Mozilla Stuff

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Lots already know that late Firebird nightlies come with an updated version of the Pinstripe theme. Some don't know, however, that these nightlies sometimes open up a prefs window bigger then your screen. Apparently, to fix this, quit and relaunch Firebird.

A Firebird nitpick: It's called Mozilla Firebird in the menu bar. Programs are supposed to have one-word names if possible and just putting "Firebird" in the menu bar is definitely plausible.

Mozilla 1.6 alpha is now available. As in Mozilla 1.5, the big new thing seems to be several Mail/News updates. Because I, and many others I assume, use such programs as the Mail app or Entourage for mail, it's hard for me to get excited about this. Also, Mozilla 1.6 includes about:about as a list of the available abouts. Very handy, I wonder if this is in the latest Firebird nightlies. More features may come in Moz 1.6 beta or RCs or Final.

The Mozilla Suite is of course fading away; if there ever will be a new Mozilla Suite (and reports indicate there will be,) it will be based on Firebird and Thunderbird. I hope this release will be called Mozilla 2 to indicate the major changes, both in the code and in the features.

Some claim IRC and Composer will be dropped. AFAIK, not true. I believe there is an early Composer build for Windows and ChatZilla builds available as well.

Some claim Netscape 7.1 is the last Netscape release. I have found more evidence of this (that's a google cache, if it comes down, someone with web hosting e-mail me please for a mirror) of this. Go down to actively developed. Netscape 7.1 is "no," aka. not.

The new Mozilla website is now longer in beta and now has information about Mozilla 1.6 alpha. It has been redesigned to be more consumer-oriented. For the most part, I approve of this.

You may not know this: A Mozilla CD has been available for a while. Mozilla CDs also include Firebird, Bugzilla, and the Mozilla source code. A CD "subscription" is also available where you get Mozilla on CD and new Mozilla CDs for each new major release for 12 months. It has free S&H. If S&H is expensive, it's the best value. If not, IMHO, despite Mozilla's claims, the standard CD is the best value. A Mozilla CD 5-pack of CDs is also available. Combine the $14.95 fee (instead of the more reasonable $3.95 for one) and possibly higher S&H, and I'd say it'd be better to get the standard one and make CD-R copies if possible.

Camino development has picked up recently. Camino 0.7 is still the latest standard Camino, but nightly builds are much more recent and apparently much better. Nightly builds of Camino (as of today the latest is 11-14-03) are available at ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or...ghtly/latest/.

Mozilla.org, a while ago, rearranged their FTP layout. The most prominent change is putting all (AFAIK) Mozilla-product related stuff at ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org. I believe before it was at ftp.mozilla.org/pub. The older one is quite a bit shorter; I don't see why they moved to the newer one.

Edit: blank lines added. Shetline asked.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Can you edit in a few blank lines between paragraphs so I can come back and read what you've written without going blind?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've been trying out Firebird and Thunderbird recently, as replacements for Safari and Mail (not permanent of course, just possible replacements). They're both remarkably good.

I don't like the preferences sheet in Firebird. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The worst part, though, is that it's implemented as a sheet. This is COMPLETELY wrong. Sheets are supposed to be specific to the window they are tied to, like with a save or print dialog. Preferences affect the entire application.

Also, I'd like it if the shortcut for switching tabs was easier to use. Right now it's control-tab to move one tab to the right and control-shift-tab to move one tab to the left. Safari's shortcuts for these actions are better, IMO (command-shift-left and command-shift-right).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    The short version, mostly by the summary service... kind of weird.

Lots already know that late Firebird nightlies come with an updated version of the Pinstripe theme. Some don't know, however, that these nightlies sometimes open up a prefs window bigger then your screen. ... Quit and relaunch firebird.

...A Firebird nitpick: It's called Mozilla Firebird in the menu bar. Programs are supposed to have one-word names if possible and just putting "Firebird" in the menu bar is definitely plausible.

...As in Mozilla 1.5, the big new thing seems to be several Mail/News updates. Because I, and many others I assume, use such programs as the Mail app or Entourage for mail, it's hard for me to get excited about this.... More features may come in Moz 1.6 beta or RCs or Final.

The Mozilla Suite is of course fading away; if there ever will be a new Mozilla Suite (and reports indicate there will be,) it will be based on Firebird and Thunderbird. I hope this release will be called Mozilla 2 to indicate the major changes, both in the code and in the features.

Some claim IRC and Composer will be dropped.... I believe there is an early Composer build for Windows and ChatZilla builds available as well.

Some claim Netscape 7.1 is the last Netscape release. I have found more evidence of this (that's a google cache, if it comes down, someone with web hosting e-mail me please for a mirror) of this.

...The new Mozilla website is now longer in beta and now has information about Mozilla 1.6 alpha.

...You may not know this: A Mozilla CD has been available for a while. Mozilla CDs also include Firebird, Bugzilla, and the Mozilla source code. A CD "subscription" is also available where you get Mozilla on CD and new Mozilla CDs for each new major release for 12 months.... If not, IMHO, despite Mozilla's claims, the standard CD is the best value.... Combine the $14.95 fee (instead of the more reasonable $3.95 for one) and possibly higher S&H, and I'd say it'd be better to get the standard one and make CD-R copies if possible.

...Camino 0.7 is still the latest standard Camino, but nightly builds are much more recent and apparently much better. Nightly builds of Camino (as of today the latest is 11-14-03) are available at ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...ightly/latest/.

...FTP has been reorganized... The most prominent change is putting all (AFAIK) Mozilla-product related stuff at ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org.... The older one is quite a bit shorter; I don't see why they moved to the newer one.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    You... found my weakness!

Bad grammer and punctuation!

I'm melting, I'm meeeeeellllllllltttttttting!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Moving to Software.