So what was the $749 "mystery product"?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Mentioned by Think Secret and this site also, I believe.

Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    Yes, frankly that was the thing I was most excited about in this rumor. . . . hmm. . . .
  • Reply 2 of 90
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The color newton with built in 1.8" HDD? oops, I didn't say that!
  • Reply 3 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

The color newton with built in 1.8" HDD? oops, I didn't say that!

How many times do you have to hit refresh to get the front page to show that?
  • Reply 4 of 90
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I believe it is a white, plastic jack connected to a new, chrome-framed squat.

Screed
  • Reply 5 of 90
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Does it have FireWire?
  • Reply 6 of 90
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Well, the 17" Studio Display is $699. I don't know if that's new...
  • Reply 7 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Well, the 17" Studio Display is $699. I don't know if that's new...

Nope, it has been at that price for months....

Sorry.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    A Special Edition Steve Doll?
  • Reply 9 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

...with a 1.8" HD.

• Reply 10 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

I was thinking with the Special Edition mock Black Turtleneck.

• Reply 11 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

...with a 1.8" HD.

Altivec enhanced of course!

So that it is Snappy?!
  • Reply 12 of 90
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Curufinwe

Yes, frankly that was the thing I was most excited about in this rumor. . . . hmm. . . .

Yeah - same here! ... still wondering ...
  • Reply 13 of 90
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    it has to be a price drop for the 20" display or a 17" widescreen display
  • Reply 14 of 90
    It's coming to a special event at all Apple Stores on November 28. It's a tablet.... (no not what you're thinking. It's free alka seltzer for all those who overdosed on Turkey).
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

it has to be a price drop for the 20" display or a 17" widescreen display

These seem doubtful to me for three reasons:

1. Current 17" display is $699. Raise the price and make it widescreen? Nah. Just Widescreen at the same price, possibly a skosh lower.

2. Current 20" display is $1399. Drop the price by almost 50%? So unlike Apple.

3. Neither of these is exactly a "mystery device".

The specific pricing ("$749") makes it really intriging. Not like the vague "some device under $1000".

I doubt tablet. These are not currently selling well. However, if Apple refashioned "tablet/PDA" in some manner. That's (currently) cheap for a tablet, but pricey for a PDA.

It's also quite pricey for a DVR (digital video recorder).

Uh oh...wait a second...

$749 for a new, revised "Cube"? iCube? The new iMac recently rumored? Pricing seems about right for Apple. That plus $700 for a 17" display and you have a $1450 machine.

Hmmm...
  • Reply 16 of 90
    There is a nother possibility...

Camera (still or DV)
  • Reply 17 of 90
    Well, for $749 it had BETTER be DV (as opposed to still). Who in the world would pay nearly $800 for a digital camera (not talking about pros and the like folks...I'm talking about your typical family/consumer/hobbyist/student/grandmother here).

Actually, none of Apple's stuff is priced like this (the "*49")...isn't all their hardware "*99"? Yeah, on some of the education discounts you can get to that "$*49" or "$*69".

But unless I'm just way off here, all of Apple's hardware seems to be $499, $1099, $2499, etc.

So this mystery device...who knows. Don't know where the "sources" got this price figure. But I'll bet when/if it appears, it'll be either $699 or $799.

[Edit: okay, I stand corrected: the iSight and the modem/antenna AirPort Extreme Base Station go for $149 and $249 respectively...but on lower-priced items like that - sub $300 - they probably can't/shouldn't round it to the nearest hundred. But from the $299 iPod on up, it's all *99]
  • Reply 18 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Well, for $749 it had BETTER be DV (as opposed to still). Who in the world would pay nearly $800 for a digital camera (not talking about pros and the like folks...I'm talking about your typical family/consumer/hobbyist/student/grandmother here).

Lots o' folks.

But still, I agree. It should be a DV camera.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    Bullcrap. Nobody I know is going to pay $749 for a still camera from Apple when they can get one from Canon, Sony, Olympus, Kodak, Nikon, etc. for 1/3 that!

Heck, I wouldn't pay that much for a still camera, no matter who it was from!

A nice DV one with some special Apple finesse/added touches? Sure...probably.

I think the consumer digital camera buyer is hovering between that $300-$500 mark (and that $500 is on the HIGH end...).

My Mom, to my utter shock, spent $499 on a Canon S45. It's nice and all, but for what she does, she could've bought the A60 or A70 and saved $100-150 and still got great results (she prints them off a nice HP inkjet or e-mails them to people).
  • Reply 20 of 90
    128 MB RAM uprgrade?