Archive install, can I delete previous systems?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In the subject. Can I ever get rid of the "Previous Systems" folder on my HD? I don't know exactly what it does now, is it safe to do this? Can I even do this without logging in as root? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Then previous system folder is exactly that, your previous system. Removing it will in no way affect your current installation. Once you've made copies of any Documents, Preferences, or Applications you want to keep from your previous system, it is 100% safe to delete it.

You should be able to remove it without logging in as root. You may need to use sudo in the Terminal, but if this is Panther, I think the Finder will just automatically ask you to enter your administrators password, and do a sudo delete for you.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

but if this is Panther, I think the Finder will just automatically ask you to enter your administrators password

Bingo.

Now there's even less reason to enable the root user.

Repeat after me: root user is baaaad. root user is baaaaad!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Bingo.

Now there's even less reason to enable the root user.

Repeat after me: root user is baaaad. root user is baaaaad!

I don't know, when I run my system with root enabled, I feel just a little bit more powerful. It really helps my self-esteem.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nothing says power like the sound of a man weeping over his keyboard after his computer happened to do exactly what he told it to as root.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

nothing says power like the sound of a man weeping over his keyboard after his computer happened to do exactly what he told it to as root.

I bet if we took a poll of the users who have enabled root and did a t-test to see how level of experience differs among those who know HOW to do it and have ACTUALLY done it, we'd get some interesting findings....

Sorry, I've been doing stats all day and my head's all messed up.

Please disregard that suggestion.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    How do I know if I have all the preferences and whatnot copied over? I didn't manually do it, do I have to do that? Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    There should be a feature in Finder that basically does what Skeleton Key does, allows anything to be run as root. And what IS my root password anyway? Was that from Installation, I can't remember. I always go into NetInfo and make it the same as my Admin one for simplicity's sake, I am not concerned about security and don't mess around too much with things.