20 inch iMac Needs TV Tuner

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the screen so large now, the iMac could become the center of many people's entertainment if it had a TV tuner.....ESPECIALLY DORMS.

Apple was first with the TV tuner integration and then abandoned their lead.

The iMac is pretty big now and needs to make the best use of its space. So many PCs (especially Sony) and LCDs now include analog inputs and/or tv tuners.

Heck, throw a high def tuner in there and make use of that widescreen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Good idea. That would be a nice little added "punch" to the product, making that 20" at $2199 a bit more tempting.

Those of you in dorms and those of us in studio apartments would dig it quite a bit.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Good idea. That would be a nice little added "punch" to the product, making that 20" at $2199 a bit more tempting.

Those of you in dorms and those of us in studio apartments would dig it quite a bit.

that, and a nice optical audio out.... and i could hook up a nice 5.1 speak system up, have a sweet DVD system, tv, jukebox, gaming machine and computer all-in-one

which is exactly what the point of the iMac is suppose to be. Apple is so close to meeting exactly what I want. I need 3 more things..... 128MB graphics card, optical audio out, and a TV-Tuner/analog input.

The first two are so simple to add to the iMac....the third just..... I WANT
  • Reply 3 of 35
    That's silly, you can buy a >20" TV for $200-$300...

If you have no room, buy a laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

You have to be kidding me. There is no way you read this entire thread, thought about it, and then posted that.

No friggin' way.

At least I hope.

• Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:

please leave before embarrassing yourself further
  • Reply 6 of 35
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

THAT'S A VERY GOOD IDEA BUT... technically it is difficult as you use NTSC, we (British) are moving away from analogue to digital, and the French use Secam. You would need some sort of universal behemoth to cope with he differing standards. I think that Apple will just leave it to Formac, Dazzle etc.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Too bad Jobs thinks TV is only for morons.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Most of it is

But still...we can make that choice ourselves, can't we?

One man's "Joe Millionaire" is another man's "Masterpiece Theatre". I still think it's a neat idea, Jobs be damned.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    personnally i think having a tuner on the iMac is a good idea...but you shouldn't discount idebaser...different strokes for different folks...in truth, in a dorm room it would make more sense to spend a grand plus on an iBook and 500 or so on a nice combo dvd/vcr/tv set than 2 grand on an iMac...but choice is always good...some would love just an iMac that was also a tv (a true AIO)...some would love a G4 portable that goes to class with them and a TV at home...both are cool and a hell of a lot more than i had at college...the iPod has shown that sometimes it is best to have something do one thing well instead of trying to make something that does "everything"...if i was still in college (and not an old fart slowly looking more like christopher walken everyday) i would get the iBook 933 and this:

less than 2 grand for it all....though a 20" lcd iMac would be the shizzel and would probably help those college mac geek tap alittle more ass than they usually do...hell, who i'm i kidding, mac geeks get no play.....

g
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clayton Magnet

You have to be kidding me. There is no way you read this entire thread, thought about it, and then posted that.

No friggin' way.

At least I hope.

you're right, i only read the first 2 posts, and not the applenut's 2nd...

(i was looking at bestbuy.com tv prices)

but my point is that in a dorm, you're usually watching tv while doing homework and you have a friends or roommates over doing completely different work that wanna watch tv, too...plus, you have IM's from friends and family going on constantly...tv on your screen doesn't seem suited to dorm life at all...unless you have no homework...

considering that the iMac 17" academic price is $300 less than 20"(w/ same features), and a tv bigger than 20" can be found at bestbuy for under $300 - a 20" iMac w/ a tuner (if it could be made for all countries) wouldn't really be worth it...

though, i agree an optical out would be nice...
  • Reply 11 of 35
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Too bad Jobs thinks TV is only for morons.

He thinks it's a place for you to turn your brain off, which is different. He does it himself according to the last analyst call.

He just doesn't see any convergence there. The standards issue is a big one, too. You can basically get there with a third-party product, which isn't bad. I do see where applenut is coming from, but I'm not sure if Apple can do it on their scale, especially with the standards changing.

Now, if there was any indication that the broadcasters and producers were happy with people not only timeshifting, but loading TV shows up into iMovie and playing editor, and borrowing scenes for their own nefarious purposes, then maybe there'd be something. But what are the odds of that? The main reason the industry's switching to digital TV seems to be because there are ways to lock down and control content unilaterally and absolutely.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

you're right, i only read the first 2 posts, and not the applenut's 2nd...

(i was looking at bestbuy.com tv prices)

but my point is that in a dorm, you're usually watching tv while doing homework and you have a friends or roommates over doing completely different work that wanna watch tv, too...plus, you have IM's from friends and family going on constantly...tv on your screen doesn't seem suited to dorm life at all...unless you have no homework...

considering that the iMac 17" academic price is $300 less than 20"(w/ same features), and a tv bigger than 20" can be found at bestbuy for under $300 - a 20" iMac w/ a tuner (if it could be made for all countries) wouldn't really be worth it...

though, i agree an optical out would be nice...

i dont know about other dorms....but mine doesnt have much more space after i set up a computer.....laptop or desktop. and even if i did add a tv here, it could never be as large as 20 inches simply because i dont have the space. if the iMac had a TV tuner I COULD have a 20 inch tv because they would be occupying the same space.

and with the high resolution and 20 inches, it would not be insane to watch TV in a window while IMing or doing work. Heck, I did so on my 15 inch powerbook with crappy resolution for the World Series (my brother streamed it to me via iChat AV).

People are saying the all-in-one is dead, but I don't think Apple has taken the all-in-one all the way.

TV tuners arent that expensive. Apple was selling internal add-ons for 99 bucks back in 1996. They were included on Performas which sold for 1299, 1499, and 1699.

Now it's 2004 and we're paying 2199 and its not even an option anymore.

The old Apple TV/FM tuner supported NTSC and Secam so I don't see why that would be a problem. But I wouldn't even mind if Apple didn't support that.....go all digital....go only High-def......it's gonna be required by tv manufacturers soon enough anyways.

Innovate.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    This is why the Performa 6400 is still great (my parent still us the TV tuner in theirs).
  • Reply 14 of 35
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    You should all move to Canberra, Australia. We get our HDTV over Ethernet, you just use VLC to watch it on your computer
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

This is why the Performa 6400 is still great (my parent still us the TV tuner in theirs).

Performa 6360 owner myself.

I remember getting it for Christmas (my first computer) and just being in awe. I had watched that Saturday morning infomercial so many times and kept begging my parents to get us one.

Then the 6400 came out right after we bought it

but it's still a workhorse and still is used daily by my mom and sometimes.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I had watched that Saturday morning infomercial so many times and kept begging my parents to get us one.

Heh, I would stop whatever I was doing and watch that commercial whenever I ran across it...

My (ex)wife would tell me what a Mac geek I was, and I would ask her to get me a cold drink...
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

You should all move to Canberra, Australia. We get our HDTV over Ethernet, you just use VLC to watch it on your computer

Unfortunately you have to live in Canberra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Analog inputs would be nice too, so that I could hook up the Playstation to it. That would make the ulimate bedroom machine. DVD player built in, playstation next to it, cable...
  • Reply 19 of 35
    I don't really see the space issue complaints.. I live in a 10x12 room with my roommate, which is smaller by atleast 2 feet due to a chimney. I have a large 19 inch LCD with a large tower computer. I also have in here an old school big box stereo with large 3 foot high speakers, plus a 27 inch flat crt Sony Wega, ontop of a futon, not even counting my freinds desk and his Bass Amp. We have no lack of space what so ever in this dorm room. Aside from this LCD TV isn't all that great. I'll take my Sony over it any day, and when I get a new HDTV, I might just dump my VGA moniter for DVI inputs. No offence to apple, but why give someone an inferior quality TV picture for the cost of probably 200 dollars more, in apples largely overly priced products.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    What if they were to throw in software that would also give it Tivo-like capabilities as well?

Would that make it more worth the money?