Your favorite applications....

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I am curious about the applications you guys use to enhance your mac, or anything pretty much that is written for free, or from versiontracker etc. Guess I will start out.

1 - I use Dockless for TheMissingSync for PocketPC so I can have it open, but it does not appear anywhere.

2 - VNCThing works great at least for me to, well, VNC to my other computers.

3 - Transparent Dock to move my dock to the bottom right and to remove the background.

4 - LameBrain to encode mp3's. Works great.

5 - MacAmp Lite X. It is free now and if I want something to not be added to my iTunes library, I use this. (I wish iTunes had a 2nd default playlist for when you open up a song file so it isn't added to your library, but that is a different topic alltogether)

6 - (edit) Just started using iCar. It lets me do auto responding. (Come on Apple, add this in already!)

That is all I can think of at the moment, but if I think of more I will post here. What are some things you guys use? Thanks!

-Jeremiah

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Wow, that's one of the more obscure "favorite" lists I've seen. Some of them I've never even heard of. That's an accomplishment

My list, from a similar thread a while back, edited to be Panther friendly and more reflective of my current usage:

Launchbar - open any file/url/address/application without having to navigate to it.

WeatherPop Advance - Took over for Meteorologist which has all but died.

OmniOutliner - A great app for outlining and brainstorming. I love it. Use it with OmniGraffle for some great diagraming fun.

OmniGraffle - The best diagraming application I've ever seen. Combine it with OmniOutliner and you never have to have a loose argument again!

Art Director's Toolkit - I never knew I needed this app until I used it. It does all sorts of things that you could do on your own, but it makes it way easier. Essential for web design (IMHO).

Fink Commander - If you want to use Fink, you have to use this. It gets rid of all that apt-get/dselect madness.

RAqua - An OS X front-end for the R stat programming language. Free and powerful as hell.

SubEthaEdit - Free texteditor with syntax coloring and a whole slew of other cool features.

CSSEdit - A great shareware CSS editor. It makes my life so much easier.

Transmit - The best FTP app out there.

Can you tell I've been doing a lot of code work lately?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Nice list. I am gonna look into Transmit.. I currently use Fetch, but it annoys me at times. I realized I also use-

1 - Share My Desktop for a VNC server. It runs as a system service, so it is much better in my opinion than always having to have a program open.

2 - CocoaMysql is a great utility for managing mysql databases. It is still a bit buggy, but very very promising.

3 - DnsUpdate I use to give my computer a *.dyndns.org address. It updates it whenever my static ip changes, and runs as a process, but not in the dock.

I think that is all for now...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Trasnsmit is a good FTP program but it is not free. It is a trial software thing. At least the one I used to use was. I now use RBrowserLite which is free and pretty good. Especially if you used CuteFTP on PC before.

These are what I use and are a little more common. You can search for these on MacUpdate.com of versiontracker.com:

MenuMeters- Good & simple stat program for Disk, Processor, Network, and ram

Barware- Mix like a pro, just not all on the same night

Video Viewer- Watch firewire video on your computer. Through a DV camera or video bridge

Brickhouse- Great simple firewall config utility

OnyX- OS X Maintenance and hidden option config

OnMyComand- Gives you costomizable Contextual Menus for OS X

PeripheralVision- (Get an old version) Though not free, is a great troubleshooting utility when something is not working.

Whitecap- Visual plugin for iTunes and other apps. (2 of my configs were accepted. See if you can spot them.)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Thanks for the OnMyCommand link! I am wanting to make a contexual menu actually that makes a new text file. (I get tired of copy and paste to make a new one) So I guess I will dig into that tomorrow or something. Too bad it's not easier, but it looks quite powerful. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Right after I posted my list, I remembered that I've been using CocoaMySQL a lot lately. It IS very promising and it's nearly replaced phpmyadmin for me.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i love iComic
  • Reply 7 of 15
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    For app and project management, I'm addicted to DragThing .
  • Reply 8 of 15
    PTH iTunes Notifier - Sweet app. I love it, can't live without it now.

Konfabulator - I'm lovin the widgets. Also a great app. I use the internal temp monitor, a weather widget, and one that tells how much data is in the trash (I miss that from previous OS versions)

Meterologist - Even though it is dead, still a great app.

I think thats it. It's late and I don't remember, I'll edit if I find more.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i love iComic

Great!

Thanks alcimedes
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

PTH iTunes Notifier - Sweet app. I love it, can't live without it now.

Konfabulator - I'm lovin the widgets. Also a great app. I use the internal temp monitor, a weather widget, and one that tells how much data is in the trash (I miss that from previous OS versions)

Meterologist - Even though it is dead, still a great app.

I think thats it. It's late and I don't remember, I'll edit if I find more.

Could you post some links to PTH iTunes Notifier & Meterologist apps please? TIA

(too lazy to google them up right now)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    After doing 2 big presentations in the past two weeks, Keynote has shot way to the top of the list. It's great.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    D-Vision 2: allow convert all mpeg 2 files to Xvidz

Poision: great peer to peer intergration

Mplayer OS X 2: Play all Xvidz

VLC: alternative video playback tool, in charge .cue tasks on my laptop.

iVisit: real multi-party video audio solution, , and it is cross platform.

Fire: throw laggy msn away

Launchbar: reduce diffusive dock

Synergy: great extension goes with iTune

WeatherPop: weather forecast

Toast: burn your own bread

Pixadex: icon gathering

Candybar: system icon replacing app

gBrowser: must-have picture browsering tool, even has small compatiblity problem with Panther, but I still prefer him rather than a slow iPhoto.

GCam: record with ya webcam, have some fun with it.

Freesnap: snap at ease.

Atomix Dojam X SC: free english-chinese, chinese-english dictionary.

Those are mentioned here, should every mac nuts ownz.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Photoretouche pro 3 : for colour correction. Actually prefer this over Photoshop

Launchbar : be lost without it

Freeway Pro : my favourite web design program. It's mac only guys!!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Adobe Illustrator, iTunes, Sherlock. The three I use most often, anyway.

Not much of a "third party shareware app/utility" kinda guy. I dig my OS and environs fairly pure and stock.

I find I have few problems that way.

But I do dig Konfabulator a bit, even though I could easily live without it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I don't know what I'd do without the Finder (and don't say Pathfinder, I tried that today, it sucks)

And the Terminal is always fun