Immediate Display Sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, here's the idea: I serve things up off of my computer, so I never really want to put it to sleep, but I do want to turn the LCD off at night since it's at my room. I've grown sick of waiting the alloted time to have the display sleep, and it's a PITA when I constantly need to be adjusting it.

So, does anyone have any ideas? Some thoughts of mine are a shell script that sets the defaults value to 0 and then back again, or an applescript that slides the slider, waits a minute, and moves it back again. But, I have no idea if these will work or how to implement them since I ain't no 1337 haxxor.

I would imagine that this would be helpful to others, too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    What you could do, is turn down the brightness all the way so that the backlight turns off... and although this doesn't turn off the LCD completely, it'll be dark enough that it won't disturb you. (You can't really tell that it's still on unless you look very carefully. It's really rather faint.) Eventually, display sleep will kick in at the scheduled time and completely turn off the LCD.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...the power button?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

...the power button?

I'm guessing he has a cinema display, hit the power button, puts the computer to sleep. I would go with fiddler's suggestion and hit the other button on your display, which brings up display preferences, than turn the brightness all the way down. Set your display sleep time to be really short, 5, maybe 10 minutes. That should take care of things for you.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Mm.. Sorry, I forgot to say I had an iMac. \

No power button. Turning down the brightness doesn't turn off the LCD backlight.

Ideally, I would bind a shell script or an applescript to a Konfabulator widget (or some GUI equivalent) and that would immediately put my display to sleep.

But, last night, I was grokking through some of the command line stuff, and it appears that the pmset utility is used to adjust energy saver prefs, and they have to be integer values. So, perhaps I could create a shell script to use pmset to drop the value for display sleep to 1 and then after one minute, pump it back up to the previous level. Oh, can you invoke the screen saver via command line?

The whole idea here is that I'm sick of needing to always be changing my energy saver settings. So, I'm looking for a one-click fix.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I understand your problem and agree that it would be nice. I wish apple would give you gadz of options for when you hit your power button. One of which could be shut off your screen.

...then again I guess we'll probably get then when Apple lets your close your powerbook without your computer going to sleep \
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

...then again I guess we'll probably get then when Apple lets your close your powerbook without your computer going to sleep

Why would you want that? When would that be useful?