F*** Os X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
<OK I'll admit it's a rant>

Nothing pisses me off more then when an app bounces and quits out with no warnings or anything. It just won't open. That is BS.

</you know>

Trying to turn this thread into something not just a waste of your time...

Why? Is there any way to fix this?! This has happened at least once on ever OS X computer I've ever used for a prolonged period of time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

<OK I'll admit it's a rant>

Nothing pisses me off more then when an app bounces and quits out with no warnings or anything. It just won't open. That is BS.

</you know>

Trying to turn this thread into something not just a waste of your time...

Why? Is there any way to fix this?! This has happened at least once on ever OS X computer I've ever used for a prolonged period of time.

What app is this? Check the console.log.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Oh my, a little irritated today ast3r3x? "happened at least once" is no grounds to get all bent over. What app?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Oh my, a little irritated today ast3r3x? "happened at least once" is no grounds to get all bent over. What app?

It has happened with Toast 6, Starry Night, DVD2One, Ten Thumbs Typing Tutor, and most recently which got me pissed Illustrator CS. All of them (except Ten Thumbs Typing Tutor...which just gave me a problem tonight along with Illustrator fix themselves magically with time without any reason or rhyme, although I think reinstalling panther helped Toast.)

And soundtrack does this on my brothers G4...not sure if it does still or not.

How do I check console log?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

It has happened with Toast 6, Starry Night, DVD2One, Ten Thumbs Typing Tutor, and most recently which got me pissed Illustrator CS. All of them (except Ten Thumbs Typing Tutor...which just gave me a problem tonight along with Illustrator fix themselves magically with time without any reason or rhyme, although I think reinstalling panther helped Toast.)

And soundtrack does this on my brothers G4...not sure if it does still or not.

How do I check console log?

Utilities>console.app.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Just curious, have you repair permissions using Disk Utility lately? Whenever I have a problem that usually does the trick.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That happened to me after force-prebinding my applications with Cocktail. I had to restart.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    This has happened to me with just about every app, from Safari to Mail to iChat to Camino to GraphicConverter.

Generally, though, its after I've been messing around with the software.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

This has happened to me with just about every app, from Safari to Mail to iChat to Camino to GraphicConverter.

Generally, though, its after I've been messing around with the software.

I've NEVER had it happen to me. And I tinker quite a bit...
  • Reply 9 of 48
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm with ast3r3x on this. The OS should toss up a warning "Blah blah blah app has quit without warning. No other app's have been affected."
  • Reply 10 of 48
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    True. I've only seen this happen once, with Mupen .1. That pos did the same thing on XP though.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    I've never seen this happen to XP...but I rarely use XP. The thing that gets me mad is I have no idea why. In OS 9 I at least got a error 02 or error 03 something like that letting me know it was a bus error, sure I couldn't do anything about it but I could be pissed at something.

I rarely tinker with OS X or my apps.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    I know this happens when I've installed a system update and haven't restarted. No other programs will load until the restart, but I expect that's not your issue.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Repair the disk and permissions, but boot from the panther install CD.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    do you have an old version of default folder x installed? that causes crashes unless you upgrade to the newest version.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Did you expand the apps using Stuffit 8?

Version 8.0 has a bug that prevents setting the "execution" bit for apps. Upgrading your copy to 8.0.1 will fix the problem.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    This happens to me when:

disk utility is finished repairing permissions.

acquisition has been on for awhile (I'm not registered.)
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carbonide

Did you expand the apps using Stuffit 8?

Version 8.0 has a bug that prevents setting the "execution" bit for apps. Upgrading your copy to 8.0.1 will fix the problem.

I used expander 8.0 to unstuff Ten Thumbs but that doesn't explain stuff like Illustrator CS which I got off of the CD. Oh well Illustrator is working (seemingly no reason) and I just updated stuffit so we will continue to see and possibly complain.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The console log is the best bet to finding out what went wrong.

As others have pointed out, /Applications/Utilities/Console.app is the easiest way to see this file. Next time this happens, take a peek at that soon after, and it should tell you *precisely* what went wrong.

You may not understand it, but it'll be precise. In which case, post the relevant text here and we can help you decode it.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

The console log is the best bet to finding out what went wrong.

maybe i missed something, but what is the comand line to fetch the log information from console.app?

if this question seems buggy, than skip it;-)

best
  • Reply 20 of 48
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    ???

Run Console.app.

It shows you the console file in a nice GUI window.

Select, copy, paste to post it here.

Why would you need the command line for anything? Console.app means you don't have to. That's what it's for.

If you want to access it directly, the file is in /var/log/console.log Generally you read a file on the command line with 'more' or 'cat'. If that makes no sense, you might be best off just using Console.app.