Completely useless trivia

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 134
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Ah yes, because of the change to the Gregorian calendar. Another interesting fact, related to that - George Washington was born on February 11th, but that was before the change to the Gregorian calendar. After correction, his birthday is February 22nd, so that's when we celebrate his birthday.
  • Reply 122 of 134
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

hot water will freeze faster than cold water.

No it wont. Even if it did that would be useful not useless
  • Reply 123 of 134
    Quote:

it only takes a room of 23 people to have a 50% of two of them having the same birthday.

On average.
  • Reply 124 of 134
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

No it wont. Even if it did that would be useful not useless

read the link i posted or google it. it can and does.
  • Reply 125 of 134
    Quote:

read the link i posted or google it. it can and does.

I have a degree in physics and a PhD in medical physics. I'll read you link but it's wrong.
  • Reply 126 of 134
    Okay I passed over your link and it seem to fall in the "irreproducible results" category.

It seems to me that two identical specimens, one hotter than the other, the cooler one will freeze faster.
  • Reply 127 of 134
    so all the references at the end are bunk?

does it being posted by:

"Written Nov, 1998 by Monwhea Jeng (Momo), Department of Physics, University of California"

from what i read it sounds like they're reproducable but they just don't understand how it works yet.

odd part is, that link is from the sci.physics FAQ

http://www.weburbia.demon.co.uk/physics/faq.html

here's a link of common science urban legends.

a science snopes of sorts.

http://www.urbanlegends.com/science/
  • Reply 128 of 134
    Yea I read some other links it just that ... doesn't wash with me. Plus once I tried it when I was a kid and guess what? The colder one froze first. Proof positive
  • Reply 129 of 134
    Quote:

so all the references at the end are bunk?

from what i read it sounds like they're reproducable but they just don't understand how it works yet.

The key part (at least as I see it) is the condition "identical samples". I would think it would be difficult to control the amount of dissolved gas in water. Rather than unsuccessfully try to argue this, I'll try from a different angle.

I find it hard to believe that the effect of dissolved gas cannot be predicted. I assume that we can accept that cold water is capable of holding more dissolved gas than warm water (habitats of trout vs. bass, etc.). One calculation made occasionally during training is the difference between the level radioactivity increase resulting from the injection of cold water into an operating nuclear reactor as opposed to the addition of preheated water. The percentage of gas that is likely to be activated is very small. If we can predict the effect of that fraction of the total gas dissolved in cold water, it seems likely that there have been studies of the effects of dissolved gas on the thermal properties of water.

That article is very recent and didn't seem particularly rigorous. I got the impression in wasn't completely serious and I doubt whether much serious research into prior studies was done.

EDIT: Deleted an incorrect statement regarding the posted article.
  • Reply 130 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar in great britain in 1752, the days between september 2nd and september 14th, never happened.

in other words when you went to sleep on september 2nd, the next morning it was september 14th.

And those crazy wankers, when they realized they lost about a "fortnight", rioted and demanded that time back. they were unsuccessful.
  • Reply 131 of 134
    more octopi strangeness:

from today's chicago tribuneQuote:

As the Field Museum's Dr. Janet Voight watched a male octopus get rebuffed in his attempt to mate with a female, she noticed something striking: One of the sea creature's eight arms was longer than usual.

This was noteworthy because the two-spot octopus uses the tip of one tentacle to pass spermatophores, or tubular packets filled with millions of sperm, to females during mating. Later study concluded that the arm was engorged because it contains erectile tissue--the first documentation, scientists say, of an invertebrate erection.

good thing this isn't a human problem, junior high was difficult enough without "leg boners".

here's the link to the whole article

you've got to log in to read, but it's free.
  • Reply 132 of 134
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    got this back from my turkey question.

Quote:

Eric,

I did hear back from our Grow Out Department Manager who said that there has never been a case reported by universities or any scientific journals documenting a turkey drowning from looking up at the rain. He said he has been in this business for 18 years and have enver seen it nor has any of our growers. He classifies this as a myth made up by someone who has a good imagine! : )

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Tammy

Cargill Turkey Products

pretty cool, they actually checked.
  • Reply 133 of 134
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    40% of McDonald's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals.

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

47.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.

1 in every 4 Americans has appeared on television.

Escalator is one of many words that were originally trademarks but have become ordinary words found in dictionaries. Some other words which were originally trademarks and have now passed into common use are aspirin, autoharp, band-aids, breathalyzer, cellophane, Coke (in some areas, at least), corn flakes, cube steak, ditto, dry ice, dumpster, formica, Frisbee, granola, gunk, jeep, kerosene, Kleenex, mace, nylon, ping-pong (also an onomatopoeia), popsicle, Q-tip, rollerblade, rolodex, Scotch tape, sheetrock, spandex, styrofoam, tabloid, thermos, trampoline, yo-yo, xerox, and zipper.

The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries.

In Gulliver's Travels Jonathan Swift described the two moons of Mars, Phobos and Deimos, giving their exact size and speeds of rotation. He did this more than one hundred years before either moon was discovered.

Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to SLOW a film down so you could see his moves. That's the opposite of the norm.

There are four cars and eleven lightposts on the back of a $10 dollar bill.

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first class.

During the chariot scene in 'Ben Hur' a small red car can be seen in the distance.

all from http://dogman0.tripod.com/useless.html
  • Reply 134 of 134
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

47.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

woody allen said that in one of his movies, but used 94.5%. (hows that for useless trivia)

Quote:

During the chariot scene in 'Ben Hur' a small red car can be seen in the distance.

i think in ben hur, or some 50s or so era movie with a chariot scene, a dood falls off his chariot and is actually killed on screen (and it makes it to the final cut). they of course, don't show his mangled body, but the falling, and trampling.

and, in many scenes of movies with lots of extras (ie: battle scenes), local college students are suited up and fill into the huge space. i can't remember which one (though it probably happened pretty often), but i think it was braveheart, several of the collegiates were visibly wearing wrist-watches.