20" iMac Is Here!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 177
    Geez, after all these years some of you people are still ranting about how "overpriced" Apple computers are! For what you get in an iMac, you can get the same specs in a Dell or Gateway and the price will be slightly higher. Want a cheaper Apple computer, then buy an eMac. Apple never proclaimed that the iMac was for the "masses". Stop making up things like that. Apple is doing fine. They are profitable, leading the industry in innovation and are going to have a great Holiday selling season.
  • Reply 22 of 177
    I really thought the "Apple's are too expensive" meme had died out. You can't even use it on slashdot these days without being barraged with links to equally spec'ed (yet butt-ugly) Dell machines that cost just slightly more. (Which is a change from a couple of years ago when some idiot would always post about how he could self-assemble some overclocked piece-of-shit for half the price).
  • Reply 23 of 177
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Boring and misguided. Most potential iMac buyers do not need a 20" screen. I hope that this is not the extent of the iMac update.

The iMac is not a "need" computer, it's a "want" computer. Most people want big screens even if they don't need them.
  • Reply 24 of 177
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Isn't going Apple to refresh soon the displays too? I think that after that (in January perhaps?) we may see price drops accross the iMac line. The sad in the new 20" iMac is that the G4 is not updated and still has 256 KB L2 cache.
  • Reply 25 of 177
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

. Apple never proclaimed that the iMac was for the "masses".

Huh?

This is (or used to be) their primary consumer desktop machine. The emac is only there because people bitched that it shouldn't be available only to the education market.

Apple has placed the iMac in a very confusing situation ever since. This doesn't make it any less so.

Sure a 20" screen is nice and yes, people have been screaming for one for a long time. Apple's usual pricing scheme is to place the new upper tier model at the old upper tier price point isn't it? (Or did they do this the last time they came out with the 17" and superdrive?)

I think people have been complaining more about the price point of the iMac and its performance more than the large screen format. Bus speed is same. Speed is the same. Price same and higher.
  • Reply 26 of 177
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Folks, the 20 inch iMac is not an intro all for the masses machine. They should buy the 15 inch iMac.

Having said that, I think that the current lineup doesn't look that good. The specs of the machines in all the other areas are looking rather pathetic. Only 256MB RAM? I guess Apple has a hard time adding better features when some components go up in cost (the LCD for example).

And as for you who think that the current design is a waste, get a life. People like the current design quite a bit and don't have the same slavish fanatacism for a cube redux. Sure, your LCD is attached to your iMac, but the machine has a 3-4 year usable lifetime and by the time it is time to buy a new machine, you will probably have outgrown your 20 inch screen and find yourself wanting a 35 inch screen (then again, endlessly increasing screen size needs to end somewhere, doesn't it?). The iMac's current form factor is excellent, they just need to work on the price/performance ratio.

People have been complaining about the high price of the whole iMac lineup ever since the iMac lineup went LCD.
  • Reply 27 of 177
    Like it or not, the eMac has become Apple's budget computer. The iMac is a luxury item for those who can afford frills. Fortunately for Apple, the adjustable LCD display helps sell them.
  • Reply 28 of 177
    Apple's iMac pricing is not what it should be. I loved my 15" LCD iMac, and it was well priced when it rolled off the line two years ago, but the machines have not fallen in price as they should. They are out of line with industry pricing trends. Each of the iMac models should have about $200 knocked off it's current price -- $300 for the 15" LCD model.

I love the new iMacs and their look, but they are woefully underpowered machines for the price points they command. Slow processors, slow buses, and beautiful displays should not add up to $1,300 to $2,200 computers.

At the very least, if Apple's going to charge those prices, they should include built in AirPort and Bluetooth.

The new G5 pricing, on the other hand, is very nice, particularly the lower price for the entry-level G5.
  • Reply 29 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

People have been complaining about the high price of the whole iMac lineup ever since the iMac lineup went LCD.

I thought the original lineup was a good deal at the time. A 15-inch LCD G4 with a SuperDrive was a lot of machine for $1,799.
  • Reply 30 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Boring and misguided. Most potential iMac buyers do not need a 20" screen. I hope that this is not the extent of the iMac update. What the iMac actually needs in the short-term is lower prices and a faster processor. What it needs in the long-term is a rethink of its design. There have been several threads recently that have made some interesting suggestions .

Who "needs" an iMac?? It's being sold to people w/ $3000 to spend immediately (to go along w/ iPod, digital camera/video purchase) and want a computer w/o all the hassle of shopping for a monitor and finding room for a tower and monitor. If Apple was about getting cheap computers to the masses then they wouldn't have stores in Tysons Corner or Clarendon,VA (umm, no broke people shop/live around there)

The masses they speak of are the ones (believe it or not) who want to use computers but don't know much/want to learn about them. And that's a luxury people will pay for. That extra $$ pays for iLife updates and research that Apple has the luxury to do that other companies don't.

Kinda like tipping your fav bartender...afterall , you could be at home drinking the High life or spending extra enjoying it w/ friends at the pub...
  • Reply 31 of 177
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Consumers can still get a 15 or 17" iMac for a fairly reasonable price. The 20"er is for geeks like us who don't want to spend all the money on a PM G4 AND 20" display but want a lot of screen real estate.

Yeah, in a lot of ways it's overkill. Hell, the damn thing almost looks like it's going to tip over with that monstrosity on it, but it's also as sexy as a 36DD Playboy Bunny -- even just as top-heavy.
  • Reply 32 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Folks, the 20 inch iMac is not an intro all for the masses machine. They should buy the 15 inch iMac. . . .

*SNIP*

. . . People have been complaining about the high price of the whole iMac lineup ever since the iMac lineup went LCD.

So why is the 15" $1299 instead of $999 or at least $1049 new? Sure you can pick up a refub for 1K, but a "used" computer is a HUGE psychological barrier to most consumers.

Apple can't tell me that they couldn't sell the iMacs $100-200 cheaper.
  • Reply 33 of 177
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Geez, after all these years some of you people are still ranting about how "overpriced" Apple computers are! For what you get in an iMac, you can get the same specs in a Dell or Gateway and the price will be slightly higher. Want a cheaper Apple computer, then buy an eMac. Apple never proclaimed that the iMac was for the "masses". Stop making up things like that. Apple is doing fine. They are profitable, leading the industry in innovation and are going to have a great Holiday selling season.

you should stick to just quoting press releases cuz when you speak for yourself you make no sense.
  • Reply 34 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

The iMac is not a "need" computer, it's a "want" computer. Most people want big screens even if they don't need them.

People can be so 'big headed'.
  • Reply 35 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Apple's iMac pricing is not what it should be. I loved my 15" LCD iMac, and it was well priced when it rolled off the line two years ago, but the machines have not fallen in price as they should. They are out of line with industry pricing trends. Each of the iMac models should have about $200 knocked off it's current price -- $300 for the 15" LCD model.

I love the new iMacs and their look, but they are woefully underpowered machines for the price points they command. Slow processors, slow buses, and beautiful displays should not add up to $1,300 to $2,200 computers.

At the very least, if Apple's going to charge those prices, they should include built in AirPort and Bluetooth.

The new G5 pricing, on the other hand, is very nice, particularly the lower price for the entry-level G5.

I don't disagree with you about iMac pricing. What's so great about the low end G5 pricing? I suppose the expandability is what make you say it's a good deal, but compare it to an iMac which comes with a display and I think the G5 is overpriced too.
  • Reply 36 of 177
    Apple desktop Pricepoints

800 eMac

1100 eMac

1300 iMac 15

1800 iMac 17

2200 iMac 20

2500 G5 1.6 w/ 17 inch studio display

3200 G5 1.8x2 w/ 17 inch studio display

3700 G5 2.0x2 w/ 17 inch studio display

its a pretty nice smooth price ramp. I do think they could really increase Switches with a $300 across teh board cut so the eMac starts at 500, iMac at 1000 and G5 w/o screen 1500.
  • Reply 37 of 177
    I have to say, when I think of the iMac, I primarily think of it looking good in my house. That's got to be the main rationale behind their marketing.

For performance I'd definately rather go with a powermac, but something about the iMac would fit just perfectly on the breakfast bar in our kitchen. Combine it with a TV reciever (el gato for now, but preferably some HDTV thing in the future) and it becomes the center of our world. Serving video for breakfast, recipies for my wife, and learning games for my kids.

It just looks so damn good! Wish I had the money to make such an asthetic choice.
  • Reply 38 of 177
    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

15-inch iMac: 21.2 pounds

17-inch iMac: 22.8 pounds

20-inch iMac: 40.1 pounds

That weight gain can't be all screen. Maybe they had to make the base heavier to help counterbalance it?
  • Reply 39 of 177
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

15-inch iMac: 21.2 pounds

17-inch iMac: 22.8 pounds

20-inch iMac: 40.1 pounds

That weight gain can't be all screen. Maybe they had to make the base heavier to help counterbalance it?

certainly would seem so
  • Reply 40 of 177
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

Methinks they probably also "tightened" the arm on the unit to compensate for the 20"er's weight. It probably moves as smoothly as the other two sizes, but the insides of it have more tensioning.