Pros=dual, consumer=single?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does the change to dual 1.8 G5's point the way for dual processor in the pro line and single in consumer models?

Supply of chips dictate much, but I'm wondering if this will be the way to differentiate the two lines given that the iMac will invariably need to go G5 at some point.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    It would make sense for them to do that and it seems to be what they are doing. The problem really isn't the highend anymore. It's with the midrange units. At the same time I find it hard to see Apple having dual G5s (insert Mhz) on the high-end and then single G5s on the midrange. Although this might solve the need for more consumer power. It's a real problem for Apple. The pro line is pulling away from the consumer line in terms of power and technology. Having a AIO like the iMac that is so based on form factor and not power is a major problem. It would be so much easier for Apple to use a consumer tower.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Probably.

I'm waiting and hoping for duals in the consumer lines, though. Ironically, that architecture makes more sense for consumers because they don't generally need to run one task really quickly (meaning that programmers don't even have to accommodate the unusual architecture), but they do generally have multiple things going on, and from a usability standpoint it's important to maintain a responsive interface with people who don't know a lot about computers and don't have a lot of confidence using them.

Even games aren't really an exception to this, since the most overwhelmingly popular games (web-based games, card games, minesweeper, Trogdor!!!) will run just fine on a G3, and the people looking to run whichever FPS is crushing the latest and greatest hardware today aren't looking at Apple's consumer line anyway.