Optical out on an iPod dock?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Can this happen? Optical offers the highest quality of audio, so why not add it to the dock connecter in addition, or in place of, the line out? They add that, I'm goin for the iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    i don't see any reason for them to add it too the dock but only for sake of being convenient to hook up to something extremely high end. Remember you're playing compressed audio... going optical out will increase your audio hardly at all if anything you'll notice the flaws more heh. I really don't see the necessity of it, sorry... except that it would add some degree of high end coolness. But alas its like a component out on a regular VCR...

at least you could say... hey buddy I paid 300$ for all these cables...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    iPod doesn't have to have compressed audio playing
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I was under the impression that the IPOD tho it can take an uncompressed aiff... that it compressed it on the fly to 44.1 compressed and 2 channels only... while it spools it off to memory. If the Ipod could do 5.1 channel surround then yeah it'd be sweet to have an optical out.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    There's not much difference (if any) between an toslink and a digital coax, so why have one? A straight digital cable will be just the same, at short runs. Also toslink is prone to internal reflections over longer lengths. Not worth the extra cash from my experience and what I've read. Toslink cables are additionally very fragile and can break very easily. I'm very careful moving mine around, hooking and hooking my PS2 as well is something I'm gentle with.

If you really want optical on your iPod, maybe you can hook up this ?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

I was under the impression that the IPOD tho it can take an uncompressed aiff... that it compressed it on the fly to 44.1 compressed and 2 channels only... while it spools it off to memory. If the Ipod could do 5.1 channel surround then yeah it'd be sweet to have an optical out.

Your Reciever could decode the 5.1 sound info from the data from the ipod.

However i don't see the point of 5.1 coming from ipod

on another note Someone needs to make a nice iPod dock tahts integrated into a nice highend reciever or something
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Does anyone actually download uncompressed audio files that would even warrant high end audio? I mean, sure use the iPod to store high end uncompressed audio and then play it on your high end system, but, ah, why not just play the SACD or DVD-A on your high end system?

5.1 would be cool, but I don't see the iPod as a portable high end audio device.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    AAC also supports multi-channel sound and some receivers now decode AAC