Force Quit Annoyance

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Force Quit always takes multiple attempts for me and has since 10.0

i'll force quit, then have to close the force quit window and reopen it so that it recognizes the app is still running and have to force quit it again

with panther it now sometimes doesnt work on the 2nd try either

why is this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    You must be doing it wrong. Force Quit has always worked for me the first time. Do you press cmd-option-esc and then Force Quit? By the way you can Force Quit an app even if the name isn't red. Remember, you can Force Quit at any time.

Lets say Safari locked up on me, but the Force Quit dialog didn't notice anything wrong with Safari but, I noticed something wrong so screw what that dialog says and Force Quit.

Also another thing that's been in OS X since Jaguar is a neat little feature. When control-clicking the icon (that is locked up) in the Dock and hold option... This should change the Quit selection to Force Quit. That's another method but, I'm not done yet.

New to Panther, you can now Force Quit on the fly. Say Safari Locked up again and you need to Force Quit it again. Press cmd-option-shift-esc while Safari is the active. This will Force Quit it instantly (no dialog and no fiddling with the Dock)

I hope this helped... please tell me if you got it working again.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Try switching to any other non-crashed program first, then doing Force Quit from there. I assume that while inside the crashed program itself it is hogging too much CPU and gets screwed up somehow. It shouldn't do that though. I've only seen it a few times.

Panther also lets you quit the force quit the app you are in without any list to choose from, if you so wish to do that.

In Panther: Command-Option-Shift-Esc will instantly force quit the frontmost application, with no further user input.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah, it works great if the app isn't hanging.

But if the app is having trouble, it almost always takes several tries for me, and not infrequently it doesn't work at all.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yeah, it works great if the app isn't hanging.

But if the app is having trouble, it almost always takes several tries for me, and not infrequently it doesn't work at all.

Try force quitting with the terminal. Works ALL the time and instantly zuperfast. It's quite easy -even for me- and I'm certainly no geek. 8)
  • Reply 5 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I've had that happen, applenut, oddly enough more in 10.3 than 10.2.

Will have to remember the shift variant that bypasses the dialog.

Often, ctrl-opt clicking on the app's Dock icon to access Force Quit works when the dialog doesn't. *shrug*
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Hell, I've had the finder refuse to quit even after I've done a "sudo kill -9" on its sorry ass. I can't understand that one to save my life.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Try force quitting with the terminal. Works ALL the time and instantly zuperfast. It's quite easy -even for me- and I'm certainly no geek. 8)

IF you can get to the Terminal. I've had a bunch of situations where the Dock is hung, and the Finder is hung... even Moki's escapePod wouldn't work.

We need a hardware interrupt switch that would trigger a kernel debugger console. Hmm - seems all the Macs used to have that until recently...
  • Reply 8 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah really, what happened to that functionality and macsbug?

BRussell's right, it only works when the app isN'T crashed.

Quote:

Hell, I've had the finder refuse to quit even after I've done a "sudo kill -9" on its sorry ass. I can't understand that one to save my life.

Damn! That's bad, I assume it was SMB?

• Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yeah really, what happened to that functionality and macsbug?

BRussell's right, it only works when the app isN'T crashed.

Damn! That's bad, I assume it was SMB?

Nope. I can't remember what it was but it wasn't SMB. I think it was MirrorAgent (iDisk syncing, I believe.)
  • Reply 10 of 29
    You can click and hold on the app in the dock, and it will bring up the options as well. No option, command click rubbish required.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

You can click and hold on the app in the dock, and it will bring up the options as well. No option, command click rubbish required.

But that doesn't do a thing if the app doesn't respond to the force quit command (what we're talking about going on here).
  • Reply 12 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

And, that only works if the OS (and hence the Dock) recognize the app as hung and unresponsive. Otherwise, you have to press option to enable the *Force* Quit item instead of just Quit. You are correct about not having to press ctrl though.

And, as pensieve points out, this doesn't always work if the app is really screwed.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    gah that fricken mirror agent that gets me about twice a week!!!! and no you can't forcequit it either.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    I usually have to invoke the force quit window twice, but it really doesn't matter to me since I'm not constantly force quitting. Things could be much, much worse.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Threads like this always make me wonder what kind of weird computing habits other people have that make these problems arise.

I almost never have the problems described here and I consider myself to be quite the power user. \
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Often, ctrl-opt clicking on the app's Dock icon to access Force Quit works when the dialog doesn't. *shrug*

heh funny, a lot of times i have it exactly the other way round. one or two times i also had it happen that even a kill -9 wouldn´t help at all (but that was not on panther).

but i agree that it often *is* unreliable when you really need it.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spaztik

Also another thing that's been in OS X since Jaguar is a neat little feature. When control-clicking the icon (that is locked up) in the Dock and hold option... This should change the Quit selection to Force Quit. That's another method but, I'm not done yet.

Ironically, sometimes when I have a lot of apps open and quitting takes a long time I just Ctrl+option click a dock icon and force quit! Long live OS X's easy force quit.

P.S. Talk about use of vB Code!
  • Reply 18 of 29
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    It's that damn iDisk mirroring that causes the Mirror Agent shit. And the flaky finder.

Makes you wonder why Steve doesn't do a Moto on that team.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    I've had the same problem running Jaguar
  • Reply 20 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Threads like this always make me wonder what kind of weird computing habits other people have that make these problems arise.

I almost never have the problems described here and I consider myself to be quite the power user. \

its not weird computing habits....and it has happened on every system i've used and also happens to my brother and mother and obviously many people here

if an app hangs.....which is THE REASON TO FORCE QUIT......and you try to....it doesn't on first try more often than not.

and its annoying and stupid as hell.