how many itunes downloads thusfar???

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    That has to be a glitch of some sort, or a stunt by Roxio. You just don't go from 1700 downloads per day to 5 million.

Maybe they started factoring in the downloads of the original Napster?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

MusicMatch has MusicMatch Pro.

And that's a "money-maker"? Hardly. And their market is going to diminish even more with iTunes doing for free what you had to pay for before.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigApple

On download.com the 'Napster 2.0' version is reported with 5.200.463 downloads. The prefious number on 11-16-2003 was 68.083?

Has Napster found a way to out-number the iTunes downloads ;-)

Downloads to Roxio employees: 5,132,380. Hm, wonder if there is a delayed reaction to its release? Anyway, song sales numbers will tell the tale.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Downloads to Roxio employees: 5,132,380. Hm, wonder if there is a delayed reaction to its release? Anyway, song sales numbers will tell the tale.

Now the number of dowloads is gone from the site. No number at all. Strange. \
  • Reply 25 of 27
    The thing that is amazing to me is that iTunes downloads for Windows is out pacing iTunes 4.1 downloads for the Mac. At least at Download.com. Anyone know where to find the numbers for those downloading direct from Apple?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Given the enormous number of people just on XP and Win2K relative to OS X, it's not surprising really. I mean if 1% of those people download iTunes that's some huge number right there -- 5 million? 10 million? 50 million? Dunno exactly, and too lazy to look it up.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    i honestly think the only real "threat" to iTunes is MIcrosoft's own offering, which they say is pending.

sure it'll be a piece of crap, but this is Microsoft. they dont' have to make a profit (see: XBox), they don't have to make a products as elegant as an iPod (see: Xbox), and they can afford to lose millions of dollars for a number of years just so people use their product (and, more importantly for MS, their proprietary format). it's a typical Microsoft story, and we've seen it before, and they've won many battles like this.

iTunes is obviously the standard right now. it's the most popular music platform and when people think online music shopping, they think "iTunes". whether it remains this way, in my opinion, is whether they gain enough foothold and broad-based recognition before Microsoft comes out with their own, sub-standard solution. they need that Pepsi (and possibly McDonalds) promotion soon.

very interesting times.