Well, shipped off my white-spotted 15" PB

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
And I miss it already I didn't get to play with Panther yet, the CD came at the same time as the return box, and I decided to just send it off ASAP to get fixed. Back to using my old Compaq laptop... at least I can put iTunes on it now. That makes using Windows almost bearable.

Please send it back soon, Apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    might have been a bit premature to send it back now. from what i can tell, people are still getting them back and having problems develop.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

might have been a bit premature to send it back now. from what i can tell, people are still getting them back and having problems develop.

If it comes back with white spots, I am going to argue with them until they take it back and I'll buy a 17.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Got the computer back yesterday. Not only are the spots gone (hopefully for good) but the screen appears to be a higher quality than the old one. It is brighter and seems to have a little more color depth. I'm a happy camper except for the fact that the screen latch un-fixed itself.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    post again in 14 days and let me know if the spots are gone.

if so, you'll be the first one i've heard of who's gotten a repaired 15" and had it hold.

that will be great news for folks waiting on their PowerBook repairs.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    spykyspyky Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick DTM

Got the computer back yesterday. Not only are the spots gone (hopefully for good) but the screen appears to be a higher quality than the old one. It is brighter and seems to have a little more color depth. I'm a happy camper except for the fact that the screen latch un-fixed itself.

Mine took about 5 days for the spots to show up again (EDIT: this is after sending it in for the first repair), over the next 2 weeks they got progressively brighter. It's about as bad as it was when I originally sent it in, although they are smaller, and fewer. I'm going to resend in a few weeks.

Note: when my pb first arrived, the spots were invisible, it was only after a few days that they reappeared.

Not to dampen your spirits, but keep checking it, and please let us know if they reappear. Once I hear that PBs are coming back and still looking good after 2 weeks I will know that it is safe to send mine in.

-Spyky
  • Reply 6 of 29
    t9000t9000 Posts: 34member
    I have one that is on its way now. I hope I don't have any problems. I am gonna be one pissed off camper. This is my first apple purchase.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Yeah mine has them too. I am worried about sending it in. How long does it take? Is it only the new 15's?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    It's only the 15s. I sent mine on last Monday and got it back this Tuesday. It was too long, but at least I have it back now.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    to those who have a PB and are thinking of sending them in.

WAIT.

you will hear from members here or on other boards when repaired powerbooks make it past the 14 day mark. until then you're just taking your PB away from yourself for nothing.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Had it back a week, no white spots. Will keep everyone updated.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I have BTO 15" coming my way soon(combo drive instead of superdrive)

I really hope I don't get any problems, that would be such a bummer.

I'm using my friend tibook right now(1 ghz, superdrive, 512 ram..etc.) no white spots or dead pixels on this bad boy.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    sounds like some folks are having the repairs hold. hope you got one of the good ones.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Going on the second week, still no spots... you'll definitely hear it from me if they develop after this.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick DTM

Going on the second week, still no spots... you'll definitely hear it from me if they develop after this.

Good to hear. Mine lasted 5 days after first repair (more than a month ago). I wonder if you could tell me if you carry around your PB and in what kind of case? The Apple tech I just spoke with cautioned me about carrying it and putting pressure on the screen. I want to see what other people have been doing, particularly people without returning spots.

-Spyky
  • Reply 15 of 29
    It's a Powerbook, not crystal glass. You shouldn't have to bee cautious with how much pressure you put on it in a bag. I use a Brenthaven 15" bag built SPECIFICALLY for the 15" Powerbook, and I have the white spots. It has nothing to do with the pressure you put on the screen. If you Powerbook is in the affected batch, you will get them eventually. You shouldn't have to baby you book, I'm not saying sit on it, but you really shouldn't have to baby it.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

It's a Powerbook, not crystal glass.

quotation of the hour
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

It's a Powerbook, not crystal glass. You shouldn't have to bee cautious with how much pressure you put on it in a bag. I use a Brenthaven 15" bag built SPECIFICALLY for the 15" Powerbook, and I have the white spots. It has nothing to do with the pressure you put on the screen. If you Powerbook is in the affected batch, you will get them eventually. You shouldn't have to baby you book, I'm not saying sit on it, but you really shouldn't have to baby it.

Well said. For that reason, I love my 12" albook (rev. a). It's a trooper. Too bad about all these problems, though.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Oh, I agree entirely. I just want to find out if Apple was just blowing smoke when they implied that it was caused by pressure on the screen. What really worries me is that if they reappear after this repair Apple will start blaming me for putting pressure on the screen and not repair it anymore. I wasn't really pleased with the attitude of the tech I spoke with, who seemed to be suggesting that the spots appear because of such abuse, not due to some flaw with the PB.

Anyway, I guess I will see. Hopefully I will get the repair back in time, that I can still take it up with my credit card to get a refund if it is not repaired. I might switch to a 12" or 17".

-Spyky
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Third week - no spots. I am feeling good about it now.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    An unfortunate word of caution. The white spots on my powerbook took about a month to appear. They are very faint and I'm going to live with them until I know Apple has it licked. Waiting for the 4th week no spots post...