AppleWorks 6.2.9

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    That makes me think of something. Those 14 programmers are certainly not paid to do, what, 3 updates in 2 years! They must be working on something, like a full Cocoa-version of a new Appleworks. Now that would justify the time. But his probably won't happen. They must just be very part time (read occasional) employees.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

If these people in the AppleWorks group have been working so hard, why is there not a whisper to be said about it? Just a comment from Nick dePlume about rather underwhelming point increases.

i think i can hazard a guess at this. basically, if you saw screenshots or significant details about a product that competes directly with your biggest ally and foe, how long do you think it would take to ferret out a leak if there were only fourteen people on earth (not including steve, avie, and a few marketing folks) that knew of its existence.

hell, i wouldn't be surprised if the appleworks NDA specified that they were to communicate only in code or pantomime until told otherwise.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I've been phenominally busy at work, which is why I haven't had time to respond to Amorph's excellent posts. Sure sounds like he could code an Office killer all by himself!

In the mean-time, it's nice to know AI is still read by rumormongers everywhere

• Reply 24 of 48
    Actually, yeah. That's my LiveJournal. Not based on this thread, but on various other things I'd read around the Net.

Of all the posts about Macs for MacSurfer to grab out of my LiveJournal and raise to the level of "headline news" it was... this?!?

Kirk
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

First, there is a separate AppleWorks group. They used to be located in Washington state; I'm not sure if they're still there.

Apple has this position they are hiring for. Perhaps the AppleWorks group still exists in Washington (Vancouver) and is working on something bigger than AW 6.2.9.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Apple Works is my program of choice. Even when I used PC's (that is hard to admit to) I used a version of Apple Works 5 for Windows. It looked much more professional than MS Works and cost a lot less than MS Office. Even today, I prefer Apple Works. It is one of the few "suites" that offers a database for Mac. MS Office and most of the other contenders out there don't. I will concede that it should be kept as a free application; the price Apple asks for it is high compared to the other programs out there.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    It was some time ago (July 2002) that the Gay Blade posted in one of his NMR reports on MacEdition that Apple was moving some programmers into some new offices:

"And speaking of unbridled software imperialism: Back on the home front, intelligence continues to trickle in about Apple?s plans for Mariani One, the venerable swathe of corporate campus it turned over to Sun during the Armistice of ?96.

Grizzled veterans of earlier campaigns report that the reclaimed office space will be used as the staging ground for a new, unified applications offensive: The AppleWorks team is already en route to the new digs, they report; further, Apple is apparently planning to turn the building over to its applications-software brain trust, which will leverage some of the company?s recent multimedia acquisitions to create a whole new generation of iApps safe from the prying eyes of the corporate Lumpenproletariat. "

I don't remember hearing anymore on this. I hope its true and that they have been spending the last year+ working on Apple's MS-Office killer.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    "Lumpenproletariat" is the funniest German word in the English language I've ever heard.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Aquatic, I have to disagree with you in regard to Apple not dedicating resources to AppleWorks for at least a year. I personally believe that anything made by Apple with "Apple" in the title ought to be maintained and updated with the same frequency afforded to other Apple applications. Quicktime certainly has an opponent in Windows Media Player, yet Apple certainly isn't sitting back and doing nothing with Quicktime to make it the very best they can make it, and we all saw what happened when Apple decided it wanted a killer browser. The thing that is the biggest smack in the face is that Apple is known for it's vested interest in education and yet one of the best education assets it has is AppleWorks. This ought to be a war Apple is prepared to fight and one that has been a long time coming. There are other strings regarding Apple using the PDF as a document standard. I certainly hope that is the case. I also would rather corner Apple and ask them to either respect their own applications and update them equally, or drop them entirely. None of this, "oh we'll keep it around and we'll even redesign the box it comes in, but we're not going to lift a finger to make it better." I think the neglect of AppleWorks by Apple is something that has gone on for YEARS too long. Are they incapable?
  • Reply 30 of 48
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

What's so bad about AppleWorks anyway?

Disclaimer: Material expresed above may be biased.

This is the answer I churn up all the time here. My wife used to lay out photos in AW5, put captions on and print them. They looked good. The same thing in AW6 sucked. The image resolution was knocked way down in the final hard copy. Couldn't figure out why. Gave up on it.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

This is the answer I churn up all the time here. My wife used to lay out photos in AW5, put captions on and print them. They looked good. The same thing in AW6 sucked. The image resolution was knocked way down in the final hard copy. Couldn't figure out why. Gave up on it.

That's the only bug in Appleworks which stops me using it more.

Amorya
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Do not have anything to add. I am just adding my name to this thread so I can monitor it.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    You're all lucky, 6.2.4 is the latest us International English types can upgrade to, it was released in April 2002.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

You're all lucky, 6.2.4 is the latest us International English types can upgrade to, it was released in April 2002.

Ehem, you international english guys should consider learning how to browse and find things:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120213

I do indeed find International English (UK) on there
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Whoops, in my defence I tried Apple's own search engine to try and find this but as I always seem to go to Apple.com and not.com/uk it's still my fault. Thanks BNOYHTUAWB.

PS the read me says this, strangely-"This update replaces any North American English version of AppleWorks for Macintosh 6.0 or later with the North American English version of AppleWorks 6.2.7 for Mac OS X 10.1 or later ." But it seems to have worked. Odd.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    I have a quick question: my wife uses an old version of Clarisworks 5.0 to do her invoices and accounting and boots into OS9 to do this. If I buy the latest version of Appleworks, will the spreadsheet and database stuff import with no problems? I'd like to buy Appleworks jut to save the hassle o booting into OS9 as this app is the only reason we do so.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arbernaut

I have a quick question: my wife uses an old version of Clarisworks 5.0 to do her invoices and accounting and boots into OS9 to do this. If I buy the latest version of Appleworks, will the spreadsheet and database stuff import with no problems? I'd like to buy Appleworks jut to save the hassle o booting into OS9 as this app is the only reason we do so.

I've had no trouble converting AW 5 documents into AW 6 documents so far, and that includes spreadsheets and databases.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arbernaut

Moving into AW 6 is fine, iBelieve. But I'm consistently amazed at how many people ignore the Classic Env. I bet AW 5 runs just fine on Classic. After all, I use 6 main Classic apps, one from 1996 (Color It! 3,) one from 1998-ish (After Dark Games,) one from 1997-ish (Street Atlas USA,) one from 1994(!) (Typing Tutor,) not to mention ResEdit and Filetyper from 1997. Also, I occasionally run Sokoban 2.2 (1996) and 2.5 (2001,) as well as Hoyle Board Games and Hoyle Card Gs, from about 2000. Tons of other apps (Netscape 4, IE 4.5, IE 5, Mactracker-OS 9, Sherlock 2, etc.) that I rarely use (with the possible exception of Sherlock) run fine in Classic mode, but generally have good OS X replacements.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Moving into AW 6 is fine, iBelieve. But I'm consistently amazed at how many people ignore the Classic Env. I bet AW 5 runs just fine on Classic. After all, I use 6 main Classic apps, one from 1996 (Color It! 3,) one from 1998-ish (After Dark Games,) one from 1997-ish (Street Atlas USA,) one from 1994(!) (Typing Tutor,) not to mention ResEdit and Filetyper from 1997. Also, I occasionally run Sokoban 2.2 (1996) and 2.5 (2001,) as well as Hoyle Board Games and Hoyle Card Gs, from about 2000. Tons of other apps (Netscape 4, IE 4.5, IE 5, Mactracker-OS 9, Sherlock 2, etc.) that I rarely use (with the possible exception of Sherlock) run fine in Classic mode, but generally have good OS X replacements.

Well, that would be the ideal situation, but for some unknown reason, it doesn't work in Classic, for me at least. Streamline on the other hand, another OS9 app, works like a charm in Classic!

Thanks for your help guys, I'm going to upgrade and hope for the best!
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

They've got to be kidding...

Another dot release for what's got to be Apple's longest-running excuse for a productivity app in existence?

Where are the companions to Keynote and Filemaker?

Are they TRYING to force everyone over to the Office Student and Teachers Bundle?

A productivity suite is one of the most important apps on a modern computer.

How much longer can this insanity continue?

While ThinkSecret is probably one of the most reliable news site, the fact that ThinkSecret reports that the AppleWorks team is working on 6.2.9 does not necessarily mean the newest AppleWorks will be 6.2.9 . It might be AppleWorks 6.3, AppleWorks 6.5, or the much rumored AppleWorks 7.0 . Just adding my 2 cents worth.