Hilarious Microsoft lie

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
See it here.See it here.

That's like saying that a lightbulb won't work if you don't hire an electrician to install it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    The adnouncement:

Quote:

Originally posted by Microsoft

?So you let a friend install your OS?

75% of the computers in which the OS wasn't installed by the reseller - crash!?

It implies those would be pirated copies of XP, and that is inaccurate, pirated XP being, most of the time, just as stable as one acquired from and installed by an authorised reseller.

That ad is likely to have zero impact on the costumers, those who would have bought a legal copy anyway will keep doing so, and those would not have will keep doing so as well.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    100% of the computers that Windows has been installed on... suck!
  • Reply 3 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Yeah...it doesn't much matter...it'll suck no matter what you do to it.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    You could have an authorized tech install it and it would still crash, I don't get it.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    weird part is about 100% of tech installed ones i've seen crash, so 75% seems pretty good.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Isn´t ms really saying "We put so little work into the installer that noone but trained computer professionals can use it"?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I installed XP and it didn't crash for me. I always like to think of myself as a more enlightened computer user, but if I can install windows without it crashing I mid as well just become MS certified!

What exactly is so hard about settings windows up with a computer, even 98 wasn't very difficult...time consuming but not difficult.

...last time I checked there wasn't a checkbox marked crash.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

...last time I checked there wasn't a checkbox marked crash.

That's because crashing isn't an option.

</cheap shot>
  • Reply 9 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    it doesn't read like 75% crash on install, it reads like 75% crash ever.

and if you're telling me you have a PC that NEVER crashes, i'll be impressed.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

As an interesting aside, that particular style of wheelie bin is standard council issue for all householders in Adelaide : Australia ....wonder who makes them & where they are made ?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    I actually have a homebuilt pc that doesn't crash. I have never had xp just crash on me. I guess I am really luck.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

As an interesting aside, that particular style of wheelie bin is standard council issue for all householders in Adelaide : Australia ....wonder who makes them & where they are made ?

From my fathers experience with the same model it must be Microsoft. But then again it could be because he installed it himself.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T9000

I actually have a homebuilt pc that doesn't crash. I have never had xp just crash on me. I guess I am really luck.

Me too. But I think people who can build their own computers have a better understanding of how they work in general...XP can be pretty damn stable if you know what you're doing.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    crashed so bad it killed the monitor?

man, that's blue screen of death for ya.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

crashed so bad it killed the monitor?

man, that's blue screen of death for ya.

Hahaha.

Looks like our do-it-yourself man also managed to screw up the mouse driver installation so badly it somehow killed it physically too.

Oh it brings back bad memories. Killed a Bondwell "portable" once because its serial port expected a external floppy drive and I gave it a printer. Took out everything. Port, motherboard, HD, screen AND the printer. Only usable thing left was the keyboard.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Isn´t ms really saying "We put so little work into the installer that noone but trained computer professionals can use it"?

MS put so little work into their OS that no one should use it. Right now they are busy trying to take over the world, and copying OS X and calling it longhorn instead of developing their OS.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Hahaha.

Looks like our do-it-yourself man also managed to screw up the mouse driver installation so badly it somehow killed it physically too.

Oh it brings back bad memories. Killed a Bondwell "portable" once because its serial port expected a external floppy drive and I gave it a printer. Took out everything. Port, motherboard, HD, screen AND the printer. Only usable thing left was the keyboard.

Gaah?!? How is that possible?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    i would guess the printer had two way communication, and it ended up sending power IN to a port that only wanted power going OUT.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i would guess the printer had two way communication, and it ended up sending power IN to a port that only wanted power going OUT.

They shipped computers that couldn't deal with mismatched data pins? Wow, that's pretty bad.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

arrgghhh... I knew I shouldn't have installed VPC and XP on my cube... It now officially sucks.... bu-hu...