iphoto so slow?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
iphoto seems really slow when I try to view them by film roll or rotate a picture. Takes a good min do something at all. This is the only program that acts this way on my whole system ( I have final cut pro which runs very fast). I do have over 8000 pics in my library but on my pc things are very snappy in its photo view program (cannon software).

My mac is new and has been a real charm but iphoto is a real dog?

I have a dual 2.0ghz with 1.5 gigs of ram (panther) and my pc is a pen 2.5ghz with 1 gig of ram (xp pro).

Why is it so slow? This is my 1st mac so I am not sure if its a iphoto thing or a mac thing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It's an iPhoto thing. Once your library exceeds about a Gb, the app slows way down. My library is around 4 Gb, and I can hardly stand to use iPhoto because its such a drag.

Hopefully Apple will address this issue in the next installment of iPhoto (rumored to be released at MacWorld in Jan, I believe). Many others have complained about iPhoto's lack of speed as well, so it's not just you.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you want to manage that many pictures, iPhoto just isn't for you. It's fast enough if you have under a thousand, but once you get above that it's just impossible to work with.

I have a lot of pictures as well, and here are the programs I use (all free or shareware):

Simple Image Browser - for browsing photos I have organized in a folder hierarchy

GraphicConverter - great for converting the format for any number of images, from one or two to hundreds or thousands at once. Plenty of simple tools to edit pictures. Try before you buy, $35.

iPhoto - organizes my digital photos and it's also good for quick image editing. I like the one-click enhance.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Get iview media pro 2.0 It's spendy but you'll love it.

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    There's also an application called iPhoto Library Manager, available at versiontracker.com. It allows you to chop up your 8000 photos into 10, 800 photo albums. You can only view one album at a time, but you can freely switch between them.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Isn't there a way to create a 2nd iphoto library? I am having this problem as well. A second library would allow you to keep the photos on the computer but not have them get loaded everytime you utilize iphoto. Anybody familiar with how to do this or if it is possible?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Another option is Extensis Portfolio. i find it over-priced, a pain to use, and the UI isn't as good as iPhoto, but it managed large libraries of huge photos well.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Get iview media pro 2.0 It's spendy but you'll love it.

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

I have just buyed it. I received it two days after my order (hello Apple do you hear that ? ). But i don't have enought time right now to test it .