Pioneer announces fastest DVD-R yet

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sweet. Will Apple cripple the +R? Probably. Will people be pissed? Probably.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    8x, that's pretty good - so it should take less than 10 minutes to burn a full DVD, right? But I wonder what DVDs will cost. And I'd still like to see dual-layer DVD burners.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Can someone explain the difference between CD/DVD+R/W and CD/DVD-R/W? Why is there two formats? Which is "better"??
  • Reply 4 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

Can someone explain the difference between CD/DVD+R/W and CD/DVD-R/W? Why is there two formats? Which is "better"??

There's very little to differentiate between DVD-R and DVD+R, other than DVD-R is slightly more compatible with older DVD equipment. DVD-R is also an officially recognized DVD format by the DVD Forum while DVD+R is endorsed by a group called the DVD+RW Alliance.

DVD-RW is functionally equivalent to a CD-RW. DVD+RW supposedly supports limited on-the-fly read and writability akin to DVD-RAM, but nowhere near as robust.

The only format I really use with any regularity is DVD-R. They are the most compatible and cheapest...I've never had any real need for the RW formats, CD or DVD.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Dual-layer DVD burners are coming. I remember an article about how some company, Panasonic maybe, was already shipping them.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so when's it for sale?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Sweet. Will Apple cripple the +R? Probably. Will people be pissed? Probably.

can the superdrive on powerbooks rewrite DVDs using Toast?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Dual-layer DVD burners are coming. I remember an article about how some company, Panasonic maybe, was already shipping them.

I remember seeing that article as well. I want to say that the article mentioned they would start appearing in early 2004 (not sure if it was here or in Japan).

That will be interesting to see how well they take off, and at what price-point. I am sure the MPAA wont be too happy. People will be able to do dvd-rips with no recompression required for reburning. I really wouldn't be surprised if these dual-layer drives dont reach consumer level prices (for both drives and media) until after blue-laser DVD drives hit the market, and the studios start releasing films on that format.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Yup you're right.

Mac's girl yes you can. Go here to update your drive: http://superdrive.cynikal.net/
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Yup you're right.

Mac's girl yes you can. Go here to update your drive: http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

thanx.

cool... it says the new Alu-PB15 doesnt need this firmware.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so when's it for sale?

Quote:

The DVR-A07 is expected to be available in December pending the DVD Forum's approval of 8x write speed for DVD-R and 4x write speed for DVD-RW.

http://www.eetimes.com/pressreleases/prnewswire/111626

And I was just about to buy a 4x burner. I guess I'll have to wait another month and 1/2
  • Reply 12 of 20
    yeah, i'll be willing to wait that long for an 8x burner.

i've got backup data sets that push over 100GB, the difference in the time i spending burning those backups will be amazing.

excellent.

thanks giant.

(bet you thought you'd never hear me say that)
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Plextor's 8x has been available in stores for months now. I posted a thread about it a while back. Plus I think it has better CD burn speeds.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    the plextor is DVD+R at 8x. it's DVD-R is 4x.

i think i'll hold out for the DVD-R
  • Reply 15 of 20
    the dvds you would buy in a store, say for lord of the rings or something, are dvd-r.... enough said. screw +r
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

the plextor is DVD+R at 8x. it's DVD-R is 4x.

i think i'll hold out for the DVD-R

the plextor that came out last month can do 8x in both DVD-R/DVD+R
  • Reply 17 of 20
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member

you mean this one? pulled from Plextor's own site?

both of them had the same speed ratings.

they only do 4x DVD-R.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Liteon Owns you All.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

you mean this one? pulled from Plextor's own site?

both of them had the same speed ratings.

they only do 4x DVD-R.

nope i mean this one

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...352851&loc=101

• Reply 20 of 20
    that one's labeled wrong.

if you look a little further down in the description:

Quote:

8-in-1 combo drive: 8x DVD+R, 4X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW, 12X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW and 40X CD-ROM

http://www.plextor.com/english/produ...rw_drives.html

it's one of the two listed on that page.