College Majors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    I'm finishing up my MBA in June and then going back in the fall to work on Astrophysics, my original love.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    B.S. Physics, Univ of Washington

B.S. Mathematics, Univ of Washington (two degrees, not double major - more fun that way )

M.S. CompSci, Univ of North Carolina

Ph.D. CompSci, Univ of North Carolina... RSN, I swear.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Sociology with a special interest in law at the organisational plan and in social movements. Also a bit of International relations (still have a goal of producing the "true" sociological/constructivist IR theory) and in the sociology of the city.

Looks like my education will come out as a mess
  • Reply 24 of 31
    I'm Electrical and Computer Engineering. I knew this because I love computers.

How do you decide? Take a lit of all the majors given at your school. Cross out everyone you know you wouldn't do right off the bat. Then go through the list and try to imagine working in each major for a living. If you don't know what someone in a certain major does, you can email the advisor of that major. They can (should) usually tell you. The important thing is that it has to be something you can do for a few years at least. That way, if you don't want to do it after college, you can at least work and save money while you figure out what to do. More important than that, be sure you choose a major and you know what people in that major do. Don't choose one just because it sounds interesting (*cough* physics *cough*). You can always pick it up as a hobby later.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Though recently, I've rekindled my old interest in writing; probably just a hobby, but it'll be funny if it becomes more. One of my coworkers says he wasn't very interested in programming in h.s./college, but took it up as a job until his music career took off. So, like 10-20yrs later, he got a wife, and a couple of kids and stuck with his temp career. Life can throw you curve balls sometimes, and you have to learn how to make lemonade.

Is that one? No two, yes, three cliches -- excellent for a paragraph where you rekindle my interest in reading! Come to think of it, without being too snarky actually, there's a lot out there for you as a writer. I love the popular press -- where I can gleefully embrace my intellectual demise.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    I don't think you need to know now, being only a freshman. Where I come from, you really only have to know by the end of the freshman year (officially, by the end of sophomore year.)

I'm an electrical engineer, and NOT a computer engineer.

Analog power.

• Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Is that one? No two, yes, three cliches -- excellent for a paragraph where you rekindle my interest in reading! Come to think of it, without being too snarky actually, there's a lot out there for you as a writer. I love the popular press -- where I can gleefully embrace my intellectual demise.

if i do nothing more, i will consider this life a success.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    IT

But I have this urge in the back of my mind to be an Engineer
  • Reply 29 of 31
    biochemistry (ok chemistry with a sprinkle of bio)

physics is easy (in the sense that you can intuit a great deal of the mathmatical results, then again what is intuition? i can intuit chemical reactions and reaction mechanisms as well, but was i born with it? is intuition necessarily in born? can it arise from experience, can it be learned? why do i keep asking these somewhat inane questions)

regardless, right now i am doing biophysics (yay physics, yay chemistry, yay biology)...

i miss math dearly.

oh. and doing physics with studio art probably will open your mind a bit more than an art and art history combination...

but then again i am biased but who isnt.

round and round we go, where we stop nobody knows...
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Currently majoring in Biological Sciences. I'll probably get a minor in Chemistry, it's just two more classes since us bio people have to take massive amounts of chemistry for our major.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mountainyeti42

Currently majoring in Biological Sciences. I'll probably get a minor in Chemistry, it's just two more classes since us bio people have to take massive amounts of chemistry for our major.

This doesn't really make sense to me. It seems to cheapen the idea of a minor (and major). At my school...well, at my school there was no such thing as a minor, but even if you wanted to double-major, it had to be with two majors with very little coursework overlap. Something like 3 or 4 semester-courses of the 15 or so required for a major. In this example, if you were a Biol Sci major who wanted to take a little more chemistry, you'd usually just take a little more chemistry. Or maybe, if you wanted official recognition, there'd be a Biochemistry track of the Biol Sci major that you could join. Many majors had several tracks and multiple degrees available (from B.A. to B.S./M.S.) for people who sought different levels of specialization and rigor.

Where this trend is going, with people racking up three or four majors and a sprinkling of minors in a 4-5 year college career, just seems absurd to me.