20" iMac Is Here!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 177
    And Dual 1.8 Powermac G5, replacing the Single 1.8 - 2499
  • Reply 2 of 177
    You beat me to it. Good thing I did not press post topic. But $2199!!??
  • Reply 3 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by PizzaBoy

Now THAT is exciting! I just hope they get rid of the 1.6 soon...
  • Reply 4 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by PizzaBoy

There's a separate thread for this. Please post there.
  • Reply 5 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

You beat me to it. Good thing I did not press post topic. But $2199!!??

And a 64Mb GeForce FX...
  • Reply 6 of 177
    LCD prices have been going up recently. Apple said so in the analyst conference call earlier.
  • Reply 7 of 177
    What's the resolution? Couldn't find it on the site.
  • Reply 8 of 177
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

What's the resolution? Couldn't find it on the site.

1680x1050, just like the 20" ACD.
  • Reply 9 of 177
    It's 1680x1050. What the hell.

Eugene dude, you have 1680x1080 there before. I blame you for making me look stupid in FH.

(not that it's hard)
  • Reply 10 of 177
    1999 if you are education...not bad....still might wait for the g5 imac or cube or whatever it will be in jan...

g
  • Reply 11 of 177
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Boring and misguided. Most potential iMac buyers do not need a 20" screen. I hope that this is not the extent of the iMac update. What the iMac actually needs in the short-term is lower prices and a faster processor. What it needs in the long-term is a rethink of its design. There have been several threads recently that have made some interesting suggestions .
  • Reply 12 of 177
    Obviously this is the extent of the iMac update for the Holiday season. But based on previous modest updates in the past there should be no doubt that a new form factor iMac is in the wings for next year. If Apple is waiting for a suitable G5 processor with less heat output then we're looking at a Spring time table as samples of the new 970 are due in April at the earliest according to IBM. I believe the price of the 20 inch is the same as when the 15 inch was introduced?
  • Reply 13 of 177
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    No, the 15" introduced in January 2002 was $1799. I think it jumped up briefly to $1899 (the day AFTER I bought mine in March 2002).

• Reply 14 of 177
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    They would do better with the iMac for the holiday season if they used Chinney's post. While the 20" may create a slight wow factor, the price represents the most expensive iMac to date.

Why didn't the 17" get a more aggressive reduction? I keep waiting on the iMac but it is stuck in a holding pattern. Additionally this puts a plug on the eMac which confuses that portion of their lineup all the more.
  • Reply 15 of 177
    People here have been clamoring for a 20" iMac almost since the day the original was introduced. Now that it is here, with Panther, the iApps a Superdrive, etc. and with better specs then the original 15 or 17 inchers, there's negativism from some. To many, Apple can never do anything right. And to that, I quote E.S. "Bah, Humbug!" to you. Happy Holidays.
  • Reply 16 of 177
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

1999 if you are education...not bad....still might wait for the g5 imac or cube or whatever it will be in jan...

g

G5 powemac dual 2.5Ghz you mean?
  • Reply 17 of 177
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    2199!

A 20" screen is very nice, but the rest of the iMac is in no way worth 899-999, and that's being generous, to the display side of the equation by giving it full retail value. This integrated package is a "bundle" and traditionally a bundle comes with some "savings" on the display or computer or both. This is a 1999 machine, tops. The big display does, however, mitigate spanning concerns for the most part.

I would say Apple is a little confused here. Wasn't the iMac supposed to be the computer for the masses? I don't see too many masses with 2199 to spend on an AIO, luscious screen or not, and the pro, well, this isn't really for them either, though some 2-d designers will be thrilled.

At least the PM's are moving in the right direction!
  • Reply 18 of 177
    Apple rolls out new Macs ahead of holiday season

Tuesday November 18, 8:31 am ET

By Duncan Martell

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 18 (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. (NasdaqNM:AAPL - News) on Tuesday unveiled an iMac computer with a 20-inch flat-panel screen and introduced a new model of its Power Mac G5 desktop computer with dual microprocessors as the iconic computer maker gears up for the holiday selling season.

The popular iMac with a 15-inch display was a hit with Apple fans and consumers when it was introduced in January 2002, with its flat-panel monitor appearing to hover above the dome-like base. Apple followed up last holiday season with an iMac boasting a 17-inch monitor.

"We did better than we had expected" with the 17-inch iMac. Phil Schiller, head of marketing for Apple, said in a telephone interview. "There is a high-end market at the holidays."

The iMac is now available with displays of 15, 17 or 20 inches, measured from corner to corner, and starts at $1,299.

Tim Bajarin, president of market research firm Creative Strategies, based in Campbell, California, said, "The price is highly competitive if you look at the power of the system and going out and buying a 20-inch monitor separately."

The new Power Mac G5, with processors that have a clock speed of 1.8 gigahertz, replaces the single-processor 1.8 gigahertz G5, and starts at $2,499. Apple also cut the price of the single-processor 1.6 gigahertz G5 by $200, to $1,799.

Apple first rolled out the dual-processor G5 in June, with processors running at 2.0 gigahertz. The dual-chip machines are targeted at video and audio editing, publishing and advertising markets, which have long been key segments for Apple.

The G5 uses a chip made by International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM - News), and can manage 64 bits of data at once, compared to 32 bits for home computers using chips from Intel Corp. and Advanced Micro Devices Inc., for example. Apple's 32-bit chip is its G4 processor.

Schiller said that he has seen some signs that its professional customers are preparing to upgrade systems that are now three or more years old.

"As the economy is looking a teensy bit better, I'm hearing people saying maybe it's time to upgrade," Schiller said.

Apple had strong sales of the G5 in its most recent quarter, shipping 221,000 units, which it said was "substantially" above the prior quarter.

Apple also rolled out versions of its professional software programs Final Cut Pro 4, Shake 3, and DVD Studio Pro 2 that have been optimized for the 64-bit G5 processor and the latest version of Mac OS X, which is called Panther.

"If you're a graphics professional, you're going to be very pleased with any of those tools," Bajarin said.
  • Reply 19 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I would say Apple is a little confused here. Wasn't the iMac supposed to be the computer for the masses? I don't see too many masses with 2199 to spend on an AIO, luscious screen or not, and the pro, well, this isn't really for them either, though some 2-d designers will be thrilled.

Oh my God, I agree with Matsu on a pricing rant!

Apple did warn recently that LCD prices were heading up, but I still think this is a quick, fast move to goose iMac sales in the short term. They'd have done better to drop the whole line $200. There's a $500 price difference between the combo eMac and the 15-inch iMac, and that's way too much of a penalty just for the LCD.

That being said, the very FIRST person I showed this to said "That's exactly what I want! A 20-inch screen is perfect!" So who knows?
  • Reply 20 of 177
    A 20" display on the iMac is a big waste. My current monitor has lasted 5 years, so far, and is attached to it's third computer. In a couple of years when that iMac starts feeling really slow, that 20" is stuck on there.