New Display Data: 7 - 10 days

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has not shipped a DVI -> ADC adapter for months with a scheduled ship date for "Early November" on the AppleStore.

Many, including myself, have taken this to be an indicator for new displays (aluminum motif) based upon ADC revB. I believe that this makes sense because of increased resolution capabilities and the ability to add USB 2.0 or Firewire to ADC. USB 2.0 is now standard on all pro machines, as is aluminum (but not on the display's).

A refresh to the industrial design of the display's is also the most long in the tooth of any apple hardare line.

The DVI -> ADC adapter is now listed to ship in "7 - 10 days" instead of "early November."

Here's my $0.02:

We will see G5 XServes & new aluminum display's roll out within the next two weeks. Should be a nice event.

8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease... I can't wait much longer for a new display. Thanks for the info, hope it's true!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Regarding the new ADC adapter, will there be any functional differences to it? The G5's work with the current ADC adapter, and the new ADC will have to work with the same computer. Or will it be just a new industrial design (aluminum instead of plastic)?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    speculation or actual info?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm not quite sure how you get from slow shipment of video adapters to G5 Xserves, but hey, this is Future Hardware.

The display line is up for a refresh, and Apple has demonstrated a willingness to update anything at any time. A refresh in a week or so would be perfect for holiday sales, and the displays are beginning to belly up to the limits of DVI's capabilities. Whether the bezels are aluminum is anyone's guess.

So it's pure speculation, but there's some merit to it.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I used to try and figure out future hardware announcements from shipping times, until I realised it's about as useful as reading tea-leaves.

\
  • Reply 6 of 29
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, as mentioned above, these displays are pretty much the oldest, most "same as they were years ago" products in Apple's hardware offering.

The towers are new, the PowerBooks too. The iPod got a wonderful makeover in April. The iBooks are new, as are the new wireless keyboard and mouse (yeah, they look the same, but...). Things are starting to point to even the LCD iMac to change its design in January, after only two years.

The displays have been due for an update/refresh/redesign for a LONG time. They were becoming a bit "old hat" during the final revs of the G4. But with the G5 and its total departure from rounded, glossy plastics, the Apple displays are looking REALLY out of whack these days!

Still gorgeous. Just in a "well, you looked really nice sitting beside my Quicksilver tower two years ago..." kind of way.

Sexy contemporary aluminum, to go with the G5 and the PowerBooks. More squared-off and less curvy. Less wasted space around the display. Side-to-side and up-and-down mobility of some sort. USB 2 hub. Integrated iSight mounting recess/notch/slit. Adjusted pricing. Wide 17" on the entry model.

Repeat as necessary...
  • Reply 7 of 29
    don't forget the long rumoured 30inch!
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Here is a pic that I grabbed from the AppleStore as I was putting an order together:

Anybody can verify the new ship dates if they would like. The indicator for me is of course the DVI -> ADC adapter.

And yes, this is just speculation on my part. Damn good speculation, but speculation all the same. I have no insider knowledge.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I think it is a good sign. Its not like the DVI adapter is hard to manufacture. However, Im hoping for something a bit better, no need for an adapter at all. Apple's displays are one of the few pro monitors that only support one input, manyh now support 3+ inputs. It would be fantastic to see them include KVM capabilities as well ( a couple of up stream usb ports ). Not only that, but an internal power supply ( or a space to snap one onto the monitor ).
  • Reply 10 of 29
    If they can bring the 20" Cinema Display down to $900, I'd be really happy. My CRT is starting to act funky after 5 years of steady use. I don't want to be forced to buy a display before the line gets refreshed.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    NEC / Mitsubishi just announced its next wave of LCDs for graphics pros. Similar configuration and prices to what Apple is likely to offer. I'm all over the 2080UX+ unless Apple offers a more compelling solution for a price that's within $100.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    as long as we are discussing resolutions... when will there be an update to PB resolutions...?

17" PB with a screen that can only display 1440x990?...pathetic...

not to mention the narrow viewing angles, low brightness etc...

regardless I still own one, primarily because of the Al enclosure and OSX..

how about some BTO options for the 15" and 17" PB's

(this will never happen, I know...)
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Those NEC monitors are not widescreen.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

NEC / Mitsubishi just announced its next wave of LCDs for graphics pros. Similar configuration and prices to what Apple is likely to offer. I'm all over the 2080UX+ unless Apple offers a more compelling solution for a price that's within $100.

ok i went to the site cause it sounded interesting, and those have got to be the ugliest lcd's i've EVER seen. its worth the extra bucks for apple...
  • Reply 15 of 29
    I was hearing that the ADC revision would have the following revisions...again this can be read as "should" be having these revisions.

>New form of Video Data Transfer, currently it is based on the DVI standard, which doesn't go farther than about 2000 pixels wide at 60 draws per second (60hz) (most have a max of 1600X1200 as their ceiling) From personal experience, my monitor(CRT) maxes out at 1900x1200 @ 60Hz using ADC.

-Rumors are that the new standard would allow more data, and far better resolutions using a transfer system based on FireWire.

>Updated Bus should include in this revision support for USB 2.0, as well as FireWire ports, as it is in the current ADC standard.

>I would hope the new standard is hot pluggable.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

>New form of Video Data Transfer, currently it is based on the DVI standard, which doesn't go farther than about 2000 pixels wide at 60 draws per second (60hz) (most have a max of 1600X1200 as their ceiling) From personal experience, my monitor(CRT) maxes out at 1900x1200 @ 60Hz using ADC.

-Rumors are that the new standard would allow more data, and far better resolutions using a transfer system based on FireWire.

Interesting, but wouldn't that mean the videocard would have to support firewire too? Afaik, no videocards made today have firewire output, they're all either DVI or analog, which would mean that any Mac owner that wants one of the new displays would also have to upgrade their vid card too. Do you really think Apple would do that? Or perhaps they'll add Firewire-based input to the new monitors in addition to standard DVI-based ADC...
  • Reply 17 of 29
    To support firewire Apple just needs to use a transmissions controller, just like manufacturers did in the early days of DVI ( and often still do ). The video chips can output a raw digital stream, which is then converted ( normally to DVI ) to whatever you want.

I dont think Apple will go it alone in this area, it is too expensive to develop and manufacture. Dont think that VESA arent working on an improved DVI interface, in the mean time, it is quite feasible to gang together more DVI interfaces to drive higher resolutions ( standard DVI is already 2 channels ). High monitors can accept up to 8 channels, but clumsily, through 4 cables. Id expect to see Apple add 1 or 2 extra channels to ADC rather than use firewire.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    ohpleaseohpleaseohplease let there be new aluminum-based displays. i've been holding off getting an LCD in hopes of this rumor coming true, but there's only so much longer i can bear using my enormous beige Sony monitor with my beautiful new G5 dualie... as my mac-enthusiast friend said, "it's just not right".
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaz

ohpleaseohpleaseohplease let there be new aluminum-based displays. i've been holding off getting an LCD in hopes of this rumor coming true, but there's only so much longer i can bear using my enormous beige Sony monitor with my beautiful new G5 dualie... as my mac-enthusiast friend said, "it's just not right".

Yeah, I think you owe it to yourself to throw that beige monstrosity off a cliff once you get a brand spankin' new Apple LCD.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

To support firewire Apple just needs to use a transmissions controller, just like manufacturers did in the early days of DVI ( and often still do ). The video chips can output a raw digital stream, which is then converted ( normally to DVI ) to whatever you want.

I dont think Apple will go it alone in this area, it is too expensive to develop and manufacture. Dont think that VESA arent working on an improved DVI interface, in the mean time, it is quite feasible to gang together more DVI interfaces to drive higher resolutions ( standard DVI is already 2 channels ). High monitors can accept up to 8 channels, but clumsily, through 4 cables. Id expect to see Apple add 1 or 2 extra channels to ADC rather than use firewire.

To support 1900 X 1200 with a 24 bit color depth and 60 FPS over firewire, your talking Firewire 3200 for just one display. Unless my math is wrong.

I imagine if they have a 30" display it will be geared to the consumer/pro TV market with a 1080p HD resolution and built in DVR. I can see a firewire port on this device in order to transfer recorded DV, pictures and music back and forth. Also to use it as a second lower resolution display.