Charcoal font missing in 10.3?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just installed a new Keynote theme, and it complains that the Charcoal font is missing.

I could have *sworn* this was a default font now, but doing a quick Finder find shows nothing.

Anyone have the beast to send me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I don't recall having Charcoal as a default font in OS X, but I've had it in the OS 9 fonts folder all this while. Why would the theme use Charcoal in OS X? I thought it was one of these screen font thingies like Geneva.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I believe Charcoal replaced Chicago as the default system font for menus and the like in Mac OS 8.

If you've erased Classic from your life, Kickaha, PM me and I'll be happy to zip Charcoal up and send it over.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Just installed a new Keynote theme, and it complains that the Charcoal font is missing.

I could have *sworn* this was a default font now, but doing a quick Finder find shows nothing.

Anyone have the beast to send me?

If you look in System Folder (not System) there is a folder called Fonts. It should be there. System Folder is found at the root level of your drive so don't waste your time in the Users folder cause it's not there.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I have charcoal when I open up my font panel. Do you really want such a bold all the time text?!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac007

If you look in System Folder (not System) there is a folder called Fonts. It should be there. System Folder is found at the root level of your drive so don't waste your time in the Users folder cause it's not there.

ROFL

The "System Folder" is part of your classic installation dude, not your Mac OS X installation. So that doesn't apply.

Barto
  • Reply 6 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

ROFL

The "System Folder" is part of your classic installation dude, not your Mac OS X installation. So that doesn't apply.

Barto

Yes it does.

OSX looks for fonts in the Classic System Folder as well as all the OSX Fonts folders.

Amorya
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, but if you do an Erase and Install of 10.3, as I did, you don't have Classic installed, and hence, no Charcoal.

I'll have to go snag it from another machine.

Thanks all.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

Yes it does.

OSX looks for fonts in the Classic System Folder as well as all the OSX Fonts folders.

I was assuming Kickaha, like most people here, didn't have classic installed
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

ROFL

Barto

Yes that's true in one sense but I did find the charcoal font there and was able to move it to X via the new Font Book utility in Panther. I assumed the other person had classic installed and would do the same or else would just drag and drop it into his X system folder.