looking at a 15" is this good?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been thinking of buying a 15" PB. But have started to question this after reading some of the posts. I am wondering now about looking at other notebooks. Any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    stay away from the Al15 until further notice. i just bought a AL12 and i'm loving it. my only issue is battery life, but this is my first notebook so maybe i'm just being overly critical. overall, a damn good computer.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bjerbjer Posts: 67member
    Go for the 17 inch, its fantastic.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJer

Go for the 17 inch, its fantastic.

yeah, it all depends on how big a screen you want to cart around with you. if you dont mind the size, the 17 is definitely solid, although expensive.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bjerbjer Posts: 67member
    I have both the 15 incher and the 17 incher in the office and carry both around depending on the needs of the trip. In terms of size, not that different. Portability is really with the 12 inch PB but if you are willing to consider the 15 inch, then the 17 inch is worth considering too.

When you add the slightly faster processor and 1X512 versus 2X256 plus the screen real estate, its really not that much more. (of course all of the PBs could come down a bit in price, we all hope)
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I have a 15" on the way, it's going to be a while before it ships though.

I'm a little scared that it will be faulty, but I'm mostly optimistic, especially since the delay is likely caused by the defects and they are probably working on not shipping defective models anymore.

whatever, I'm optimistic.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ Allied cents _

stay away from the Al15 until further notice.

I doubt that apple would release a statement "yes most of the 15" WERE ed up...but they are better now" but...then again, apple has been doing many uncharacteristic things lately.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I doubt that apple would release a statement "yes most of the 15" WERE ed up...but they are better now" but...then again, apple has been doing many uncharacteristic things lately.

"further notice" referring to positive reports from customers, not from apple itself. i havent heard anything but negative feedback from AL15 owners. not worth taking that chance until those reports go away...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

"further notice" referring to positive reports from customers, not from apple itself. i havent heard anything but negative feedback from AL15 owners. not worth taking that chance until those reports go away...

I've actually read some favorable comments about the new 15" Alu book. I am very impressed with my new 1.25Ghz stock model. Speedy, great keyboard, bright screen. I was originally concerned about battery life, but that has been improved with Panther.

I have the dreaded white spots, and I'm planning to get it to Apple when it's evident from other posts that it has been corrected. Other than that, I'm very happy.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Has anyone actually recieved a replacement PB after shipping it off due to the white spots? If so please let us know about quality improvements?

Maciek.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I know the answers have been all over the place, but I really feel as though the 15" is the PERFECT PowerBook.

Yeah, I have one...

But seriously, I could've bought any model Apple offers: PowerBook OR iBook, and in any size/configuration...and certainly struggled with the whole thing in recent months.

But with the 15", you get ALL the "future-proof" goodies and features in a still-somewhat tight, practical size for day-to-day use and toting around. That's why I waited for so long...I KNEW it was coming at some point. It was a long summer.

The combo drive OR superdrive model are both great computers, IMO, and Macworld says they're pretty evenly matched. In fact, they only dinged them on battery life AND the weird, random "issues" accompanying this initial batch.

I rolled the dice and - so far - think I might've gotten lucky.

But it's a great machine and I know I won't be feeling like "DAMMIT...I could've had a..." in the months/years to come. FireWire 800 is just coming around, so I'm ready for that if I ever need to be. USB 2? AirPort Extreme? Bluetooth? Gigabit Ethernet?

Yep.

I feel like I got more bang for the buck with that $2500 than any other Mac I've ever purchased or thought about purchasing.

The 12" and 17" are great laptops. But for me, I knew I'd regret the smallness of the 12"...and the odd "hugeness" of the 17" somehow gets to me...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    "This girls I know" bought a decked out 15" Al. It is really cool. no white spots, and the glowing keys are a really nice touch. It's her first mac, and in just three weeks it has made her die-hard.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I'll sell you mine.

PBook 1.25GHz Stock except CD-RW.

I like the powerbook but I don't need the portability, I am know I'd rather have a tower and not sure what I was thinking. It sucks becuase I don't know if I can sell my PowerBook with a minimal loss and pick up a 1.6 G5.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I have had a 1,25ghz 15" pb for 7 weeks now, and still no white spots.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I have mine for like a month now. Works like a charm. No spots, battery life ok (even with Airport always on).