iTunes Rendezvous sharing to go way of internet sharing?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah I shouldn't have mentioned Ambrosia's software at all, because I was really thinking of the apps that let you actually download others' files, rather than capture streams.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    MacRumors has a blurb on this issue today. The Yale University newspaper has an article on iTunes that raises this.

The countdown for Apple to remove this sharing feature is on! I give it another week, and then we'll see iTunes 4.1.1, and no more sharing, even on local networks.

Yale article:
    Quote:

Since he downloaded Apple's iTunes music player, Keith Salas '07 said he has tried to listen to new music every day. But instead of buying songs through the iTunes Music Store (iTMS), he said he looks through users' playlists until he finds something he has not heard.

Yalies have rushed to download the iTunes music player and iTMS since it became available to Windows users two weeks ago. But while an Apple press release says users downloaded one million songs within the first 3.5 days the software was available to Windows users, many Yalies said they use it mainly to "share" others' music, not to buy songs from the iTMS.

iTunes allows users to connect to other iTunes users on the same network and listen to their iTunes music collections. iTunes network sharing has become particularly successful on Yale's campus. Students can listen to anyone's music in the their immediate vicinity, provided that the user has elected to turn on the library sharing feature. But unlike Kazaa and Napster, iTunes sharing does not permit the actual downloading of files. Users can only listen, as though each student is running a radio station, but one that lets listeners choose which songs are broadcast.

Keith Salas '07, who is a new iTunes user, and he said he is a fan of the network-sharing feature.

"It is the most amazing program I have ever seen," Salas said. "It is all right there with the click of a button. You can listen to everyone's music, with pretty good variety."

Over 400,000 songs from the major music labels and over 200 independent labels are available, according to an Apple press release. But Salas said he is less interested in the iTMS than the network sharing features.

• Reply 23 of 39
    Here is where the campus sharing should go:

You get 5 people with like minded musical tastes to buy an old Cube or G4 tower. Set it up as an iTunes server. Everyone put there music on the thing and agrees to add a CD or so a week. Password protect it.

Now all five people get a guaranteed source of quality music that is constantly updated but only costs 1/5 of buying CDs or 1/5 the time of getting stuff off the net. If the agreement falls through you still have the CDs you bought so there is no real financial harm or risk.

I bet there could be a way to expand the service further by having multiple computers access the same music to allow more than 5 people to listen in. Conceivably with a Xserve you could offer music for an entire campus simply by having people set the location of their iTunes library to the shared folder on the Xserve and then share the folder through iTunes. Of course the server might start to eat up a lot of bandwidth.

And someone at some point will figure out how to allow iTunes to share music with more than five people.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Sharing is a powerful distribution tool for mindshare. All you need is to have more direct access to the Music Store from the shared libraries. A "Find" button next to every song that will intelligently search for the song on the iTunes Music Store based on its information tags.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yeah, I think when the RIAA starts seeing those pictures, they're going to put pressure on Apple to remove ALL sharing features of iTunes.

This is the same as broadcasting, in a way. They aren't making money/selling/stealing the music, I don't think its a problem.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Then why do you think they got rid of internet sharing?
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

Then why do you think they got rid of internet sharing?

Wasn't it because people created websites where you could search for peoples shared music and then download it?

Maybe Apple will add some kind of encryption to limit sharing only to streaming.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

Wasn't it because people created websites where you could search for peoples shared music and then download it?

But when you use Rendezvous, you don't need web sites, because it has automatic discovery. The downloading was never part of iTunes' sharing, that was provided by third-party software, which could work just as easily now as then, AFAIK.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    It seems as if it was only a matter of time...

MyTunes

Now, does anyone now of a similiar program for Macs?
  • Reply 30 of 39
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by westonm

MyTunes

Son of a bitch, Apple and the RIAA better sue that guy into the ground. He's going to ruin rendezvous sharing for those of us who use it legally. I don't want Apple to have to force users to put passwords on their shared music, or disable rendezvous sharing all together?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

MyTunes

Not working for me. The share is running on a Mac. Nothing shows up in the MyTunes window...
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

MyTunes

Don't all those programs that were out when we had internet sharing still work? iLeech and all those?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Don't all those programs that were out when we had internet sharing still work? iLeech and all those?

It doesn't seem like any work with iTunes 4.1.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

http://www.deleet.de/projekte/daap/

wow, i didn't realize that was still going. back when iTunes music sharing was still allowed over the inet i was working on a daap library and server myself. i wonder if this server allows internet sharing, and i wonder if iTunes can still plug into it.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    ok, i've rekindled my interest in itunes. for a long time i had been turned off by the only-1-subnet deal. but i just discovered that if you download some rendezvous tools (from apple), you can trick rendezvous into connecting to a foreign itunes server (out of the subnet). then itunes can see that server and interact (albeit slowly) with its music. so basically, u jump through a few hoops, and u get back internet sharing. what's even cooler is the daaplib and daapd projects have come together with a runnable and OSS daap server. i am sourcing music from my linux box, to my pc box at work, miles away, and unrestricted by fascist subnet constraints. fabulous day.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    <interrupt flow> Why can't I load shared music in iTunes (normal same-subnet stuff) despite the name of the sharer being in my source list? Is it that I am not authorised to share his music? If that is the case, I thought there would be some error message that would came up on the screen and say 'Access Denied', or something. Or, that the shared library wouldn't even show up in my source list. When I click on the Shared Name ('Joe Blogg's Music' - whatever), I get 'Loading Joe Blogg's Music' in the display at the top; a loading bar that goes on for half-a-minute or so, then it just stops. What's up with that?
  • Reply 38 of 39
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

<interrupt flow> Why can't I load shared music in iTunes (normal same-subnet stuff) despite the name of the sharer being in my source list? Is it that I am not authorised to share his music? If that is the case, I thought there would be some error message that would came up on the screen and say 'Access Denied', or something. Or, that the shared library wouldn't even show up in my source list. When I click on the Shared Name ('Joe Blogg's Music' - whatever), I get 'Loading Joe Blogg's Music' in the display at the top; a loading bar that goes on for half-a-minute or so, then it just stops. What's up with that?

Typically, this means that they have a firewall up. I've encountered this several times, and that's what it's always been. The reason it takes a minute is because the foreign computer doesn't even reply to iTunes, and so you are just waiting for the timeout.

If it's another Mac, they can add a firewall rule easily to the Preference Pane... just to allow communication to port 3689.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    If you really wanted to share your music to others (I mean the files; not streaming), couldn't a person just share via the web-server? You could even use a .htaccess file to restrict the music directory to only people on campus (IP mask) or certain friends (username/password).