns out that one of them wanted to be social, so it actually jumped out of its tank, and leap-frogged from tank to tank until it got to its buddy.

Weird, huh? I mean, it's remarkable that they get out of their tanks to explore at all, but actually calculating jumps and performing them - that's crazy!

That's Cool!

Fellows
  • Reply 102 of 134
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

That's Cool!

Fellows

and scary
  • Reply 103 of 134
    it only takes a room of 23 people to have a 50% of two of them having the same birthday.
  • Reply 104 of 134
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

it only takes a room of 23 people to have a 50% of two of them having the same birthday.

White chickens lay brown eggs

Brown chickens lay white eggs

Black chickens can lay both colors.
  • Reply 105 of 134
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    A painted turtle can move it's eyes left & right, up & down, and clockwise & counter-clockwise.

• Reply 106 of 134
    It is impossible to touch your toes if your heels, the back of your knees (no bending at the knees!) and bottom are flat against the wall.

I tried for hours on end...

A giraffe has exactly 7 bones in its neck.

Blueflame
  • Reply 107 of 134
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blueflame

It is impossible to touch your toes if your heels, the back of your knees (no bending at the knees!) and bottom are flat against the wall.

I can do it for a split-second before I tumble to the floor. I bet the people on the ISS can do it.
  • Reply 108 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I can do it for a split-second before I tumble to the floor. I bet the people on the ISS can do it.

That is precisely the problem. The center of gravity has little to no effect on the orientation of the person on the ISS, so they could do it easily (assuming they can touch their toes to begin with).

Blueflame
  • Reply 109 of 134
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I got a piece of apparently useless trivia for you, according to roughly 50% of American adults... ready?

The earth travels around the Sun once every 365 days.

• Reply 110 of 134
    365.49 days.
  • Reply 111 of 134
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

365.49 days.

Exactly. Sheesh Moogs, I can't believe you didn't know that. Hope you didn't plan on voting next year.
  • Reply 112 of 134
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    365.49? That's way off. It's 365.2425 days long according to the Gregorian calendar, which is more accurate than the Julian Calendar's 365.25 days. More accurate still is the Mayan calendar, which put the year at 365.242036 days long.

Yeesh. You people disgust me
  • Reply 113 of 134
    I guess I should just kill myself now.

...in a manner that would not inconvenience you of course.
  • Reply 114 of 134
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

well, i didn't say all aquarium fish, i said 'gold fish'.

And I said it was false, and then went on to give some useless trivia about other aquarium fish.

The car mercedes got its name from the carmakers daughter, good thing she wasn't called Gertrude...
  • Reply 115 of 134
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    heehee . . . . he looks funny

Looks like he has wings

I gues its good if you like that kind of thing

but man-o-man what cheessy video and those stupid slogans!!!

I guess if you spend all day picking hunks of molded iron up off the floor then putting them down again . . . all day everyday . . . then I guess you don't have mush to talk about . . . or, critical insight about decent videography . . I mean look at the final Terminator . . . wasn't that the one with Arnold's input?!

And anybody here ever hang out at the gym with the buff-buddies there . . . . what a snooozer!!!!!

I think that seeing as Colman is still only 39 he has time to change his workout regemin to one that is healthy . . . I knew a super-buffed dude who felt that he was unhealthy . .. so what he did is o start running unstead of liting wieghts . . . he lost a lot of weight yet stayed healthy

he still was pretty big but it was in process . . . and it took alot of running . . . as much as was put into weight lifting . . .
  • Reply 116 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

what he said

Ummm,

Wrong thread maybe? Really threw me off when I couldn't find any trivia, useless or otherwise.

Blueflame
  • Reply 117 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

More accurate still is the Mayan calendar, which put the year at 365.242036 days long.

Which, somewhat scarily, runs out in nine years (December 21, 2012 will be the day before the apocalypse, apparently).
  • Reply 118 of 134
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Which, somewhat scarily, runs out in nine years (December 21, 2012 will be the day before the apocalypse, apparently).

maybe they predicted the y2k bug a few years late.
  • Reply 119 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

even more scarily ...

Mayans aren't the only ancient calendar creators to peg the same end date

Aztecs and Celts seem to plan the same Wrap party

most people have the same measurements heel-to-toe as elbow-wrist
  • Reply 120 of 134
    in great britain in 1752, the days between september 2nd and september 14th, never happened.

in other words when you went to sleep on september 2nd, the next morning it was september 14th.