MacOS X 10.3.2

zozo
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Quote:

Apple is readying the next (minor) update to Mac OS X 10.3 and has provided developers with an advance seed of Version 10.3.2, marked build 7D12, which will include updates to networking, graphics drivers, and USB as welll as WebDAV, international text, and AFP Server, according to Microsoft Watch. The update follows the release of Mac OS X 10.3.1, which offered improvements to WebDAV, FileVault, and FireWire 800 drive usage, as well as tweaks to disk image mounting, printing, and iDisk access.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1387447,00.asp

According to... MICROSOFT WATCH??????????????

Are they THAT desperate for news???? Windows has gotten that boring that to get people intereste din their site they have OSX news? Wow...

rest of article:

Quote:

Apple Primes 10.3.2 'Panther' Update

By_Nick Ciarelli

Just a week after rolling out its first Mac OS X 10.3 service release, Apple is prepping the next update.

Apple Computer Inc. is priming the next update to Mac OS X 10.3, sources said, only a week after rolling out the first service release to the "Panther" OS.

On Monday, the company provided developers with an advance seed of Version 10.3.2, marked build 7D12.

Version 10.3.2 will include updates to networking, graphics drivers, and USB, sources said. The update will also improve WebDAV, international text, and AFP Server, Apple reportedly told testers in a brief release note.

On November 10, Apple releasedthe 10.3.1 update, which included changes to WebDAV, FileVault, and FireWire 800 drive usage, as well as tweaks to disk image mounting, printing, and iDisk access. The FileVault and FireWire updates addressed bugs which had surfaced concerning those areas; Appleacknowledged a glitch with Panther's initial release causing data loss for some customers with external FireWire 800 drives, and in November, some users of the FileVault security feature reportedlosing application data when attempting to reclaim disk space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    at this rate, i think we'll get up to 10.3.20...
  • Reply 2 of 111
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Nick Ciarelli has also co-written a lot of rumormongering articles with Matthew Rothenberg, and it's been said that he writes under a nom de plume as well.

Apparently Microsoft Watch is becoming interested in alternatives - this isn't the first time they've paid close attention to OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 111
    i dont care if it goes up to 10.3.100, as long as it fixes everything, so be it.
  • Reply 4 of 111
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    The graphics drivers better get my Geforce2mx card working with more than 256 megs again!

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

The graphics drivers better get my Geforce2mx card working with more than 256 megs again!

Nick

What do you mean? I have a Geforce2mx and everything seems to be fine and dandy.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by 10splayer

i dont care if it goes up to 10.3.100, as long as it fixes everything, so be it.

Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Ummm...

10.3.20 is the same as 10.3.2

10.3.100 is the same as 10.3.1

Think counting... when you get to 10.3.9 the next nuber up would be 10.4, if they wanted to keep the update within the 10.3 branding... they would up it by 0.0.05 to 10.3.95. However they could add another level to the version system... 10.3.9.1 for example... but that would be a non-standard and one hell of a long ver. number.

• Reply 7 of 111
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Ummm...

10.3.20 is the same as 10.3.2

10.3.100 is the same as 10.3.1

Think counting... when you get to 10.3.9 the next nuber up would be 10.4, if they wanted to keep the update within the 10.3 branding... they would up it by 0.0.05 to 10.3.95. However they could add another level to the version system... 10.3.9.1 for example... but that would be a non-standard and one hell of a long ver. number.

I've seen versions with four and five separate levels of versioning, and I've seen double-digit version numbers as well.

They're not common, but they're out there.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I've seen versions with four and five separate levels of versioning, and I've seen double-digit version numbers as well.

They're not common, but they're out there.

Double digits in which level? OSX has double digits in its top level (10.) and it could have double digits in its lower levels too but only to show a marginal increase... like the 10.3.95 example I gave where the .95 is not the 95th update but just an update to the 9th update. nine and one half if you will.

Yes multi-level numbering systems are out there... but my fav. goes to the date version system... by far the most numbers.

For example... if my program (lets call it joker) was first built on the 20th of July 2001 then the version number would be... 20010720joker. Then the next update would come a month and 3 days later giving you this... 20010823joker. This is a 103 version number difference for only one realease. This system if often used when pounding out alpha and beta labeled programs between programers.

anyway...
  • Reply 9 of 111
    Maybe panther is the equivalent of a full employment act for apple programmers.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Double digits in which level? OSX has double digits in its top level (10.) and it could have double digits in its lower levels too but only to show a marginal increase... like the 10.3.95 example I gave where the .95 is not the 95th update but just an update to the 9th update. nine and one half if you will.

Um... no.

Version numbers are strictly linear in every rational, accepted system I've ever seen.

10.3.9 would be followed by 10.3.10.

10.3.99 would be followed by 10.3.100.

10.3.5431 would be followed by 10.3.5432.

The format is X.Y.Z, where X is the major release (*BIG* new features, large architectural changes, etc), Y is the minor release (some new features, added components), Z is the bugfix release (patches problems, *might* include some new minor stuff).

X, Y, and Z are *COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT* numbers. They have no correlation. Incrementing one has nothing to do with the next one to the left. Nothing. It's not math, it's simply a series of build descriptors.

10.3.9 + one-more-build = 10.3.10, *NOT* 10.4.

Going from 10.3.x to 10.4 resets the Z number, so 10.4 is just shorthand for 10.4.0.

And Amorph is right, I've seen build versioning numbers several levels deep. Um... I think six is the most I can definitely point to right now as an example. SGI IRIX system, had an OpenGL component that we asked for help from SGI with. Received a patch to the then current public patch. (X.Y.Z.W). We found a bug. They branched a new dev path. (X.Y.Z.W.V). Repeat. (X.Y.Z.W.V.U) When they released the next public patch, it was all rolled in, and we then had (X.Y.Z+1). Simple, see?
  • Reply 11 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Well, you know what they say, Apple seeds a new build and goes to lunch while it compiles. MS seeds a new build, goes home for the weekend and hopes it's done by Monday. (Or something like that) It could happen!
  • Reply 12 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

According to... MICROSOFT WATCH??????????????

I like Microsoft-Watch. Neowin too. P.S. Check out the very top of the Neowin site, and the far-right side... Aqua stripes?!?!? And this is a Win site?!
  • Reply 13 of 111
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

That would be called 10.3.9.5
  • Reply 14 of 111
    we'll probably see 10.3.3 by the end of the year, or maybe the beginning of next year.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

What do you mean? I have a Geforce2mx and everything seems to be fine and dandy.

Is yours in a Sawtooth G4? The issue is only with the original G4 towers. Mine is a G4@450.

Nick
  • Reply 16 of 111
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Apache 1.3.28 is newer than Apache 1.3.4 ... Why? Because 28 is higher than 4. Just a different way of counting - and quite common in UNIX programs' version numbering. I just hope we'll see 10.3.10 after 10.3.9 to quiet this talk. ;-)
  • Reply 17 of 111
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    This site seems to think the update will weigh in around 15MB, while other sites I've seem mention a 60MB upgrade! Hopefully , what ever it is, it will include an update to make FontBook more usable.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    I just thought that I would interject that version number are what is called a tuple. That is a series of data grouped together and separated by a delineator, in the case of version numbers a series of numbers (sometimes with letters attached) separated by the "." character. As Kickaha said, each bit of data in the series is semi-independent.

Usually tuples are used to describe hierarchal information. Tuples are used all over computer science: IP addresses (127.0.0.1), file paths (MacintoshHDesktop:some file), binary tree addresses, etc...

edit to remove the accidental smily ( : and D together....)
  • Reply 19 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Um... no.

Version numbers are strictly linear in every rational, accepted system I've ever seen.

10.3.9 would be followed by 10.3.10.

10.3.99 would be followed by 10.3.100.

10.3.5431 would be followed by 10.3.5432.

The format is X.Y.Z, where X is the major release (*BIG* new features, large architectural changes, etc), Y is the minor release (some new features, added components), Z is the bugfix release (patches problems, *might* include some new minor stuff).

X, Y, and Z are *COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT* numbers. They have no correlation. Incrementing one has nothing to do with the next one to the left. Nothing. It's not math, it's simply a series of build descriptors.

10.3.9 + one-more-build = 10.3.10, *NOT* 10.4.

Going from 10.3.x to 10.4 resets the Z number, so 10.4 is just shorthand for 10.4.0.

And Amorph is right, I've seen build versioning numbers several levels deep. Um... I think six is the most I can definitely point to right now as an example. SGI IRIX system, had an OpenGL component that we asked for help from SGI with. Received a patch to the then current public patch. (X.Y.Z.W). We found a bug. They branched a new dev path. (X.Y.Z.W.V). Repeat. (X.Y.Z.W.V.U) When they released the next public patch, it was all rolled in, and we then had (X.Y.Z+1). Simple, see?

Well I did not want to get trapped in using panther as an example I wanted to relate to a general rule of thumb when numbering software versions.

I never said Amorph was wrong?! In fact I supported his statment.

I deal with a lot of different ways to number software. I was to understand OSX was numbered in a different fashion but if your right then I stand corrected. I think there should be a standard with software, it would make things simple.

Thanks for the info, I will have to sculd the person who tought me different.
  • Reply 20 of 111
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I tried posting the BOM for you guys but it was too long. Some (apparent) highlights:

Apple File Server

SystemUIServer

WebDAV

FontBook

Ton of ATi, NVidia, OpenGL and Graphics stuff

Ton of Audio stuff

Storage I/O

Something about Fans (probably for G5s)

and a bunch more. If anyone has a particular extension name they're looking for, I'm taking requests.