Low end Dual

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Wouldn't it be nice if Apple had a low end Dual. A Dual 1.8GHz w/900Mhz FSB per Proc, and a dual 1.4Ghz for 1499. Push the price down to $1899, I think apple would get alot more business. They could release this after the 970 revisions (hopefully upto 2.5Ghz. The line up then could be like this

Dual 2.5Ghz

Single 2.0Ghz

Dual 1.8Ghz

Single 1.8Ghz

Dual 1.4Ghz

I would for sure by a dual 1.4, the dual 2.0 is just to pricey.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Too many needless configurations. Apple will stay with 3 configs.

Once Apple upgrades the iMacs to G5s there is no reason why all the PowerMac G5s wouldn't be duals. Well maybe except for the lowend. Apple likes to keep the low-end a single for those that need the expandability of a tower, but not the power.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I agree with Leonard, some people don't need all the power of the duals, but can use the expandability. Though it would be great if there was another dual configuration. It's probably just an idea, but I can't convince myself to buy a single config. If I buy myself a new Mac it would have to last at least 2 years. And I feel the gap between the dual 2 GHz and the single 1.8 GHz is too big.

I can't afford to buy a dual so I'll wait til MWSF & hope to have a pleasant surprise.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple had a low end Dual. A Dual 1.8GHz w/900Mhz FSB per Proc, and a dual 1.4Ghz for 1499. Push the price down to $1899, I think apple would get alot more business. They could release this after the 970 revisions (hopefully upto 2.5Ghz. The line up then could be like this

Dual 2.5Ghz

Single 2.0Ghz

Dual 1.8Ghz

Single 1.8Ghz

Dual 1.4Ghz

I would for sure by a dual 1.4, the dual 2.0 is just to pricey.

I wish Apple's current G5 lineup was like this:

Single 1.2Ghz

Dual 1.2GHz

Single 1.6GHz

Dusl 1.6GHz

Single 2.0GHz

Dusl 2.0GHz

I don't know why they can't offer dual's in all the models. I want a dual but I don't want to spend 3grand.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I suspect that Apple will at least offer a mid-range dual system when the G5s get revised (presumably in early 2004), but they'd mainly want to do so to prevent a glut like what we saw with the initial launch (where everyone and their mother wants the top-end system).

I suspect that they'll still keep a low-end single around (like a single 2.0), but the other two systems would be duals (2.2 and 2.5 GHz, perhaps). This would probably allow Mac users conditioned to think "multiprocessor good!" to get what they want while saving some money.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    If your waiting for a dual G5 on the lower end, wait for January. It will happen than. Apple will put out the .09 micron G5 next summer and we'll see the whole line revamped. It'll happen soon enough. At the height of the G4 towers I believe they had something like 5 or 6 configs, 5 sounds right. We'll probably see 4, but I doubt we'll see 5.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

At the height of the G4 towers I believe they had something like 5 or 6 configs, 5 sounds right. We'll probably see 4, but I doubt we'll see 5.

I was almost going to say Apple never had 5 or 6 configs of the G4 Tower, BUT... when Apple introduced the MacOS X only booting G4 Towers, they did have 1 or 2 other G4 Towers that still supported MacOS 9. So in total I guess you could say Apple had 4-5 G4 Tower Configs.

It may be possible we'll see 4 G5 configs at some point, but like you, I doubt we'll see 5.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    my guess is that apple will have duals across the board come jan/feb.

dual 1.8

dual 2.0

dual 2.5

that would be one sweet lineup too!

i've been saving for this one! 8)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I would definitely go for a dual 1.8 GHz. I have no cash & no use for top of the line performance. It would be great for me if iPhoto & iMovie were at decent speed and I would also like the expandability. My desk is getting crowded with all this external stuff...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

my guess is that apple will have duals across the board come jan/feb.

dual 1.8

dual 2.0

dual 2.5

that would be one sweet lineup too!

i've been saving for this one! 8)

More likely would be a single 1.8 and all the rest duals. Dual costs more $ than singles, so your low end machine should be dual.