Crappy new keyboards

4fx4fx
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Whats up with Apple's new keyboards that are shipping with all new desktop machines? They are perhaps the the ugliest keyboard Ive even seen. The Pro Keyboard was very elegant and ergonomic and was perhaps the best on the market and now theyve gone to this crap! What could they be thinking?

And why on earth are white keyboards shipping with G5s? Thats even worse than shipping them with the eMac or iMac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I totally agree. The current keyboards for the G5's look like an afterthought or leftovers from the iMac inventory.

I've posted this link before, and I've actually tried one in a retail store, but these keyboards are pretty good. Too bad it doesn't come in black.

http://macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/icekey.html
  • Reply 2 of 46
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Oh jeez. MacAlly products are trash. And why anybody would want a desktop keyboard with scissor-key switches instead of the traditional spring plunger type is beyond me.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have one and I think it's just fine. Smaller than the Pro Keyboard. I wouldn't mind a Pro Keyboard either but my standard one is okay too.

If I wanted a replacement I'd get a Microsoft Natural Keyboard though... I've used them before and although they take some getting used to, they really are better for your hands. Combine with my learning Dvorak (still slow but I know where everything is at least), that should help.

EDIT: As for MacAlly being trash... maybe they are. I've heard mixed reports lately about them. I know they USED to be good, because I have an ADB mouse made by them and it's the best quality mouse I've ever used, extremely durable and sturdy, great tracking for a ball mouse, and still works like new after probably 6 or 8 years. But maybe their new stuff is bad. I've used an iceKey for a very short period of time and I thought it was okay, but nothing special.
  • Reply 4 of 46
  • Reply 5 of 46
    The only good thing about the new keyboard is that its small footprint. The Pro Keyboard was the best. I loved the beveled edges. I wish I picked one up while I had a chance. I also hate white. Imagine all the grime you're gonna see on it. Plus the new boards have open gaps allowing more dirt inside.

On another note, why are pc keyboards so freakin huge! It's like a skateboard. Keys feel small with its pyramid shape and large gaps between keys. At times it feels like you're pushing down on a lego brick.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

Whats up with Apple's new keyboards that are shipping with all new desktop machines? They are perhaps the the ugliest keyboard Ive even seen. The Pro Keyboard was very elegant and ergonomic and was perhaps the best on the market and now theyve gone to this crap! What could they be thinking?

And why on earth are white keyboards shipping with G5s? Thats even worse than shipping them with the eMac or iMac.

Give me a frickin' break. THey look very good, they feel very good, and for gyad's sake...it's only a keyboard.

I can't see why anyone would like the old one more, or why they would even care. If you want a different keyboard, feel free to buy a goddamn Logitech or Macally or something.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I like the new G5 keyboard. It's compact but has all the right keys. I use one at work. At home I have the Macally netkey and it's ok but I don't like the placement of the cursor keys.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    yeah, the new keyboards still perform just as well as the old pro keyboard.

they are just smaller.

although I really liked the Side USB ports, very useful for game controllers

also I'd say the new design actually would be easier to clean, the gaps between keys, while not covered in plastic, would be easily purged of dust and grime with a quick Dust-off blast, can't say the same about the pro keyboard, that allows crap in, but not out. \

was the pro keyboard great? YES! it was a fantastic keyboard, quiet, comfortable, designed well

is the new keyboard great? it's different, but it is still a very good keyboard.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    here's a good mouse/keyboard combo. i like how the keys resemble those of a laptop...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01060
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I totally agree. The current keyboards for the G5's look like an afterthought or leftovers from the iMac inventory.

I've posted this link before, and I've actually tried one in a retail store, but these keyboards are pretty good. Too bad it doesn't come in black.

http://macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/icekey.html

Anyone ever tried this? http://www.halfkeyboard.com/tactilepro/

Sounds promising ... but I guesss every company will tell you wonders about their own products.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    I have a near-identical keyboard to that of MacAlly, except this is for my PC, and it's black and silver and made by a company called "Zippy"... I much prefer it over the standard type of keyboard - its' laptop style keys are so much nicer on my hands... The worst thing is that some of the keys are in odd places on this one - I don't know if it's the same on the MA one... But then, this one is much more like the compact laptop keyboard - i.e. it's the letters with the arrow keys at the bottom left of that block, with the number pad being the only thing seperate. Dunno why they put the delete key at the bottom next to the arrow keys, but I've gotten used to it now...

The other thing - it's so much easier to change the keys around to the Dvorak layout on this; I don't think my last, standard keyboard could...

--Mike
  • Reply 12 of 46
    I like the new keyboard. I just don't understand why it's white. Seems like a quality product, though.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    My personal fav. was the Apple USB keyboard, shipped with the iMAc and B&W.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I definitely agree that white is an idiotic color for a keyboard. Otherwise, I think the new Apple Keyboard is quite pleasing to the eye. However, the new keyboard is an ergonomic disaster. It bothers me to no end that you can't make the new keyboard flat. It's slanted up by default, which is an ergonomic no-no. My wrists hurt just thinking about it.

Escher
  • Reply 15 of 46
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I hated the Apple USB Keyboard. What a piece of crap! It didn't even have all the necessary keys, and I haven't used a single one that hasn't had at least one of the arrow keys stuck down.

Best keyboard IMHO was the Apple Extended II. Just a perfect balance of tactile feedback, noise, and size. Everything about it was great!

I like the new Apple Keyboard. I don't know why anyone would want their keyboard to be completely flat, that's very uncomfortable for me because to hit any of the keys on the upper rows my fingers really have to reach.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I hated the Apple USB Keyboard. What a piece of crap! It didn't even have all the necessary keys, and I haven't used a single one that hasn't had at least one of the arrow keys stuck down...

Really? I never had a problem with the arrow keys... I like the keyboard so much I picked up a 2nd one just incase my first goes south.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Are the new keyboards shipping with the iMac and eMac the same ones being sold separately as the Apple Pro Keyboard for $49? Different USB port placement and a smaller overall footprint, right?

Someone help me with some planning and tell me how long the cable is on those puppies, please? Thanks!

For the record, I was one of those idiots that actually dug the small keyboard and hockey puck mouse that came with my iMac DV.

But I admit, the full-size keyboard and the bean-shaped optical mouse that came with my LCD iMac were HUGE improvements.

I'm getting a mouse next weekend and I MIGHT pick up a keyboard too...this "leaning forward to type on the PowerBook's keys" is getting old after just three weeks.

Ouch!
  • Reply 18 of 46
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Anyone ever tried this? http://www.halfkeyboard.com/tactilepro/

Sounds promising ... but I guesss every company will tell you wonders about their own products.

Yeah, this keyboard is frickin' great. Well, I've only ever used it in compusa, but i LOVED it there. It has a very solid feel, much less chinsey than the apple pro keyboard.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    APPLE ADJUSTABLE KEYBOARD !!!

The best mainstream keyboard ever.

Grab a Belkin ADB -> USB adaptor, plug it in, and fly. Ive bought two of them off of ebay. They are cheap ( at last ), and feel great. Ive even modded one of mine to fit the belkin adaptor into the number pad.

They have a few downs - the key switches get dirty and need to be cleaned ( just open up the plastic shell and scratch the metal contacts clean ), and there is only one control key ( one the left hand side ).

It has completely saved my wrists, and when other people have to use my computer they can close it up ( unlike a microsoft ergonomic ).
  • Reply 20 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Not one of you clowns can measure the damn cable from the new Apple keyboard?