50 greatest guy movies?!?!?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Men's Journal just published their picks for the 50 greatest 'Guy Movies'.

Men's Jounal's picks.

Some interesting choices.

CNN interview with the editor.

I've seen a good portion of these, and I do have agree that they are good movies. One movie I'd like to have seen make the list is the new Ocean's 11.

Or would that be a good 'Heist Movie'.

Let's get the rants goin'

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Men's Journal just published their picks for the 50 greatest 'Guy Movies'.

Men's Jounal's picks.

Some interesting choices.

CNN interview with the editor.

I've seen a good portion of these, and I do have agree that they are good movies. One movie I'd like to have seen make the list is the new Ocean's 11.

Or would that be a good 'Heist Movie'.

Let's get the rants goin'

Judging by the list...Oscar Wilde was right in saying :

" America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilisation in between "

8)
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I'd have had to put "Tommy Boy" on this list....

".... I've seen some wierd shit in my day... but that was TOTALLY F$$$$ING AWESOME !"
  • Reply 3 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    That list is just wrong. Fletch made it but Field of Dreams didn't?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

That list is just wrong. Fletch made it but Field of Dreams didn't?

crying, "men's movies shouldn't make you cry theory" is my guess. like their meryl rule, they probably had a crying rule.

but the reason that movie makes you cry is the reason it should have been high on the list. (i'd put it in the top 10) the second chance for a father and son to bond. especially for sons my age. there was such a wall between fathers of WWll and there sons.

i could go on about that, but that's why i think it's not on the list. men (american?) are in such denial about crying......what? NO i wasn't crying, not me.......
  • Reply 5 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Who's crying? Wuss!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Who's crying? Wuss!

oh man every time they get to the scene where he plays catch with his dad man i just f*cking lose it. you'd think the effect would diminish over time but it has not.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The Big Lebowski and Office Space made it, so I'm not complaining.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Good choices overall, but it does suffer from pre-60's amnesia. I'm disappointed also in the absence of Aliens.

And Fletch? Stick something worthwhile in there like The Right Stuff, a guy movie if there ever was one. And where's Heat? There's enough quality machismo in that movie to fill a few others.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    I think it's pretty good. It's a tough list to compile, but Dirty Harry definitely deserves the 1 spot. There are a bunch of other great Clint movies too that I think should have made it, but whatever. I'm extremely biased (positively) when it comes to action movie actors turned Californian politicians.

Note also my selection that in the "best movie lines" thread.

• Reply 10 of 27
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'm too lazy to look, but did COMMANDO make the list?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Come on Super Troopers should be the bonus movie!! Just as good as Office Space!

Come on though, on a geek board I'm surprised we haven't noted the lack of STAR WARS and perhaps even Star Trek, II VI had great action and IV was hilarious.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I'm too lazy to look, but did COMMANDO make the list?

No.

Yes, I do own the Commando DVD.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Does anyone else enjoy almost all of the movies on that list, but still think Men's Journal needlessly reinforces a stereotypical view of masculinity? I would have enjoyed the list without the assumption that enjoying Meryl Streep movies disqualifies me from being a guy. "Guy Movies" isn't a very meaningful distinction, as almost all of the movies can be enjoyed by women as well.

"Culturally, guys often get the short end of the stick."

I don't know how anyone could justify that...
  • Reply 14 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Hey, what about Top Gun? The list can't be complete without that movie.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

No.

Yes, I do own the Commando DVD.

i own commando, raw deal, red heat, running man and predater on laser disc! 80's ahnode was the best, especially when he promoted them, he was always saying: "it"s fantastic! it's got action and adventure, it's incredible!"

which reminds me of a line from raw deal which i will now place in the great lines thread.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I can't believe I forgot about Top Gun! Surely a highlight of 80's moviemaking.

I, too, own the Commando DVD. It sits proudly next to Conan the Barbarian and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, with these bookended in turn with Citizen Kane and The Conversation so I that don't feel too guilty.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ummmmm

Wha.. Top Gun Gay? Excuse me if I don't take Mr. Quentin's comments too seriously. It's been years since I've seen the movie but I don't think I would trust that conversation.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Does anyone else enjoy almost all of the movies on that list, but still think Men's Journal needlessly reinforces a stereotypical view of masculinity? I would have enjoyed the list without the assumption that enjoying Meryl Streep movies disqualifies me from being a guy. "Guy Movies" isn't a very meaningful distinction, as almost all of the movies can be enjoyed by women as well.

"Culturally, guys often get the short end of the stick."

I don't know how anyone could justify that...

Shut up. your vagina is dripping.

As for the Ahnold collection, I've got Commando, Red Heat, and Total Recall. . . and the brand, spanking new Special Edition Pumping Iron DVD. Whenever I see one on sale, I tend to pick it up.

And The Raw Deal. . . I like that one. It's a bit different than the other 80's arnold movies.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Shut up. your vagina is dripping.

Exactly.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Remember, there is a difference in being 'one of the guys' and being a man. A girl can be 'one of the guys'. This list is about 'Guy Movies'.

That said, I would liked to have seen Hudson Hawk on that list, but oh well.

Clockwork Orange- great cinema, violent, too arty for their criteria.

Field of Dreams- American Inspirational, Mom, apple pie and the American way. not a guy movie, too easily enjoyed by chicks.

This list isn't about Movies for men, or movies that women won't dig, but movies that are perfect for 'the guys', not 'chicks'.