For those of you who haven't gone to Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If you're still using Jaguar, what version are you using? I'm still running 10.2.7 and I'm debating whether to go with 10.2.8 or just make the jump into Panther.

I want to add a USB 2.0 card to my PowerMac dual 1.25GHz and I want to be able to use USB 2.0 high speed without any problems.

I have the Panther box sitting on my desk, but after hearing about so many minor problems I want to wait until more bugs have been worked out (maybe 10.3.2 or 10.3.3). That said, I know a few people have had problems with the 10.2.8 update.

So, what are you OSX folks running if not Panther? Are the 10.2.8 problems a thing of the past or not?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    INSTALL PANTHER RIGHT NOW!!!

What are you waiting for? Here's what you got to do:

1. Back up your hard drive.

2. Reformat it.

3. Install Panther + all your apps

4. Install the 10.3.1 update.

5. Download the Firewire patch from the manufacturers

5. Fix permisions.

You'll regret you didn't do it sooner. Panther is the equivalent of the jump from

10.0 to 10.1, or 10.1 to 10.2.

10.3 rules my life in every different direction. When I use Jaguar, I get irritated.

Do it now!!
  • Reply 2 of 55
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    do NOT INSTALL 10.2.8!!!! It is a DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!

I am limping along waiting for $70 to get Panther. Meanwhile my computer's audio skips, can't boot with a disc in, and has other flaky problems that 10.2.6 never had. \

Panther looks sooo nice I can't wait. Then again, maybe I can, for the bugs to be shaken out...
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

INSTALL PANTHER RIGHT NOW!!!

What are you waiting for? Here's what you got to do:

1. Back up your hard drive.

2. Reformat it.

3. Install Panther + all your apps

4. Install the 10.3.1 update.

5. Download the Firewire patch from the manufacturers

5. Fix permisions.

You'll regret you didn't do it sooner. Panther is the equivalent of the jump from

10.0 to 10.1, or 10.1 to 10.2.

10.3 rules my life in every different direction. When I use Jaguar, I get irritated.

Do it now!!

The reason I'm waiting to install Panther is that I run a small photo studio and I'm VERY busy right now (lots of Holiday season photos this time of year). I am busy in Photoshop and printing photos most of the day. I've read reports on a couple different photographer forums where people where having trouble getting printers to work and having other weird problems (some of those problems I suspect had to do with external firewire 800 drives).

Anyway, I really can't afford to have technical problems that prevent me from finishing jobs for clients right now. I might just be parnoid and worrying about nothing, but that's the reason Panther is still in the box and I haven't updated to 10.2.8.

Are there any forum members here who use PS on a regular basis who can tell me they haven't had any problems with Panther or 10.2.8? The main reason I started this thread is that I have a new printer and a new film scanner that use USB 2.0 that I'd like to use at full speed rather than slower USB 1.1 speeds. I was told that only 10.2.8 and Panther are able to recognize USB 2.0 and run it at high speed, so I don't want to buy the USB 2.0 card and install it in my PowerMac unless I can use the higher speeds ... but I also don't want to create other problems that prevent me from finishing my work in a timely manner because I updated to a new OS that's causing problems.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Lotta bad news from my 10.2.8 research of a few weeks ago. Decided to stay with 10.2.7 until 10.3.1 was ready. Running 10.3.1 now, problem free.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by C-Bear

Lotta bad news from my 10.2.8 research of a few weeks ago. Decided to stay with 10.2.7 until 10.3.1 was ready. Running 10.3.1 now, problem free.

Well, there's a little more good news.

Does anyone reading this thread use Kodak professional dye-sub photo printers (8500) and a Mac running Panther? Again, I'm paranoid that I'll suddenly have printer problems if I upgrade to Panther. I've read several comments in other forums from people who reported Epson printer problems with Panther ... but those problems may have been user related, not Panther's fault.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

Well, there's a little more good news.

Does anyone reading this thread use Kodak professional dye-sub photo printers (8500) and a Mac running Panther? Again, I'm paranoid that I'll suddenly have printer problems if I upgrade to Panther. I've read several comments in other forums from people who reported Epson printer problems with Panther ... but those problems may have been user related, not Panther's fault.

In general, if you're under a time crunch, it's best to stay with what works, however slowly. Wait until you have more time to make any significant changes. I haven't had any problems with 10.3 that caused any significant issues, but if I were in your position, I'd wait.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    my 10.2.8 is running awesome. i have my 800mhz emac running faster than dual 1Ghz powermac's in a lab here at my university. i'll go to panther (which i can get for $50) after another update probably. and i'm just gonna throw in the cd after a few backups--i dont wanna reformat if i dont have to.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Running 10.2.6 on my Ghz Tibook. I will not be ever updating to 10.2.8 since what I am using now works fine.

I have 10.3.1 running on an ibook, and still have problems accessing one of my firewire drives from it. There are also some graphics issues, notably in word. I will probably update the powerbook to 10.3.2 when it becomes available, but there is little reason to do so now and more reasons not to. 10.2.6 is not in the way of my workflow, so moving to panther is not a necessity.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    ? 10.1.5? Panther, soon.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

? 10.1.5? Panther, soon.

Oh OW... You're killin' me here.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i'm going to 2nd this....DON'T RUN 10.2.8!!!!

i put it on my B&W only to lose all internect connectivity and have all CD burnings turn into coasters. this was AFTER 10.2.8 was 'fixed'

yeah, stick with 10.2.7
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

I want to add a USB 2.0 card to my PowerMac dual 1.25GHz and I want to be able to use USB 2.0 high speed without any problems.

How is it that your running 10.2.7 if your on a dual 1.25 ghz G4? 10.2.7 was a special build for G5s. It wasn't available on software update, but I believe it was on apple.com. Why would you use a version of an OS that wasn't built for your computer and be afraid to upgrade to one that is. It will speed up your machine, it's not buggy, it works, just like all other mac products. If you have the Panther box sitting there it seems like a big waste of $130 to me. Just upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I'm running 10.2.8 and have sleep problems. I'll join in saying:

Stay where you are!
  • Reply 14 of 55
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Running 10.2.8 with no problems. Thinking about picking up Panther with my student discount once I'm not so poor.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    I'm still on Jaguar waiting for M-Audio to work out their shit so my Revolution will work without problems. Using 10.2 (yes, 10.2.0) because my hard drive f-cked up and my internet is too crappy for me to update the software....
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I'm running 10.2.8 and have sleep problems. I'll join in saying:

Stay where you are!

Are you sure it is OS related? Every time I have had sleep problems (slow sleep times) it has been due to a process holding it up. Isolate the process, fix it, and happy times are here again.

10.2.8 for me has been fine, until I change something and break it, but waiting for FW drive before updating to Panther - going for the clean install.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I had some connectivity problems when I first updated to 10.2.8 from 10.2.6. Since then, I had planned on buying Panther, but ran out of money.

However, I had already wiped my hard drive back to the factory installation. So, after downloading 100 Mb on dialup, I'm back to 10.2.8 and having no problems. So, it's possible that the problem stems from updating 10.2.6 to .8 rather than a problem with .8 in general.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I'm running 10.2.8 and it's fine.

Not to say everyone will be but thought I'd weigh in to show you that not everyone has problems

Amorya
  • Reply 19 of 55
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    10.2.8 is fine on my Quicksilver 933. Instead of making global statements about the update, how's about mentioning your setup.

Actually, I won't be Panthering until I have confirmed that all of my necessary software and peripherals are supported without issue. No more suprises for me. Been there, done that.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    I'm using 10.2.6 and it works like a charm! I can't install Panther yet because I have a MCE CD/DVD-RW drive in my TiBook and there are reports on the Web that Panther is not compatible with it.