The GOP Love Boat

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...headlines-span

I'm a New Yorker... so the idea of having the Republican Convention here... after the city got screwed was pretty appalling... but now they want to have the Convention here without really staying here? We'll provide our own rooms thank you...

What's up with that?

don't cities basically compete to get the conventions so they can get all the travel dollars from all the convention goers?

Who's coming to NYC for the convention protests?! I'm sure they'll be in a holding pen about 10 blocks away... and the SCLM won't cover it anyway... but hey... it'll be fun!

"Washington - Republicans, including Majority Leader Tom DeLay and Rep. Vito Fossella, are considering docking a luxury cruise ship in New York Harbor where members of Congress and lobbyists could stay and play during the GOP convention next summer.

The idea of bunking members of Congress on the Norwegian Dawn cruise ship is under consideration because of the unique qualities the ship would bring, including privacy and security, according to a spokesman for Fossella (R-Staten Island).

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who touted the revenue for New York City's hotels and restaurants as one of the best things about bringing a convention to the city, is not amused."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    considering how much money these people screwed (and are still screwing) NYC out of for homeland defense you would think they would be a little kinder....

then again. right wingnuts are seldom kind.

once again. the joke is on us.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    here's an unrelated thing...

but it's bugging the hell outta me...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Nov7.html

If you read the entire article... the last paragraph is the punchline...

"lookee we're providing $750,000 for job training!" Aint I great?"

http://www.house.gov/budget_democrat...update/500.htm

Hey... if it's a program he's bragging about... it's probably getting a major cut in funds.

Afterwards Bush attends a lunch and raises 1.1 million for his campaign.. putting his "primary" coffers at around 100 million.

Lunch. 1.1 million. 100 million. And it ain't coming from small donors like Dean.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

here's an unrelated thing...

but it's bugging the hell outta me...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Nov7.html

If you read the entire article... the last paragraph is the punchline...

"lookee we're providing $750,000 for job training!" Aint I great?"

http://www.house.gov/budget_democrat...update/500.htm

Hey... if it's a program he's bragging about... it's probably getting a major cut in funds.

Afterwards Bush attends a lunch and raises 1.1 million for his campaign.. putting his "primary" coffers at around 100 million.

Lunch. 1.1 million. 100 million. And it ain't coming from small donors like Dean.

i really think that bush JUNIOR honestly believes that having taken the vast majority of his money from $2000 a plate lunches and big time corps. is NOT going to come back and bite him on the butt.

It will. Even sleepwalking america will take this into account come Nov 4.

reason #948949 why he is going to lose in Nov*

*short of manufacturing another war
  • Reply 4 of 68
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The very sad thing about democrats these days is that they don't know what serious shit they are in. The last round of elections had democrats lose 3 (4?) governorships. This is spun as some kind of "anti-incumbent" mood in the country. They only wish. The best candidate they have running against Bush these days is "unnamed democrat".

The democrats don't know who they are or what they are for. Your best bet it to let Robert Reich take over and remind your party what it stands for.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    There hasn't even been a primary yet and the democrats are in trouble?

The american public doesn't know most of the candidates yet.

And 50% of americans say they don't intend to vote for Bush.

I think the election will be down and dirty... and close.

The incumbent does have the upper hand. But no one is expecting the second term sweep that Clinton got. Yes... we're the same country that put Clinton in again by a wide margin. And would have given him a 3rd term had there not been term limits.

So republicans shouldn't delude themselves with notions of a 70% popular vote.

And democrats should prepare themselves for a tough political fight.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Clinton had Perot helping him out. Bush had Nader helping him out. Maybe no spoilers this year but we'll see.

But still Democrats are already losing and it aint even 2004 yet. The democratic governor of one of the largest states got fscking tossed out! Ouch! Explain that one away with out mentioning your "go to" rhetoric of Enron or Haliburton or some other such nonsense.

As far as I can tell the Democrats only goal is to beat bush. They're too wrapped up in "stolen" elections and "bush lied" rhetoric that I couldn't tell you what they stand for. Other than getting Bush out of office.

Democrats are so patrician these days they seem to put up a silent cheer when a Blackhalk goes down in Iraq. Who am i voting for a bunch of Bathists?
  • Reply 7 of 68
  • Reply 8 of 68
    I don't know the data to support that but anyway it's a bogus stat'. See of you can figure out why? It's simple.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Hey Scott.. New York has Republican Governor... and NYC a Republican Mayor... And the state voted for Gore.

Governors are irrelevant to the Presidential campaign other than which way the state leans.

I've been to a Dean rally. I know where he stands. And he didn't talk about Bush lying and stealing an election.

Alot of people...not just democrats don't think Bush was straight about our reasons for going into Iraq. And a majority disapprove of the job he's doing.

So you can pretend that only "left-wing liberal Bush haters" are the only ones unhappy with him.

But you would be wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    I just don't buy. This is a PR mess just waiting to happen. Dollars to donuts, they let this idea just fade into the background.

chu_bakka, if they do rent a boat, imagine a protest crowd surrounding it. (well the dock portion at least) Great photo-op.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    It's actually not easy to get over to the Piers. It doesn't make much sense... takes more time to get to the Javitz center from the west side than if you're staying in midtown.

Plus... it'll totally bollocks up traffic on the west side highway. Which is the main route out of the city to the GW bridge.

It'll piss off people who might even consider voting for Bush.

hmmm... they should TOTALLY do it. hehe.

The GOP luxury liner...would make for some interesting tv commercials.

And like I said... protesters won't get within 5 blocks of the convention or the Lobby Boat. hmmm... have to come up with a better name than that.

The stage/press manager of the Qatar breifing room for the Iraq war is the same guy they're using for the convention... the press hated him... couldn't get interviews, info, ... nothing. He resorted to hiding in the portapotties to avoid the press.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I don't know the data to support that but anyway it's a bogus stat'. See of you can figure out why? It's simple.

I think I can.

George Bush is God and it is inconceivable that his economic policies might have led to the loss of a single American job.

Is that it?
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I think I can.

George Bush is God and it is inconceivable that his economic policies might have led to the loss of a single American job.

Is that it?

Nope try again. Very simple sampling issue. Maybe you're not smart enough to figure it out?
  • Reply 14 of 68
    Quote:

Hey Scott.. New York has Republican Governor... and NYC a Republican Mayor... And the state voted for Gore.

Governors are irrelevant to the Presidential campaign other than which way the state leans.

Maybe yes maybe no but WHEN PUT TO A VOTE DEMOCRATS ARE LOSING ON AVERAGE. Explain that away.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Bush will lose in 2004, guaranteed. I want Jessse Ventura for president
  • Reply 16 of 68
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    On what average? one recall and two regular elections?

OH NO! It's all over! We're doomed!

Arny won Caleeforneeya... and there's no way Bush will win that state.

New Jersey elected MORE democrats to it's state government. Giving the Democrats firmer control. And the their last Governor was a republican.

There's more republican governors... so what.

Bush BARELY won last time.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    bummer.

I'll give one thing to bushie and his cronies. they REALLLLLLLYYYY know how to block access to protesters. I don't know the state of the lawsuit but some guy in (maryland?) sued and made it to the state supreme court becuase bush JUNIOR's people moved the "protest" area a mile away.

freedom to assemble?

freedom of speach?

Oh yeh. asscoft will spin it as a "terrorist" thing...
  • Reply 18 of 68
    They'll say it's a security issue.

And if the protestors are ignored by the press... it could get ugly.

here's an article in the Oregonian...

A memo by Republicans and why they are concerned about a Dean nomination.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...9671744920.xml

Why Dean Can Win

"Let us not be fooled by misguided conventional wisdom. [Howard] Dean is a threat and Republicans better not ignore him."

The latest press release from the "Dean for President" campaign? Fresh political insight from the lefties at The Nation magazine? Michael Moore or Al Franken's recent rantings?

No, this is the considered judgment of two respected Republican pollsters -- Bob Moore and Hans Kaiser -- from Portland's Moore Information. Their Oct. 6 memo should be a welcome read (www.moore-info.com) when Dean visits here Tuesday.

"Howard Dean can win because he believes in what he is saying, because he can semi-legitimately spin his record as governor into one of fiscal conservatism, and because he comes across as if he actually cares about people . . ." they wrote, continuing a bit later: "The difference between Howard Dean and the rest of the Democratic candidates is that Dean comes across as a true believer to the base but he will not appear threatening to folks in the middle." ...

"The potential for the economy to remain sluggish . . . and conditions in the Middle East are impossible to predict," Moore and Kaiser wrote. "Should these situations remain status quo or worsen, America will be looking for someone new . . . who can shake America out of the doldrums and reinvigorate the body politic. Dean would provide solutions and excitement where the other Democrats . . . are not as convincing because they don't have the perceived conviction of a Howard Dean."

The two pollsters do some Electoral College math and conclude "a Dean candidacy is a lot more realistic than people think." They figure he could claim enough electoral votes to win the White House without Florida.

But won't Republicans paint him as a hopeless "left-winger"? The prospect makes many Republicans giddy and Democrats who fret about Dean's electability jittery. Moore and Kaiser counter with a parallel that will likely fluster Republicans and Democrats:

"Dean's appeal is closer to Ronald Reagan's than any other Democrat running today. . . . The Democratic party used to chuckle about Reagan and his gaffes, which they believed would marginalize him to the far-right dustbin of history. But when his opponents tried to attack him for some of his more outlandish statements, the folks in the middle simply ignored them. Voters . . . looked to the bigger picture, where they saw a man of conviction who cared about them and had solutions for their problems."

Moore says he's never had more reaction to a memo. Tellingly, almost all Republicans -- fellow pollsters and clients -- thought the memo was dead-on. And they were dead serious.

Howard Dean as Ronald Reagan? Republicans who think Howard Dean can win the White House? It all might drive Democrats to distraction.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:

Ironic, especially when you consider who's in the white house.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

And if the protestors are ignored by the press... it could get ugly.

here's an article in the Oregonian...

A memo by Republicans and why they are concerned about a Dean nomination.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...9671744920.xml

Why Dean Can Win

"Let us not be fooled by misguided conventional wisdom. [Howard] Dean is a threat and Republicans better not ignore him."

The latest press release from the "Dean for President" campaign? Fresh political insight from the lefties at The Nation magazine? Michael Moore or Al Franken's recent rantings?

No, this is the considered judgment of two respected Republican pollsters -- Bob Moore and Hans Kaiser -- from Portland's Moore Information. Their Oct. 6 memo should be a welcome read (www.moore-info.com) when Dean visits here Tuesday.

"Howard Dean can win because he believes in what he is saying, because he can semi-legitimately spin his record as governor into one of fiscal conservatism, and because he comes across as if he actually cares about people . . ." they wrote, continuing a bit later: "The difference between Howard Dean and the rest of the Democratic candidates is that Dean comes across as a true believer to the base but he will not appear threatening to folks in the middle." ...

"The potential for the economy to remain sluggish . . . and conditions in the Middle East are impossible to predict," Moore and Kaiser wrote. "Should these situations remain status quo or worsen, America will be looking for someone new . . . who can shake America out of the doldrums and reinvigorate the body politic. Dean would provide solutions and excitement where the other Democrats . . . are not as convincing because they don't have the perceived conviction of a Howard Dean."

The two pollsters do some Electoral College math and conclude "a Dean candidacy is a lot more realistic than people think." They figure he could claim enough electoral votes to win the White House without Florida.

But won't Republicans paint him as a hopeless "left-winger"? The prospect makes many Republicans giddy and Democrats who fret about Dean's electability jittery. Moore and Kaiser counter with a parallel that will likely fluster Republicans and Democrats:

"Dean's appeal is closer to Ronald Reagan's than any other Democrat running today. . . . The Democratic party used to chuckle about Reagan and his gaffes, which they believed would marginalize him to the far-right dustbin of history. But when his opponents tried to attack him for some of his more outlandish statements, the folks in the middle simply ignored them. Voters . . . looked to the bigger picture, where they saw a man of conviction who cared about them and had solutions for their problems."

Moore says he's never had more reaction to a memo. Tellingly, almost all Republicans -- fellow pollsters and clients -- thought the memo was dead-on. And they were dead serious.

Howard Dean as Ronald Reagan? Republicans who think Howard Dean can win the White House? It all might drive Democrats to distraction.

Chewie, you are the quote god!

The problem is that I want the GOP to continue underestimating Dean. I want them to continue believing Dean is Dukakis, or Mondale, or McGovern. I want Carl Rove to continue chuckling. I want their hubris to be their demise.