The G5 Is Coming

farfar
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Motorola's G5 is coming!

Check this <a href="http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hes-22.07.02-000/"; target="_blank">Link</a>

(German)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    dbdb Posts: 3member
    translated via google.

Motorolas new CCU G5 comes nevertheless

The processor manufacturer Motorola , at present most important Apple supplier, revised the reference manual of the announced G5-Prozessors ( MPC8540). Version 1 describes in detail registers and instructions also as "Book of the E" designated Designs, which are to debuetieren with 600 MHz to 1 GHz. Even first programming examples in assembler are in the appendix. Additionally Motorola plans a 32-Bit-Variante, which does without the majority of the 64-Bit-Befehle, however a part of the new floating-point instructions to offer is. One does not call the document however: When Motorola delivers the first processors. With the announcement 1999 one expected first computers for this year and up to 2 GHz clock.

At present Apple is bound to the 1-GHz-Variante of the 32-Bitters G4 , whose faster expenditures take time still. Only the G4 offers the Altivec unit used by many Mac OS programs for fast floating decimal point computations. The computer manufacturer comes appreciably now by the Windows competition under pressure, which recruits soon with 3-GHz-Prozessoren for itself.

There it does not surprise that the speculations mehren themselves. Of there the speech to IBMs Power4 is, which would have to learn however still the Altivec instructions, transferred. So far a too expensive solution, packed IBM nevertheless always four processors into a housing, since short gives it to Power4-Chips however as more affordable loners . The British rumor stock exchange The Inquirer taps against it on AMD: The coming Opterons (formerly hammer) offers like the G5 64-Bit-Befehle, and with dynamites P/X already longer an efficient PPC emulation is available. ( hes /c't)
  • Reply 1 of 50
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    [quote]Originally posted by Far:

<strong>Motorola's G5 is coming!

Check this <a href="http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hes-22.07.02-000/"; target="_blank">Link</a>

(German)</strong><hr></blockquote>

and for those of us who don't speak german, here's a google translation:

<a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.heise.de/newsticker %2Fdata%2Fhes-22.07.02-000%2F&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&prev=%2Flanguage_tools" target="_blank">Link</a>
  • Reply 3 of 50
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Far:

<strong>Motorola's G5 is coming! Check this (German)</strong><hr></blockquote>

It only says that Motorola updated it's "G5 handbook" with assembler code examples. The G5 should debut at 600-1000 mhz and there will be a scaled-down 32 bit version of it with the 64 bit floating point instruction set (probably means some registers will be 64 and some 32?).

It doesn't say Apple will use it and not even when it's coming.

I find it unbelieveable that Apple would stick a 600 mhz G5 into the PowerMac since I don't think it could be faster than a 2.2 ghz P4. Unless they come cheap and Apple can stick 2-4 of them into a system at a reasonable price.

edit: come to think of it, a "G5" might as well be coming soon to the mac, only it would be a 7500 and not a 85whatever

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: xype ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 50
    haderachhaderach Posts: 32member
    Now some of the details I reported some time ago are official (www.motorola.com):

Embedded e500 Book E compatible core available from 600 MHz up to 1 GHz

*\t32-bit, dual-issue, superscalar, seven-stage pipeline

*\t1850 MIPS at 800 MHz (est. Dhrystone 2.1)

*\t32 KB L1 data and 32 KB L1 instruction cache with line locking support

*\t256 KB on-chip L2 cache with direct mapped capability

*\tEnhanced hardware and software debug support

*\tMemory management unit (MMU)

*\tSIMD extension with single precision floating point

*\tTwo triple-speed Ethernet controllers (TSECs) supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (IEEE 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3x, 802.3z, and 802.3ac compliant) with two GMII/TBI/RGMII interfaces

*\t166 MHz, 64-bit, 2.5V I/O, DDR SDRAM memory controller with full ECC support

*\t500 MHz, 8-bit, LVDS I/O, RapidIO controller

*\t133 MHz, 64-bit, 3.3V I/O, PCI-X 1.0a/PCI 2.2 bus controller

*\t166 MHz, 32-bit, 3.3V I/O, local bus with memory controller

*\t10/100 Ethernet controller (802.3) for chip debug and maintenance support

*\tIntegrated four-channel DMA controller

*\tInterrupt controller

*\tIEEE 1149.1 JTAG test access port

*\t1.2V core power supply with 3.3V and 2.5V I/O

*\t783-pin FC-BGA package
  • Reply 5 of 50
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    Wow... that article actually makes me hope Apple doesn't release the G5 (soon)...

From the way it sounds, no Altivec and only 600-1000Mhz?

I'd rather have 1.4 dual G4 (if it exists).

Unless, of course, the G5 is EXTREEMLY efficient and FAST at those clock rates. It would be kind of cool if a 1Ghz G5 was like 3 times faster than a 2.5Ghz P4 in all benchmarks. Apple could put together a good Ad campaign that totally embarrasses the P4 and makes it look like the most inefficient processor in the world. I know this is highly unlikely though.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I'll see your MPC 8540 and up you an MPC8560<a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC8560&nodeId=01M0ypBDKCb"; target="_blank">Motorola Press Release</a>

Note: the MPC 8560 has a floating point unit. Although, I would think the MPC 8560 would never see the inside of a desktop computer, doesn't this indicate Motorola is making some progress??? SoC is alive??

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: rickag ]

opps, haderach, just realized the spec's you posted were for the MPC8560.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: rickag ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 50
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    There is no indication at all that these processors will be used by Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    How about a yet to be released 8580? Mot looks like they are putting these new 85XX chips together like legos. there may be an Altivec piece there somewhere.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Programmer

Agreed, but doesn't this indicate Motorola is making progress w/ SoC tech, which would in the future??, be used in a desktop??

Also, I couldn't find if the MPC 8560 is sampling, for sale or still in development. Anyone know??

I say,"future??", because, isn't it possible the tech(re: Rapid I/O, Ocean switched web, etc.) may appear in an Apple product first. Just asking, I really don't know. Did the tech in the G4 appear in the communications sector prior to the MPC 7400??
  • Reply 9 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>How about a yet to be released 8580? Mot looks like they are putting these new 85XX chips together like legos. there may be an Altivec piece there somewhere.</strong><hr></blockquote>

... ya know somethin', if you're putting together digital lifestyle devices; and desktop machines, it's starting to look like having options on killer embedded chips, that are compatible with power sucking desktop chips is not a bad way to go ... especially if those embedded thingies are very customizable ...
  • Reply 11 of 50
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Yep, but then again, the e500 core is nothing to write home about. It has some nice features but most of the impressive features is around the core; RapidIO, OCeaN, DDR memory controller, etc. And even so, it lacks the Altivec component.

I hope they are working on a more impressive core.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Yep, but then again, the e500 core is nothing to write home about. It has some nice features but most of the impressive features is around the core; RapidIO, OCeaN, DDR memory controller, etc. And even so, it lacks the Altivec component.

I hope they are working on a more impressive core.</strong><hr></blockquote>

An "Integrated Communications Processor" probably doesn't need a more impressive core. The point is Motorola has announced a next generation processor with a floating point unit, doesn't this mean they making identifiable progress with System on a Chip??

I also hope,"they are working on a more impressive core." or already have one.

• Reply 13 of 50
    [quote]

From the way it sounds, no Altivec and only 600-1000Mhz?

<hr></blockquote>

Note: SIMD is Altivec. Altivec/Velocity Engine are a type of SIMD instruction unit. SIMD stands for Single Instruction Multiple Data in reference to the style of multi-unit processing. The other for of processing is MIMD, Multiple Instruction Multiple Data. This is ussually used in distributed computing, or in computers with multiple processors.

So the spec does include the Altivec unit.

Also, remember Moto releases these chips to other people besides Apple. And those other people do not need more than a giga-hertz in speed.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    No altivec means no Apple. There is simply far too much invested in Altivec for apple to dump it.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Sky is falling.

World is over.

But yes, I do agree that Apple will not drop AltiVec.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    o iborgo iborg Posts: 14member
    Sorry if this sounds rude, but when will People finally understand MPC85xx are NO Desktop Prozessors?

Apple doesnt even THINK of using this. Just because its the first and sofar only implementation of the new Book-e Standard between Moto and IBM, this doesnt mean its good.

Its for the Cisco Routers, for example, if oyu recall the news back a while that Cisco would use a "G5" for their HiPerformance Routers or whatever.

Its a VERY nice design althought, but it might at best be suitable for a iPad or something thelike. NOT that I thought Apple would do such a thing, OK ;-)

There is no G5 data so far, the only thing we can guess for the G5 or whatever it going to be called by Apple is what we can guess from the current Industry standards.

You better look at the 7470 Chip thats going to be used soon, and if you do, you'll find it has certain features "this G5" doesnt have according to the supposed specs I read here.

G5 comes out 2003 at earliest, and only if all goes well.

I further believe that one should think about how the future G4 versions are going to interact with the MoBo, THERE we need to ameliorate! DDR, for example. MPX+ is used for this, and we hopefully are going to see the XServe's new Xbar Switch designed by Apple (AFAIK) in the coming PowerMac Models.

Dont you see: The G4 always comes out ahead when it either can do its stuff in the cache or when it can use AltiVec. This means (besides AltiVec is just incredible cool) that whenever the G4 has to access the memory bus, "our" performance drop down to hell.

When I look at my QuickSilver: It has a 733 CPU (7455, twice the AV performance of the 7400), but no Benchmark tool shows me more than around 153 MB/s to the Memory!!! How come!!?! Even the 500 Mhz Cube had more! This is a ridiculous low number compared to a) what the MPX bus maxes out (850MB/s 1+) and b) what current IA32 Systems can do.

But, you can put it in other words: Given this, its surprising the G4 QuickSilvers performe as "good" as they actually do...

Now go flame me if you want - with or without Reality Distortion comments *ggg*
  • Reply 17 of 50
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    G5 sounds brutal, methinks they should choose a new letter, like start with the 'A1' 'A2' the A's sound good through 5 when they could pick another letter
  • Reply 18 of 50
    weird triple post

• Reply 19 of 50
    weird double post

• Reply 20 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by ? iBORG:

<strong>Sorry if this sounds rude, but when will People finally understand MPC85xx are NO Desktop Prozessors?

You better look at the 7470 Chip thats going to be used soon, and if you do, you'll find it has certain features "this G5" doesnt have according to the supposed specs I read here.

G5 comes out 2003 at earliest, and only if all goes well.

*ggg*</strong><hr></blockquote>

No flames here but, I think every one knows the MPC 8540 and MPC 8560 will not be used in a desktop computer. Read the posts, most qualify their statements.

And you're probably right about the introduction of a G5 next year, maybe middle to late next year, if then, so what. But the addition of a floating point to the MPC 8560 does indicate progress, no matter how slow in coming. This is news and also somewhat verifies Motorola's ability to implement SoC tech and the ability to move toward a more modular design, making introduction of a variety of chips easier.

Oh and you mentioned the MPC 7470, do you have any links to Motorola describing the MPC 7470?? I would really like to read them.