20" iMac Tomorrow?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 128
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Depending on education pricing after tomorrow, a G5 might be a possibility in the near future.
  • Reply 62 of 128
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member

With a little help from GraphicConverter, I scaled the iMac's screen up to a 20". It's not that outlandishly large, really.
  • Reply 63 of 128
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    If that pic is to scale, I would say the base is finally in proportion to the screen visually. (Especially if you cut down on the white perimeter.)

I would still rather see a faster more inexpensive iMac. Maybe the 20" will drive down the cost of an upgraded 17". Come on Apple, give us a faster bus!

Or give us the headless iMac with a 20" screen combo!
  • Reply 64 of 128
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    It really seems they'd want to reduce the bevel a bit though if they were going for the 20" iMac.
  • Reply 65 of 128
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what about including speakers in the display kind of rap around system? i saw a cool screen at target a designer series that was a central screen surrounded by dimpled edges and including speakers, the question will the movable arm stay, and if so, then the base could be low slim and nearly invisible. or just a screen that contained the entire computer, being up in the air would improve cooling, put the superdrive verticle
  • Reply 66 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

AI Second Page weighs in with more confirmation:

AppleInsider received several pieces of information over the weekend that stated Apple would release a 20" iMac and dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 on November 18th. The information was not published and assumed to be part of a misinformation campaign due to a lack of confirmation. However, numerous media outlets are now confirming similar tips as authentic.

According to two anonymous reports, Apple retailers in the north east had received shipments of both dual 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5s and a new 20" iMac as of early this morning. A third 'mystery' product, priced at $749 USD, was said to be unknown and rumored to be either a wide-screen 17" display or possibly a reduced price on the 20" Apple Cinema Display.

The 20" iMac is said to included a 1.25GHz G4 processor and the 1.6GHz Power Mac G5 is to see a "significant reduction in price," according to the information.

$749 seems too much for a wide screen 17" LCD monitor at todays prices, and too little for a 20" monitor based on current prices of 18-20" monitors. I hope that Apple reads the market well enough to know that, if not then they need to fire some people in the marketing division.

Personal opinion, Apple needs another high priced AIO like I need another hole in my head. I seriously doubt that they could sell one at the price of the current high end price, at least to consumers on a large scale. Also, having a monitor that large on the iMac would run the risk of eroding the low end PowerMac sales because the screen would be large enough for efficient use in a DTP production environment. The timing of such a release in conjunction with a release of a new PM speed would be counter productive to the sales of the (typically) higher margin PM's, and cut into Apples bottom line.

I realize that Apple is possibly shifting focus in the short term from "switchers" but in my opinion they need to better address the lower end of their product matrix to address the needs of consumers and businesses that they are not meeting, and therefore are not competing for business, with their current products. Another high end iMac does not do this, neither does another over priced monitor. A dual 1.8 Ghz PM addresses some professional needs, and could pick up PM sales if Apple were to reduce the pricing of the single processor G5's at the same time. As many before have said, what Apple really needs is a lower cost consumer desktop, not an AIO and not last years towers. They might also benefit from higher speed G4's in the iMac, after all the 7457 is now out with speeds of at least 1.4 Ghz (PowerLogix Cube upgrade uses this) so there is no excuse for Apple not shipping an iMac with this chip in it given that the price (in quantity) of the new chip on the smaller process should be close to if not less than the 7455 chips at a comperable speed and the fact that the 7455 is pin compatible with the 7455. I would also expect that Apple would have access to 7455 chips of at least 1.6 ghz given their relationship with Motorolla.
  • Reply 67 of 128
    Maybe something like this:

- Drop 15" iMac

- (current) 17" SuperDrive for $1399-$1499

- New single 1.25GHz G4 w/20" display for $1999

- New dual 1.25GHz G4 w/20" display for $2499
  • Reply 68 of 128
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't like that lineup. Raising the price on the low end when it desperately needs to come down below $1000 for the first time since the iMac2's introduction? That's a really dumb idea. If Apple's dropping the price on the 20" Cinema, they'll also (hopefully) keep the price the same for the 20" iMacs. It absolutely should not go over $2000, and $1800 is already too much (but reasonable with a screen bump this significant). So... $1800 for the 20" Superdrive, $1300 for the 17" Superdrive, and $1000 for the 17" Combo drive. That would be much better than the current lineup, although replacing the eMac with a $800 15" Combo version would be nice too.
  • Reply 69 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Maybe something like this:

- Drop 15" iMac

Apple needs a lower priced computer for the holiday season, not a more expensive one, and dual G4's in an iMac? Now that is wishfull thinking, and again would cut in too much into sales of low end PM's to professional users.
  • Reply 70 of 128
    I am hoping that if there is a 20" iMac tomorrow it is with a 1.6GHz 970, there really is no heat issue when compared to the G4 at these speeds. The heat issue is a smokescreen while Apple readies new products for release. They want us to believe that 970 based iMac's and Powerbooks are far off, so don't stop buying iMacs or Powerbooks. They need the surprise factor in order to protect their sales. 3-6 months of consumers holding off purchases can be devastating. They have done a good job of managing expectations thus far.

Let me tell you a secret. The 970 is less expensive than a G4, IBM gets better yields per Wafer and IBM is pricing the chips to convert Apple's entire line to them. Apple wants to cut their costs if they are going to have to compete on price as well. Apple wants to surprise us with the 64-bit consumer line. Maybe for this reason I doubt they will ship a 970 iMac unless they are ready to convert the entire iMac and Powerbook line, in order not to kill sales as expectations will cause buyers to hold off on smaller iMacs and of course on Powerbooks since it would appear Powerbook G5's were imminent.

So, I guess I talked myself into believing a G4 iMac will be released imminently and we'll have to wait for San Francisco for the next round of rumors. Though I don't understand why they wouldn't use the 1.33 7447 G4 or by now a higher speed of 1.4GHz.

What about the surprise product? Here is my Guess, a 17" TFT iMac for 749, DVD-ROM drive, Optional combo drive. The end of the eMac as we currently know it.

I also think the new high end G5 will be a dual 2.2 GHz G5 which is the current U3 ASIC's limit, then a dual 2 GHz and a single 1.8 GHz with similar to the current will become the low-end. I think the 1.6 GHz has simply not been selling and Apple is taking this as a clue as to what the pro market wants.
  • Reply 71 of 128
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    With all those rumours of a newly designed iMac due in January, this 20 incher sounds very plausible. While I'm still not completely buying any new design for another 6 months, a larger screen certainly extends the shelf life of the current model.

The bigger question is cost. If this is not priced somewhat aggressively, it could just end up being a white elephant.

Hmm...does anyone think Apple could sell the current 17" starting at the 15" price of $1299? That might be a bit of a stretch...probably more like $1499.
  • Reply 72 of 128
    If that mystery item is a new 17" screen I wonder if will be the first of the rumored new form factor to match the G5?

Jason
  • Reply 73 of 128
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Maybe. Actually, that might be part of tomorrow too: new displays? Perhaps announced (with the 17" available immediately) and the others trickling in over the coming weeks?

It's not unheard of for Apple to announce/unveil something and then not actually SHIP them for weeks to come (sometimes MONTHS).

Just a thought...

In any case, I'd just about bet the farm - and everything on it - that any new displays from Apple will indeed match the styling of the G5 and PowerBooks (in other words, aluminum and straighter lines).

Tomorrow should be interesting, just to see.
  • Reply 74 of 128
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

- Drop 15" iMac

If the rumor is true, my guess at a new lineup:

15" iMac = $1099 with current specs

17" iMac = $1599 with current specs

20" iMac = $2099 with current 17" specs

iMacs won't ever get duals, IMO.
  • Reply 75 of 128
    I think it would be nice to see a faster processor and possibly the newer graphics cards... Built in bluetooth as standard but at reduced cost would be a nice move for me.

Jason
  • Reply 76 of 128
    resres Posts: 711member
    The price/performance ratio of the iMac compared to PCs is worse than it ever has been before. The iMac is just too slow when compared to PCs that cost hundreds of dollars less. A larger screen iMac is not a bad thing, but they need to make the iMac more powerful. A 20" 2GHz G5 iMac would be a pretty tempting machine right now.
  • Reply 77 of 128
    For the G4 to be equal with the P4 it needs to be at .6 the speed. That means between 1.8 and 1.9 GHz for the top end G4. Apple needs to make a quick change to 970's and move beyond 2GHz. Leave the G4 for the iBooks and eMacs.
  • Reply 78 of 128
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

Leave the G4 for the iBooks and eMacs.

... [sigh] and don't forget the PowerBooks
  • Reply 79 of 128
    Perhaps the $749 "mystery item" is in fact the 15" iMac?

Perhaps

Perhaps not

\
  • Reply 80 of 128
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member

This is an iMac with the same size panel as the 20" Cinema Display.

PH34R

Another Barto? Photochop