G5 iMac and Displays at the same time?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
There have been a lot of rumors about a G5 iMac coming out in Jan. or so, and many rumors about an update to the display line (much needed). is there any possibility that these are related? I read in another post that a cube form could be in line for the next iMac revision. possibly the displays are going to be the same and you can purchase it attached with the iMac or seperate for whatever y already have. Any thoughts on this possibility?

Macaddict16

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    As to your cube statement- I still have a hard time imagining a cube-based iMac all in one with a swing arm display. The iMac is at its essence an all in one. We went from a monitor above the computer unit to a separate lampshade arm attaching monitor on a round base. So the first imagine is making that round base square. Doesn't fit.

As to your other question, yea, I can see updates to the LCDs and iMac at one show. Apple doesn't do many shows anymore, so why hold off. Besides, G5(2) will be due feb-march sometime, might as well get some closer matching cases even if most of the specs stay the same.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    If you elimate the obvious, whatever remains...well you get the point. No, sorry, no G5 iMac in January. Based on the news articles I've read and information I have received, here is the lineup for January:

1.) New LCD housing for LCD Standalone monitors. Brushed steel motiff (sizes may or may not change, I assume all widescreens)

2.) Faster G4 iMac (with or without 8x AGP depending on channels at time of announcement)and L3 cache.

3.) New G5 Cube Power Macintosh, to fit with above mentioned LCD Standalone monitors. These will take the current G5 MHZ shape. Yes, hate to steal thunder but annivesary mac.

4.) New G5, no difference in looks of case to currently shipping, but faster processor and two dual flavors. i.e. One single 2.0, one dual 2.0, and one dual greater than 2.0.

5.) Same G4 Laptops, (ASSUMATION: Faster processors)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    1) Pretty safe. It'll probably be brushed aluminum, though.

2) Unless someone has pulled a rabbit out of a hat, there isn't much in the way of faster G4s than the 1.25GHz in there now, so this would have to be a fairly minor update. It's hard to believe they'd build an all-new iMac around the last gasp of the 754x series.

3) OK, another Cube rumor. Not implausible, since the PowerMac G4 has "placeholder" written all over it.

4) That would be the fastest PowerBook update since the WallStreet->PDQ update that corrected a fairly serious design flaw. And, again, the G4 doesn't really have all that far to go, unless Mot has a pleasant surprise for us all.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    You were too quick to crucify my quick itemization and didn't "read" what I wrote. It's okay, after all arrogance is the purest form of insecurity.... ;-P

1. Oops..you are correct aluminum, steel, titanium, uranium...same smell. My apologies.

2. No NEW iMac, 1.25 8x AGP (Possibly), and L3 Cache. Little or no change. Yes, it's very easy to believe to cut cost and offer at "more affordable" priced iMac.

3. Yes cube, yes cube, fit's in between the iMac and G5 Titans.

4. This was referring to the G5 tower silly, not the powerbooks. If you'll notice there is a 5. to that posting.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    no cube just headless mac...

cost cutting imac, thats greyish.. with white highlights

(possibly) I think it will have a plastic arm thats cheaper to manufacture

drop prices on LCDs (pray, pray real hard) and new bigger size.

Announcements for pro video cards please please
  • Reply 6 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bartonab

You were too quick to crucify my quick itemization and didn't "read" what I wrote. It's okay, after all arrogance is the purest form of insecurity.... ;-P

And defensiveness is its sword and shield.

I only commented on your statements, which is after all what we're all here for. If you can't take criticism of your points you're going to have a rough time here. People have opinions all over the map, and they pick apart everything. That's the fun of it.

Believe me, if I do decide to crucify you, you'll know it.

Quote:

2. No NEW iMac, 1.25 8x AGP (Possibly), and L3 Cache. Little or no change. Yes, it's very easy to believe to cut cost and offer at "more affordable" priced iMac.

3. Yes cube, yes cube, fit's in between the iMac and G5 Titans.

4. This was referring to the G5 tower silly, not the powerbooks. If you'll notice there is a 5. to that posting.

A price-repositioned iMac I can believe. I was melding your speculation with AppleInsider's, perhaps inappropriately.

I wasn't pessimistic about the Cube. I own one. I know their appeal if they're done right. I was merely pointing out that yours was one more among many - which is not a bad thing, rumor-wise. You want at least two independent sources to confirm a rumor before you can have any confidence in it.

I did misnumber the last entry. Silly mistake indeed. Still, my point stands: That'll be the fastest PowerBook revision since they had to rush one out the door PDQ in 1998. Which is not to say that it's impossible, only that it's unprecedented.