Woo! Awesome concert!

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
And I have tickets!!!

This Saturday at the Hollywood Palladium:

Red Hot Chili Peppers.

System of a Down

Special Mystery Guest with rumors tending towards Metallica.

A week from Wednesday at the Hollywood Palladium:

Evanescence

Seether

Finger 11

WOO! Awesome concert month.

What are the best concerts you have been to recently or are going to in the near future?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

What are the best concerts you have been to recently or are going to in the near future?

saw Pearl Jam 5 times on the last tour this summer. 4 times in 7 days in 3 different states

saw Gov't Mule and Robert Randolph and the Family Band in Central park June 6.

went to the Allman Brothers Band at the Greek Theatre here at Berkeley in September and got to sit on stage.

went to the Bridge School Benefit Concert October 25th which had Dashboard Confessional, Wilco, Indigo Girls, Incubus, Counting Crows, Pearl Jam, Willie Nelson, and Crosby Stills Nash and Young

had tickets to the 2nd show October 26th but sold them and went to see Peter Frampton at the Fillmore that night instead

went to see Jonny Lang at the Warfield November 1.

Have tickets to see the Counting Crows and The Wallflowers at the Warfield in December and Los Lobos at The Fillmore December 6.

and going to see Gov't Mule and Friends New Year's Eve at the Beacon Theatre in NYC.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Whoa System of a Down and mettalica on the same bill? Sounds like trouble.

I love SoaD, but I don't care for mettalica. Sounds freaking sweet though! have fun!
  • Reply 3 of 24
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I love SoaD, but I don't care for mettalica. Sounds freaking sweet though! have fun!

Thanks. Cool thing is that this concert is a charity event for Flea's music school and a prostate cancer research center.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I went to see The Flaming Lips last saturday here in Glasgow. It was, as usual, stunning as these guys really know how to put on a show.

One thing about it that made me think was Wayne spending 10 minutes talking about how coming to Glasgow and playing a gig was an amazing experience, unlike any other.

Now, I've been hearing this for over 10 years, basically every gig I go to, whether the band is English, Welsh, from the European mainland or North America, they all talk about how playing in Glasgow is in a different class because the crowd is so appreciative and into the music.

Now I'm cynical at the best of times, and simply assumed that bands say this wherever they go, but I've read the same claim in national magazines so it looks like there may be something to it.

So has anyone out there ever been to a gig in Glasgow? If it was different/better from wherever you normally attend gigs, how so?

---------------

I also saw The Super Furry Animals the week before, another band that can really put on a show: like putting a 15 minute techno breakdown, with bowel loosening subsonic bass, in the middle of one of their best songs (The Man Don't Give a ) and then coming back on stage for the last verse with the entire band dressed as Golden Retrievers..
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

And I have tickets!!!

This Saturday at the Hollywood Palladium:

Red Hot Chili Peppers.

System of a Down

Special Mystery Guest with rumors tending towards Metallica.

A week from Wednesday at the Hollywood Palladium:

Evanescence

Seether

Finger 11

WOO! Awesome concert month.

metallica is in japan
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I also saw The Super Furry Animals the week before, another band that can really put on a show: like putting a 15 minute techno breakdown, with bowel loosening subsonic bass, in the middle of one of their best songs (The Man Don't Give a ) and then coming back on stage for the last verse with the entire band dressed as Golden Retrievers..

• Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

I went to see The Flaming Lips last saturday here in Glasgow. It was, as usual, stunning as these guys really know how to put on a show.

Heh. The Flaming Lips opened for the Chili Peppers in an October show at the LA Great Western Forum. Boy did they suck ass! They got booed off the stage. It was so hilarious.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Summer sanitarium 2000 had them both as well as Korn. There was a death of heat exhaustion in Baltimore during the show.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Heh. The Flaming Lips opened for the Chili Peppers in an October show at the LA Great Western Forum. Boy did they suck ass! They got booed off the stage. It was so hilarious.

is that neccessary?

i could have easily said how pathetic system of a down and evanescence are but it's all opinion......well.....in most cases
  • Reply 10 of 24
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Chilli Peppers have gotten so lame its embarassing . . . as soon as the singer decided that he actually could sing and they had that gawdawful song about his favorite city

they now remind me of the kind of band that would attract the kind of audience that would BOO the Flaming Lips

. . . and to think that way back when they first started they had real punk attitude . . . or at least were thought to have it . . .
  • Reply 11 of 24
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I mean why are they now playing with lame-arse-juvinile-male-angst-metal bands?

I used to think they were better than that . . . but they proved me wrong . . . I guess
  • Reply 12 of 24

Can we put direct links to iTMS?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    applenut, how was bridge this year?

I saw PJ twice in 2 days (toronto, montreal), and hey what can i say, it's PJ....

And today off to se the white stripes.

:-)
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

is that neccessary?

i could have easily said how pathetic system of a down and evanescence are but it's all opinion......well.....in most cases

Well, they really were booed off the stage. I wasn't exaggerating. And, frankly, it was funny. Half the audience was booing and the other half was laughing because of all the booing.

Perhaps the lead singer's 5 minute talking intervals between songs where he made fun of Arnold, proclaimed he was from Tennessee, droned on about the war in Iraq, and then played this retarded nun ninja song with a hand puppet telling the audience to SHHHHHHHHHH had something to do with it.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

applenut, how was bridge this year?

I saw PJ twice in 2 days (toronto, montreal), and hey what can i say, it's PJ....

And today off to se the white stripes.

:-)

well....it was my first Bridge so it was cool in that regards. Most said it didn't stack up all that well with previous years. Line-up could have used one more biggie in it.

Highlights....

Pearl Jam was awesome...opened up with a killer Masters of War and followed with several covers (25 minutes to go, last kiss, i believe in miracles) and some originals...black...etc......show was running late at this point and their set was pretty short..... 2nd show they played more original songs and slightly longer. but i'll take Masters of War anyday. I hadn't seen them do that since the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert

Couting Crows were surprisingly really good....captured the crowd....made it seem real intimate.

Indigo Girls were better than I expected.

Willie Nelson's set felt like an eternity but was quite beautiful and he covered a lot of ground.

CSNY were good....I had never seen them before and was psyched but their voices (understandably) just arent what they used to be. Despite that....Déja Vü kicked ass.

Wilco, Dashboard Confessional and ESPECIALLY Incubus = yawn.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the best i've seen in the last 5 years (no particular order)

Bob Dylan

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Nine Inch Nails

Tori Amos

Run DMC

U2

they're pretty expensive to do very often, IMO.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

[pictures removed for brevity]

gives new meaning to the phrase "hair band"
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

the best i've seen in the last 5 years (no particular order)

Bob Dylan

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Nine Inch Nails

Tori Amos

Run DMC

U2

they're pretty expensive to do very often, IMO.

i second that for Bob Dylan and U2. I've seen each several times over the last couple years and each show has been great. Unfortunately U2's setlist doesn't change all that much but who can get tired of the "duel" between Bono and the Edge during Until The End of the World.

and Larry Campbell and Tony Garnier kick ass
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Howdy howdy

The last great band that I saw was Lacuna Coil at the Pound in San Francisco. Opening was a band whose name I have forgotten, Watch Them Die, and Eyes of Fire. Watch Them Die surprised me for the better with how well a show they put on. I was not alone with that opinion, too.

As expected, Lacuna Coil was amazing. The intimate setting only made things better, as I was within an arms reach of Cristiano. Also got to meet the rest of the band after the show. They're truly a great group of people and I sincerely hope they get the success that they deserve. \\m/

For anybody who is interested, LC just began another US tour today.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Over the summer I went to see Iron Maiden, Motorhead, and Dio. I'd have to say it was the best show I've ever seen. Unless you're talking about pure theatrics, then the two times I saw GWAR take that prize.