speculation: new 90nm PPC 970 PowerMacs and XServe in February

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
my thoughts are based on this:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...psg1MIGR-53431

i think if ibm can put two ppc 1.6GHz-970s in a 1U unit this must be 90nm cpus because of the heat of current 120nm 1.6 GHz chips. however - if ibm can do it, apple also can which means updated G5 xservers at the end of february along with new PowerMac G5s at higher clockspeeds at the same time (end of february). the update of the new g5 revision will be given in a special event in february. another hint at new 90nm PPC 970s can be found here

all based on speculation. but i think it sounds good :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I doubt it. We all know they're coming out with some kind of upgrade around that time, but I'd guess it's going to be a speed-bumped version of the chip they're using now. And I doubt that IBM server uses .9 chips. I'd bet it's the same 970 Apple is using now. Sorry to be so negative.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

my thoughts are based on this:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...psg1MIGR-53431

i think if ibm can put two ppc 1.6GHz-970s in a 1U unit this must be 90nm cpus because of the heat of current 120nm 1.6 GHz chips. however - if ibm can do it, apple also can which means updated G5 xservers at the end of february along with new PowerMac G5s at higher clockspeeds at the same time (end of february). the update of the new g5 revision will be given in a special event in february. another hint at new 90nm PPC 970s can be found here

all based on speculation. but i think it sounds good :-)

Judging by the both the clockspeed and release date for the IBM blades, it's more likely that the CPUs are being manufactured with current fabbing tech (>90mm). The transition to 90mm will pave the road for future higher speed blades (e.g. a future model with dual >= 2.0GHz CPUs, etc.).
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    And remember that the BladeCenter holds 14 blades. That's 28 PPC970 cpu's in a 7U space. Not bad. If they can do it, I think Apple can cram one 970 in a 1U server.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    This means that two 42u racks could hold 6 blade systems with 28 G5 processors and 14 xRaids with 14 250GB drives.

Performance with 168 2GHz G5s estimated at 1.1 TFlop/s.

Storage capacity estimated at 49 TB.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

Judging by the both the clockspeed and release date for the IBM blades, it's more likely that the CPUs are being manufactured with current fabbing tech (>90mm). The transition to 90mm will pave the road for future higher speed blades (e.g. a future model with dual >= 2.0GHz CPUs, etc.).

why is it that ibm didn't come out with a ppc970 blade server already if they're using the current 970s? i mean - blade server from ibm with other (non ibm) processors are out for long... ?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

why is it that ibm didn't come out with a ppc970 blade server already if they're using the current 970s? i mean - blade server from ibm with other (non ibm) processors are out for long... ?

They may have had problems with the design of the blade holding up to the heat, notice that they just anounced the 1.6 ghz yet they have at least up to 2.0 ghz ready to ship, and by some accounts up to 2.5 Ghz. I think that if they could have filled a 1U rack with 2.0 Ghz 970's, and had them running reliably, then IBM would have anounced them.

Just speculation, but this could be the reason that the Xserve is yet to ship, IBM allows Apple to get the chips and market them as desktop chips ASAP, but holds them back from their server products till IBM gets their blades on the market. No conspiracy theory, but these types of agreements do make it not contracts so it could be possible.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    i just want to mention that i was right on the 90nm XServe in february... and i will be right on the PowerMac too... IBM will have an event on January 8 on the 90nm process... more can be found here
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

i just want to mention that i was right on the 90nm XServe in february... and i will be right on the PowerMac too... IBM will have an event on January 8 on the 90nm process... more can be found here

Credit where credit's due (as opposed to whoever can best come up with the story everybody wants to believe in most).

Well done Krassy!

Now wipe that smuggery off your face and tell me something useful about the NASDAQ!

• Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by OverToasty

Credit where credit's due (as opposed to whoever can best come up with the story everybody wants to believe in most).

Well done Krassy!

Now wipe that smuggery off your face and tell me something useful about the NASDAQ!

*lol*

i don't know about the NASDAQ but this for AAPL: i think that apple will announce a very good profit on january 14th. net sales could come in at around $2.100 (in millions) and profits could be near $100 million. but don't bet on it... ;-) in 2004 the iPod sales will at least double (if not better) .. apple will sell nearly as many iPods as Macs...

the last number i got was 730.000 iPods sold in Q1'04 (336.000 in Q4'03) - also the PowerMac G5 is said to sell very good. and last but not least apple sells a lot of iMac 17" and PowerBook 15" and has a winner with the iBook G4 (just have a look at the top 10 products in the apple store)... 2004 will be even better as i think apple will be able to deliver a 64bit laptop...

my bet is on $33 for AAPL. but we'll see ...