Sync Mail via iDisk?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm thinking about getting a nice new low-end iBook to complement my G5. However one of the reasons I'm thinking about doing this (along with not wanting to have to borrow an unreliable university ThinkPad-featuring-the-nubbin-tracking-device-of-doom for presentations ) is so I can have the same e-mail records (Inbox, Sent Mail, etc...) on two different machines. HoweverI can't seem to find any way to do this (I'm using POP3).

But with Panther's local iDisk feature, I wonder if I could save my mailboxes there, then update, then sync? Essentially, I'm wondering if OS X Mail will like it if I put my mailboxes in this folder rather than in the default location or will this mess something up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

I'm thinking about getting a nice new low-end iBook to complement my G5. However one of the reasons I'm thinking about doing this (along with not wanting to have to borrow an unreliable university ThinkPad-featuring-the-nubbin-tracking-device-of-doom for presentations ) is so I can have the same e-mail records (Inbox, Sent Mail, etc...) on two different machines. HoweverI can't seem to find any way to do this (I'm using POP3).

But with Panther's local iDisk feature, I wonder if I could save my mailboxes there, then update, then sync? Essentially, I'm wondering if OS X Mail will like it if I put my mailboxes in this folder rather than in the default location or will this mess something up?

I can't imagine it being a problem as long as you make sure to make an alias to your iDisk mail folder in your Library/Mail/ folder. That should probably do it. Though there's probably an easier way...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Though there's probably an easier way...

I'd love if there was! Suggestions welcome. Now I just have to hope that funding comes through so I can justify that iBook... Though I'm tempted to get one this coming week because of a lecture I have to give. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anywhere in the city of Montreal that has the 12'' model in stock at academic price. There's that Apple Store envy kicking in