Muslim questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I truly mean no offense by these, but have collected some stray questions about muslim culture in no particular order. Knowledgable non-muslim responses welcome as well.

1. Do muslims refer to inanimate objects with a feminine pronoun? You know, like calling a ship a "she".

2. For those that believe in the 72 virgins thing, what do female martyrs get? Do they get 72 men, or just to be one of the virgins serving a male martyr?

3. Are there muslim satanists who worship an anti-muhammed or something in the same way that there are christian satanists who worship an anti-christ?

4. If facial hair is somehow a plus for being a muslim, how do native Americans figure in?

5. Has any muslim group gone on record condemning the death sentence against Rushdie? I ask only because I used to have muslim friend in college who was a really nice guy, but even he thought Rushdie should die.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I truly mean no offense by these, but have collected some stray questions about muslim culture in no particular order. Knowledgable non-muslim responses welcome as well.

1. Do muslims refer to inanimate objects with a feminine pronoun? You know, like calling a ship a "she".

2. For those that believe in the 72 virgins thing, what do female martyrs get? Do they get 72 men, or just to be one of the virgins serving a male martyr?

3. Are there muslim satanists who worship an anti-muhammed or something in the same way that there are christian satanists who worship an anti-christ?

4. If facial hair is somehow a plus for being a muslim, how do native Americans figure in?

5. Has any muslim group gone on record condemning the death sentence against Rushdie? I ask only because I used to have muslim friend in college who was a really nice guy, but even he thought Rushdie should die.

Some questions seems to show the facetious side of your character. I love the native american one
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Wow... this could go in some really weird directions...

There's very similar questions that could be asked about christians / catholics...

I think a conversation about the core teachings of the Muslim faith would be more enlightening...

All religious texts have archain language/ideas/stories...

And if you listen to Joeseph Campbell, they have alot more in common that differences.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Some questions seems to show the facetious side of your character. I love the native american one

native americans? I know so many of them.

Ohh Nord means only "certain" "native" "americans"

Fellows
  • Reply 4 of 14
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    3) Apples and Oranges ... there is no Christ figure in Islam (redeemer, son of Allah, the saviour). Jesus is an important figure in Islam ... they just don't buy the rising from the dead mumbo-jumbo. Ditto Mohammed. An extraordinary guy, but a guy.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

I know that nouns do have gender in Arabic. Not sure what your point is though. In many if not most languages, nouns have gender.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

My very limited knowledge is derived from getting to know some actual practitioners so here goes.

Quote:

That is not an Islamic issue, but one which varies according to the language used. there are more than a billion Muslims speaking languages varying from the Turkics to the Austronesians to the Indo-Europeans to the Bantus.

A minority of Muslims speak the Arabic vernaculars deriving from the Classical Arabic, the liturgical language of Islam; which does have feminin pronouns for inanimate objects.

Quote:

I admit ignorace in that matter so one may give female martyrs the benefit of the doubt and assume that their self-sacrifice is inspireed onlyby purer motivations like selfless dedication to the cause and stuff like that.

But I'd put my money on their being even bigger suckers than the male martyrs.

Quote:

No such thing as an ?anti-Muhammad?.

A Muslim is one who fully submits to divine authority, so in order to worship stan he's have to cease being Muslim.

Obviouly, heterodox or dissident currents would be condemned as ?satin worshippers? by the guardians of virtue, but for actual satanist groups to practice more or less regularly and thus to be acquainted with, requires a more liberal society than that enjoyed in most mainly Muslim populations, so I don't know of any such group.

Quote:

According to a h'adith (a Saying of the Prophet) but don't ask me which one, Muhammad tells the Muslims to let their beard grow.

The question is therefore moot for those who won't grow a beard because it just won't.

Quote:

Islamic scholar and revered wali Abdurrahman Wahid, who briefly served as the first democratically elected president of the republic of Indoneisa (of more than 90% Muslim population and the country with largest Muslim population in the world) has.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

It would be difficult to be a Christian or Muslim and be a satanist at the same time. But, if you mean, are there people within Islamic societies that practice satanic worship, as there are people that do so in christian societies, then yes there are. The Yezidis, mainly in Kurdish Iraq I think, are 'devil-worshipper', praying to the peacock-angel, or fallen angel. The religion is one of the oldest in the region, predating Islam, Christianity and maybe Judaism, it being a later offshoot of Zoroastrianism, a very ancient religion in Mesopotamian region.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

It would be difficult to be a Christian or Muslim and be a satanist at the same time. But, if you mean, are there people within Islamic societies that practice satanic worship, as there are people that do so in christian societies, then yes there are. The Yezidis, mainly in Kurdish Iraq I think, are 'devil-worshipper', praying to the peacock-angel, or fallen angel. The religion is one of the oldest in the region, predating Islam, Christianity and maybe Judaism, it being a later offshoot of Zoroastrianism, a very ancient religion in Mesopotamian region.

Yes, that is what I was asking. You hear about Satanists of the Biblical ilk all the time, but you don't here about "other" satanists. From the more whacky muslims you generally just hear that we Americans are the satanists. Of course, I would guess that like Xians, muslims assume any other religion is actually satanism in disguise.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

According to a h'adith (a Saying of the Prophet) but don't ask me which one, Muhammad tells the Muslims to let their beard grow.

The question is therefore moot for those who won't grow a beard because it just won't.

Hmm, I've met a few woman who have facial hair, I wonder if they are supposed to let it grow for Islam.

Quote:

Islamic scholar and revered wali Abdurrahman Wahid, who briefly served as the first democratically elected president of the republic of Indoneisa (of more than 90% Muslim population and the country with largest Muslim population in the world) has. [/B]

Glad to hear it.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    the question about the 40 some women for martyrs is a complete lie. there is no where in the islamic book where it states a male martyr will be rewarded by 40 some women. instead it states that heaven is a place of purity. have no clue how or where that started from.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by seth

the question about the 40 some women for martyrs is a complete lie. there is no where in the islamic book where it states a male martyr will be rewarded by 40 some women. instead it states that heaven is a place of purity. have no clue how or where that started from.

That doen't mean that these martyrs haven't been convinced that something like this awaits them. The question is valid...what differences are there in what is offered to male and female martyrs.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

I read about this some time ago. I was struck by the core principle on which the satanists (note: small s) profess their faith: Lucifer/Satan made his choices based on free will.

Time to dig out Milton...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    There is no god but God. And Mohhammad is his last prophet. That's my basic understanding of Islam.